Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, I just received a letter in the mail Honda is extending the warranty around emissions and the injectors to 10 years or 150,000 miles! Past work is reimbursable!

Title reads:

Warranty Extension: MIL Comes On with DTC P0420/P0430, P030x, and/or PA219A/B (With Software Update)

2016-17 Pilot, Ridgeline, and 2018 Odyssey models covered.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Past work is reimbursable!

Wow!

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
FYI, I just received a letter in the mail Honda is extending the warranty around emissions and the injectors to 10 years or 150,000 miles! Past work is reimbursable!

Title reads:

Warranty Extension: MIL Comes On with DTC P0420/P0430, P030x, and/or PA219A/B (With Software Update)

2016-17 Pilot, Ridgeline, and 2018 Odyssey models covered.

I'm only here to tell you, that you have the best avatar on this forum.

That is all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's about time. Glad to see Honda doing something in the best interests of the customer for a change. Do not forget, however, the tremendous amount of worry, expense, frustration, arguing with dealers, etc., that Honda made many customers with vehicles suffering from this obvious problem experience over the past five years.

Good luck,
M.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD Black
27 Posts
My Pilot just threw this code today. I have a 2018. I called the dealer (just bought my Pilot 2 weeks ago today) and its got a extended warranty for 10 years (total) for this issue. According to the code reader its code P0430. I take it in Thursday.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
It's about time. Glad to see Honda doing something in the best interests of the customer for a change. Do not forget, however, the tremendous amount of worry, expense, frustration, arguing with dealers, etc., that Honda made many customers with vehicles suffering from this obvious problem experience over the past five years.

Good luck,
M.
They will also reimburse for past injector replacement as long as you have the receipt

·
Registered
42 Posts

Good luck,
M.
I first ran into this problem on my 2016 Pilot in 2018. Honda Customer Service was extremely unhelpful, indeed quite rude when I made the point that they ought to reimburse me for the over $1800 i spent fixing the problem. Now, three years later, they are doing what they should have done when the problem first arose? I am glad they have owned up to this problem but they lost years of goodwill that they had built up with me after my driving so many Hondas over so many years with flawless quality. Whoever screwed this issue up by delaying this fix ought to be fired. The damage to Hondas reputation is irrecoverable, at least with me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Got mine yesterday also. My injectors went out at 30,000 miles. So, I wouldn't be surprised if it does it again at 60,000 miles. If so, I do not plan on keeping it much longer if it does.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Are they fixing them with "better" injectors?
There is an updated part number but the injectors look to be the same design. The problem is not with the injectors themselves but with carbon buildup on the nozzles which affects the spray pattern resulting in larger droplets of fuel which drives the fuel trims negative (rich) and loads up and reduces the efficiency of the cats giving you the P0420 and p0430 errors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There is an updated part number but the injectors look to be the same design. The problem is not with the injectors themselves but with carbon buildup on the nozzles which affects the spray pattern resulting in larger droplets of fuel which drives the fuel trims negative (rich) and loads up and reduces the efficiency of the cats giving you the P0420 and p0430 errors.
Is there a way to prevent this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We purchased our 2016 Pilot EX-L in October 2019 and it has been performing great for us so far. I have been a constant lurker on this forum and the information and input from others has been so valuable.

Our Pilot has about 52k miles on it and although I haven't had any injectors issues yet it has been a somewhat constant stress from so many posts about the issue on here and other forums. We just received the letter from Honda yesterday about the extended warranty which is great news. But.... our vehicle has a rebuilt title. Will this warranty apply or does the previous salvage situation make it null & void?

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
We purchased our 2016 Pilot EX-L in October 2019 and it has been performing great for us so far. I have been a constant lurker on this forum and the information and input from others has been so valuable.

Our Pilot has about 52k miles on it and although I haven't had any injectors issues yet it has been a somewhat constant stress from so many posts about the issue on here and other forums. We just received the letter from Honda yesterday about the extended warranty which is great news. But.... our vehicle has a rebuilt title. Will this warranty apply or does the previous salvage situation make it null & void?
I bought my Pilot at a salvage auction, rebuilt it with only 19k miles. I know from personal experience with the nearest Honda dealership that they will not perform any TSB on it for free. Nor does warranty or extended warranty apply to my vehicle. They will be glad to work on it if I'm paying the bill.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Is there a way to prevent this?
Possibly a better detergent formulation in gasoline may reduce the carbon buildup or using a direct injection cleaner additive may help although there is no real proof that additives actually do any good. Some do swear by them and I tried Seafoam and Royal Purple after I got the first emissions warning and the codes went away for about 8 months but then they came back and I had the injectors changed. We purchased our Pilot used with 50k miles so I don't know how the previous owner drove the car or what fuel was used prior. We have used Esso or Shell 87 since we purchased it and the injectors were replaced at 58k about a year afterwards and we have had no issues since. Maybe using an injector cleaner at every oil change would help but again there is no proof that it actually reduces the carbon on the injectors.
Thankfully we do have the extended warranty on this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can't really blame Honda for this. You really have to blame the EPA. They are the ones who mandate better fuel efficiency, and this is the result. All auto companies are having these issues. And think of all of the scrap metal this is creating as well as the mining it takes to get the precious metals out of the earth to make the catalytic converters to be replaced and then disposing of them. When you take into consideration all of that, is it really worth the extra tenths of a MPG?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Possibly a better detergent formulation in gasoline may reduce the carbon buildup or using a direct injection cleaner additive may help although there is no real proof that additives actually do any good. Some do swear by them and I tried Seafoam and Royal Purple after I got the first emissions warning and the codes went away for about 8 months but then they came back and I had the injectors changed. We purchased our Pilot used with 50k miles so I don't know how the previous owner drove the car or what fuel was used prior. We have used Esso or Shell 87 since we purchased it and the injectors were replaced at 58k about a year afterwards and we have had no issues since. Maybe using an injector cleaner at every oil change would help but again there is no proof that it actually reduces the carbon on the injectors.
Thankfully we do have the extended warranty on this.
So what do I do now??? My light was on for 2 days and now its off and been off for 3 days. I have nothing in my honda link that shows the emissions issue and I don't know how long codes stay in the computer?!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts