Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I’m new here so I do apologize of mixing topics. I have 2005 Pilot which died while driving at 60 mph. I cannot start it. What I found so far is: ignition coils are fine, no error codes, I can read RPM’s from computer, fuel pump is ok, PGM-F1 relay is ok, timing belt was checked and is ok, I have compression, three rear cylinders are in great condition but three front are dirty and black. Would it be possible that all three injectors died I doubt however there might be something with the main unit, so I’m looking for the voltages they should have. I did ask Honda Poland for new ones but they told me it’s gonna be about $2500.00 so I’m looking also for other opportunities to take from the other Honda model from these years but not sure if they are going to fit. Another option which is coming to my head is that valves are closed. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,165 Posts
Did you get any warning lights before the engine died?
Have you measured battery voltage to verify the alternator hadn’t failed?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I see 3 spark plugs that are black. Are all 3 on the same bank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you get any warning lights before the engine died?
Have you measured battery voltage to verify the alternator hadn’t failed?
Once check engine came up due to failed catalytic converter, however after while disappeared w/o reseting faults. Battery is 12.3V and I’ve been switching batteries from my other cars. Not sure about alternator, cannot check it easily. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is 4WD, and I was looking for such main relay PCB however I couldn’t find it in my 2005 model, instead I found 4 small Mitsuba 5104/5102 relays and those are ok. If you know the location of this main relay PCB please give me the hint. I was trying to find it under dash next to the steering column. Doors are closing and opening w/o any issues, but it might be a solder joint somewhere. Thanks.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Just off the top of my head, in some model years the main relay and the main fuel relay are tucked up behind the inside the cabin passenger side and driver side fuse boxes, respectively. Really hard to find and access.

But here are some more relays to check on a 2005.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Yes, these three black sparks are from the one front bank.
What engine codes does the vehicle have? 3 fouled plugs on one bank could be caused by a bad 02 sensor. The ECU could be dumping fuel into the bank these plugs came from.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What engine codes does the vehicle have? 3 fouled plugs on one bank could be caused by a bad 02 sensor. The ECU could be dumping fuel into the bank these plugs came from.
It was p0430, but I left it untouched. It can be a reason why all those spark plugs are so black. Do you think it can be a reason for engine to not start? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
It was p0430, but I left it untouched. It can be a reason why all those spark plugs are so black. Do you think it can be a reason for engine to not start? Thanks!
That's an emission code for bank 2.
If no other codes, I'd start with basic maintenance.
  • Air filter New/Clean
  • Air intake tube no cracks, air tight.
  • If a cracked air intake tube has been pulling in dirt a long time, remove and clean throttle body, inside and out.
  • Spark plugs clean or replace
  • Spark plug tubes oil free
  • If spark tubes have oil, replace valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals.
  • Coils all firing oil free, replace rubber boots if swollen from being soaked with oil.
  • Replace PCV valve
  • Clean EGR passages
  • Replace/Clean EGR valve if high milage and/or if the EGR passages are blocked.
  • Use full synthetic oil in recommended weight. (No blends or Extended Performance oil)
  • Use Top Tier 87 octane fuel or use injector cleaner regularly
  • Italian tune up

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[QUOTE="Nail Grease, post: 1713977, member: 307996"
That's an emission code for bank 2.
If no other codes, I'd start with basic maintenance.
  • Air filter New/Clean
  • Air intake tube no cracks, air tight.
  • If a cracked air intake tube has been pulling in dirt a long time, remove and clean throttle body, inside and out.
  • Spark plugs clean or replace
  • Spark plug tubes oil free
  • If spark tubes have oil, replace valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals.
  • Coils all firing oil free, replace rubber boots if swollen from being soaked with oil.
  • Replace PCV valve
  • Clean EGR passages
  • Replace/Clean EGR valve if high milage and/or if the EGR passages are blocked.
  • Use full synthetic oil in recommended weight. (No blends or Extended Performance oil)
  • Use Top Tier 87 octane fuel or use injector cleaner regularly
  • Italian tune up
[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much! I didn’t say that my Pilot has LPG installation so I’m removing it right now.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Once check engine came up due to failed catalytic converter, however after while disappeared w/o reseting faults. Battery is 12.3V and I’ve been switching batteries from my other cars. Not sure about alternator, cannot check it easily. Thanks.
What is the reason you’ve been switching batteries? If the batteries weren’t being charged correctly that could lead to issues. I’d expect a good battery to measure between 12.6V and 13.2V with the vehicle off. 12.3V with vehicle off seems on the low side. That could be the sign of a bad battery or the alternator starting to fail. But people typically see the dash lights illuminate or do strange things when the battery voltage drops too low.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When it died on the road I was trying to start it however no luck, and that is why battery also died and the reason why I took it from my other car. Have both batteries one year old from Bosh. 12.3V my multimeter shows.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Okay, 12.3V on a battery where you tried multiple times unsuccessfully to start the vehicle makes sense. It’s probably not the battery or alternator then, but those were easy things to rule out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts