Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 Pilot has a wire/ground strap in a black plastic corrugated sheath that is starting to look a little too crusty for my tastes. Some of the woven wires that make it up are broken near the eyelet that attaches it to the radiator support. The other end of the strap is attached to an area on the driver's side of the front cylinder head. Any clue what Honda calls this part and/or do you know the part number? I went on a honda oem part site to try to find it, but can't be sure if I found the right one.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
I'd like to know too. I was changing spark plugs today on my 04 and noticed the same thing - corrosion and about half of the copper strands inside the cable were broken off where it meets the crimp connector. I'm sure Autozone has a generic one of approximately the same length, but I'm curious if there's a better one.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Definitely replace that. It does not need to be OEM. I'm assuming it's a single wire from the frame to the engine. Just be sure the cable you buy is of equal or more thickness. Clean the surface free of rust and corrosion. Then strap where needed to be secure.
Unless you want OEM.

Reactions: ConrodM and aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
...And then slather it generously in dielectric grease.

It Happens

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
58 Posts
I purchased this tool a while back when I did an amp install on my car. I can't tell what gauge that wire is, but if it's 8 or larger, you need something like this. Only if you are going the DIY route.
Lug Crimper

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm sure Autozone has a generic one of approximately the same length, but I'm curious if there's a better one.
Auto parts stores should have battery-type cables crimped on each end in various lengths that can serve as a ground strap. Optional heavy slathering with grease as pictured may be useful...lol

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Optional heavy slathering with grease as pictured may be useful...lol
I almost bought this. Just told myself I didn't need it. Glad it's optional. Lol

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Just a ground strap for the engine block. Ask any hot rodder you know how their engine ran when they deleted the engine block ground strap (as most do when working on them). Having ran my Impala with and without the ground strap I will always use a ground strap.

Maybe your case isn't an emergency but I'd look to replace it when you get some free time.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
58 Posts
Looks like a new terminal!! Very Nicely Done! What size fit the grounding wire? Mine's looking a little corroded too.
Thanks
That's the 8 Gauge ground for an amp install I did.
I purchased this tool a while back when I did an amp install on my car. I can't tell what gauge that wire is, but if it's 8 or larger, you need something like this. Only if you are going the DIY route.
Lug Crimper
Here is the final result, I sadly couldn't find any thing before the heatshrink was put on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2008 Pilot has a wire/ground strap in a black plastic corrugated sheath that is starting to look a little too crusty for my tastes. Some of the woven wires that make it up are broken near the eyelet that attaches it to the radiator support. The other end of the strap is attached to an area on the driver's side of the front cylinder head. Any clue what Honda calls this part and/or do you know the part number? I went on a honda oem part site to try to find it, but can't be sure if I found the right one.

View attachment 134703
Genuine Honda Pilot Ground Battery Cable 32610-S9V-A00

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
This time Walmart Never EverStart beats OEM wire on price, gauge and availability. So inexpensive one should change every crusty ground wire. View attachment 144772
My 08 needs it.
I'm too lazy when it's cold, and my finger is still healing.

Aren't there like 2 or 3 ground straps also? One to the tranny too?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
My 08 needs it.

Yes to the tranny, radiator support x2 . Follow the negative wire from the battery for your specific year Pilot.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
My 08 needs it.

There's enough of them it's odd to see so many poor grounding problems. So many grounds, so little vaseline, I mean, dielectric grease. By gosh, maybe it's time for a case of spray Flexseal.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
There's enough of them it's odd to see so many poor grounding problems. So many grounds, so little vaseline, I mean, dielectric grease. By gosh, maybe it's time for a case of spray Flexseal.
When a German car doesn’t start everyone knows it’s BMW (bring my wallet). Fortunately I tested for ground while waiting for the tow truck who was on the way hours late and found the bad ground wire. I’ve become a big believer that grounds are as important or more than crappy positive.
Some lube might do some good 😌
Gesture Artifact Natural material Rectangle Font
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Gas Rim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts