Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Does anyone know the part number for the clamp that hold the boot to the inner tie rod? I can't seem to find anyone who sells it. Any help apreciated.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,403 Posts
Lots of videos on boot clamp tools on YouTube.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Grab the old one or the size, and visit your POLAPS (Plain Old Local Parts Store) for a generic/universal replacement. Use the correct tool to set the clamp, so the tension doesn't go away. Seeing a clamp set with pliers says 'hack' in big letters. To me anyway.

Reactions: Franku

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used zip ties when I replaced my tie rods a few weeks ago. A mechanic in one of the youtube videos I watched did it that way, so I figured it was good enough for me. Use pliers to get them as tight as you can.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Friends... Cable Ties are what you use until you can put a real clamp those boots. Especially on the outers, where steering angle is added to suspension-travel angle, cable ties don't clamp hard enough to keep the boots in place, especially at the big end.

Do it like you mean it.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Pardon... I was thinking half-shaft CV joint boots for some reason. Still a Good Idea to use the right Oetiker-style clamps, but a tie-wrap might be OK for the boot on the rack. To me it looks less than half fast. but might function alright.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Pardon... I was thinking half-shaft CV joint boots for some reason. Still a Good Idea to use the right Oetiker-style clamps, but a tie-wrap might be OK for the boot on the rack. To me it looks less than half fast. but might function alright.
Keep several extra tie-wraps in the Pilot for such emergencies on the road or securing a varmint or two

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Amen! Tie-wraps, a few bungee cords, towels and window cleaner, a few large heavy-duty yard-sized trash bags, work gloves, rechargeable flashlight, portable battery compressor, spare bulbs, jump-start box... Maybe a bottle of maple syrup or something. As long as we've had the car (fall 2012) and the driving done, I can safely say that I've never used any of the ride-along fixit-kit stuff on our own car. Done a few field-service help sessions for others who were stranded though.

That said, it's unlikely that I'll be doing field repairs on tie-rod or even CV joint boots.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Amen! Tie-wraps, a few bungee cords, towels and window cleaner, a few large heavy-duty yard-sized trash bags, work gloves, rechargeable flashlight, portable battery compressor, spare bulbs, jump-start box... Maybe a bottle of maple syrup or something. As long as we've had the car (fall 2012) and the driving done, I can safely say that I've never used any of the ride-along fixit-kit stuff on our own car. Done a few field-service help sessions for others who were stranded though.

That said, it's unlikely that I'll be doing field repairs on tie-rod or even CV joint boots.
Maple Syrup? What, no waffle maker, box of batter, powdered milk, water, cured bacon, and generator all to go with the Maple Syrup?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Maple syrup.... Just checking to see who's paying attention. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for all the replies. I decided to go with a 175# ziptie. I did find the part number for the clamp 53449-SZA-A01. But unfortunately I need to get the car moving and I dont have the time to wait for a special order.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts