Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Will you wait 7500 miles before the initial oil change?

• Yes

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 44 59.5%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to how many of you will wait the full 7500 miles before initial oil change???

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
xyzzy said:
I'll be changing at 5,000 miles. Out with the break-in 5w20 and in with the Mobil-1 5w30.

Chris
Mobil makes the 5W-20 for Honda. Not gonna wait for 5w20 Mobil1, rumored to be coming out?

·
Registered
385 Posts
3600 miles Pennzoil 5-20. Dealer said New England considered "extreme" climate, thus manual recommended 3500 interval. Changed myself, no problems, had ordered 1/2 dozen filters, oil plug washers from Tim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
oil change

Oil change on the first interval is a tuffy, arguments for both sides but here's my thought. Have built several engines and have always changed oil no more that 500 miles the for the first time. Supposidly their are breakin additives from the factory? I've owned several motorcycles(all Jap) and very rairly went over 1000 miles between oil changes. If you baby the vehicle change the oil later in the miliage to allow proper seating of the rings. If you drive it like you stole it on a regular bassis change it early and often! Besides have you ever seen the stuff that comes out of the motor on the first oil change? I'ts like changing a babies first diaper, oooooh!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey guys, our MDX manuals clearly state to WAIT on the 1st oil change!! I checked with dealer and got the SAME wait suggestion. MDX forum had discussion and IMHO, the concensus was to WAIT.

I believe that this has something to do with "stuff" added to the original oil to help with break-in.

By the by, our 2001 Accord had the SAME WAIT recommendation.

FWIW

·
Registered
385 Posts
following up my earlier post (changed at 3600 miles, per dealer rec). Not sure if the break in additive effects look of the oil, but what I drained, sure looked ready to come out.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Actually, for "break-in" oil it's a matter of what they don't put in it. They leave out the detergents and anti-wear agents that you get in the stuff you buy off the shelf. This allows for the rings to seat properly in fewer miles, thus reducing your engine break-in time.

Chris

·
Registered
81 Posts

The "don't change for 7,500" is only for the factory break-in oil.

More frequent changing and/or synthetic oil beyond 7,500 is probably a good investment in my opinion.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Vegasdude,

Your dealer could possibly only offer this to you at 7500 mile intervals, or at most 3750. I could be wrong, but thats usually how those deals work from my experience. YMMV.

Chris

·
Registered
273 Posts
Repointing out that there are 2 oil change maintenance recommendations, 1 for "normal conditions" (7500) and one for "severe conditions" (3750). It's up to you to interpret where you fall on the scale. Honda's definition of "severe" is as follows:

Follow the "severe" schedule only if you drive in one or more of these conditions most of the time:
Trips of less than 5 miles (less than 10 in freezing weather)
Extremely hot weather (over 90 degrees F)
Extensive idling or stop-and-go driving
Trailer towing, driving with a car-top carrier, or driving in the mountains
Muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads

Note the phrase "one or more of these conditions most of the time." I don't know about most of the time but I do know that I encounter these conditions fairly often when you add them all up. In the end, probably more that "normal" but less than "severe." So I am going with changes every 5000 miles and split the difference, erring on the cautious side.

Spartanman said:
I'm going to follow Honda's recommendation. 7500.

I'm so used to 3 months 3000 miles though. It's a tough habit to break.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey guys ... the MAXIMUM interval is 7,500/6 mos. ... you can always elect to do it more often.

If you are leasing the vehicle and plan to return it at the end of the lease, then do "Honda recommended" [e.g. Honda required] to maintain warranty coverage. Making sure the oil is "always good" extends engine life. With Honda, we're talking big miles. If its a lease, not your problem.

If you purchased the vehicle, then do what your heart tells you. If you drive 15,000 per year, Honda requires 2 oil changes per year. Changing every 5,000 vs. 7,500 is one extra oil change a year. To me, the extra $20-25 per year is a worth while investment [e.g. a no brainer]. Changing every 4,000 miles is an extra $40-50 per year [again a non-issue to insure you get the most over the LONG RUN].

In my case, I think I am going to go synthetic every 7,500 [Mobil-1]. This won't save money [vs. conventional at 4,000] but it will decrease the "inconvenience" without compromising taking good care of the vehicle.

Just opinions ... not claiming this is gospel

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've always done every 3750. I think I am likely to do that here as well. I think it has to be broke in by then. By the way did any of you get a dealer coupon for a free oil change?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.