Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought car to dealer three weeks ago on peeling white paint and was offered 60% coverage from regional warranty. I felt like this was horrible customer service and contacted Honda North America Chat now it seems as of 2 weeks ago paint will be covered completely per SB-055 supposed be sending mailed notice to customers.
Below is excerpt from Honda North America Chat ....

Martina (6/17/2019, 11:16:32 AM): 2013-14 Odyssey & 2013-15 Pilot Taffeta White Paint Warr Ext 19-055
Martina (6/17/2019, 11:16:52 AM): BACKGROUND
There are two bulletins for warranty extensions on Taffeta White:
• SB 19-055, Warranty Extension: Taffeta White Paint. Vehicles covered under 19-055 bulletin will have the warranty
on their paint extended to 7 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit.
• SB 19-056, Warranty Extension: Taffeta White Paint (6 Months), which covers some 2011-12 Odyssey vehicles.
19-056 provides a grace period for vehicles where the warranty expired before American Honda was able to notify
some customers of the warranty extension and will expire on February 1, 2020 because the vehicles will no longer
be eligible for repair under this warranty extension.
Me (6/17/2019, 11:17:39 AM): what does this mean
Martina (6/17/2019, 11:18:15 AM): Your vehicle is within the warranty extension. This execution was made available on beginning of June 2019. You should be receiving this information in the mail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does your paint look shiny and great but peels, or does it look chalky and terrible, like mine. They are fixing the peeling, but aren't dealing with the fact that the paint seems to be single stage, and doesn't hold up to the sun like the base coat clear coat paint. My white 2014 pilot looks like crap next to my white 2007 BMW. Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does your paint look shiny and great but peels, or does it look chalky and terrible, like mine. They are fixing the peeling, but aren't dealing with the fact that the paint seems to be single stage, and doesn't hold up to the sun like the base coat clear coat paint. My white 2014 pilot looks like crap next to my white 2007 BMW. Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would not purchase any Honda in Taffeta White (also navy blue from around the mid 2000's). They have a major paint adhesion problem, not sure why this color sees the problem more often, but you will notice Odysseys, Pilots, Civics, CRVs all with the same peeling \ adhesion problem. Usually above the "shoulder", around windows, hood and roof. Glad Honda is admitting to this finally with the TSB for your pilot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same problem here.
2015 Pilot Touring AWD - Taffeta White.

We had a particularly windy day here in Los Angeles,
and I noticed some paint chips on our driveway.
Then, that night I found the patch just above the windshield missing paint.
I collected the paint chips,
and I guess I'll start the process.

Ian

·
Registered
2013 Pilot EX-L Touring AWD
2 Posts
Hi All,

my 2013 Pilot EX-L Touring that I bought in 2016, just started this 'peeling' in the usual spot on the roof, between the windshield and the moonroof.

Funny part is, I received this 'warranty notice' from Honda about the paint issue and the 'warranty extension' back in August of 2019... there was nothing wrong with the paint then. Two weeks before Christmas this year, we get up and notice paint is missing on the roof. Of course the warranty is already expired.

I paid $30k for this car used, only had 28k miles on it, in 2016. On top of that bought the 6yr 100k mile bumper to bumper extended warranty from honda. I'm not even done the 5 year loan on this car and I have to give Honda more money? Just WTF?

I'm only 4 years into the car, and only have 65k miles on it, so extended warranty is still good...

Is there a class action lawsuit yet on this? anyone know?

I went to honda 2 days after we noticed the issue, they sent me to their body shop, had the full warranty report written up, along with the estimate, which they have to send off to honda to get their 'response' on what they will do.

takes about a week or two for honda to get back...

So they tell me "Well, your paint warranty expired in May 2020, so Honda will go 50/50 on it with you".... It's $2200 for the body shop work, as the way to do this repair properly is teardown the roof, etc, strip it, etc, and repaint the entire roof.

10 days of labor... and Honda will NOT cover you for a rental car.

WTF. Honda FUC*ING sucks. You failed on the godda** paint, and you send out a 'short term' warranty to cover your a** for a short period of time...

I've only had this car for 4 years, not even done paying the loan yet, and they also tell me this 'extended' warranty isn't a honda warranty, so doesn't matter... I bought the dam* warranty from the Honda dealer when I bought the car!

This sucks... makes me sick... I usually never buy extended warranties because of this crap.. but they talked me into it on this car... and what's the point? it's useless anyhow...

I'll post some pics of my roof, just don't have them with me right now..

So just a heads up to anyone that hits this issue now, the warranty extensions are going to be expired, so you will fight this same battle.. and honda won't help you with a rental car either...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dodged a bullet when I bought my 2015; went with the modern steel metallic. OP, sorry for your problem; when you buy a HondaCare warranty you don't expect to have to fight and put up with a lot of bull.

In any case, between this and the VCM, most particularly how they treat customers with problems, Honda is no longer the manufacturer of choice for my future car purchases, after 4 Hondas.

Can't stand the local Toyota/Lexus dealer but the Honda dealer is no bargain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just brought car to dealer three weeks ago on peeling white paint and was offered 60% coverage from regional warranty. I felt like this was horrible customer service and contacted Honda North America Chat now it seems as of 2 weeks ago paint will be covered completely per SB-055 supposed be sending mailed notice to customers.
Below is excerpt from Honda North America Chat ....

Martina (6/17/2019, 11:16:32 AM): 2013-14 Odyssey & 2013-15 Pilot Taffeta White Paint Warr Ext 19-055
Martina (6/17/2019, 11:16:52 AM): BACKGROUND
There are two bulletins for warranty extensions on Taffeta White:
• SB 19-055, Warranty Extension: Taffeta White Paint. Vehicles covered under 19-055 bulletin will have the warranty
on their paint extended to 7 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit.
• SB 19-056, Warranty Extension: Taffeta White Paint (6 Months), which covers some 2011-12 Odyssey vehicles.
19-056 provides a grace period for vehicles where the warranty expired before American Honda was able to notify
some customers of the warranty extension and will expire on February 1, 2020 because the vehicles will no longer
be eligible for repair under this warranty extension.
Me (6/17/2019, 11:17:39 AM): what does this mean
Martina (6/17/2019, 11:18:15 AM): Your vehicle is within the warranty extension. This execution was made available on beginning of June 2019. You should be receiving this information in the mail.
I have a 2013 Pilot. In 2018 the roof top between windshield and moonroof peeled like a snake. It was repainted and partially covered Very Very reluctantly by Honda. Now the drivers side along the moonroof peeled . Anyone know if they will pay again. And as someone else mentioned paint is chalky. LAST Honda for me. Sad since been buying them beginning in 1992z

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same problem here.
2015 Pilot Touring AWD - Taffeta White.

We had a particularly windy day here in Los Angeles,
and I noticed some paint chips on our driveway.
Then, that night I found the patch just above the windshield missing paint.
I collected the paint chips,
and I guess I'll start the process.

Ian
Just to follow up:

Went to Culver City Honda here in Los Angeles.
Did the paint on the roof with a full ride (no charge).
Detailed the car nicely.
One week turn around.

Excellent work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

my 2013 Pilot EX-L Touring that I bought in 2016, just started this 'peeling' in the usual spot on the roof, between the windshield and the moonroof.

Funny part is, I received this 'warranty notice' from Honda about the paint issue and the 'warranty extension' back in August of 2019... there was nothing wrong with the paint then. Two weeks before Christmas this year, we get up and notice paint is missing on the roof. Of course the warranty is already expired.

I paid $30k for this car used, only had 28k miles on it, in 2016. On top of that bought the 6yr 100k mile bumper to bumper extended warranty from honda. I'm not even done the 5 year loan on this car and I have to give Honda more money? Just WTF?

I'm only 4 years into the car, and only have 65k miles on it, so extended warranty is still good...

Is there a class action lawsuit yet on this? anyone know?

I went to honda 2 days after we noticed the issue, they sent me to their body shop, had the full warranty report written up, along with the estimate, which they have to send off to honda to get their 'response' on what they will do.

takes about a week or two for honda to get back...

So they tell me "Well, your paint warranty expired in May 2020, so Honda will go 50/50 on it with you".... It's $2200 for the body shop work, as the way to do this repair properly is teardown the roof, etc, strip it, etc, and repaint the entire roof.

10 days of labor... and Honda will NOT cover you for a rental car.

WTF. Honda FUC*ING sucks. You failed on the godda** paint, and you send out a 'short term' warranty to cover your a** for a short period of time...

I've only had this car for 4 years, not even done paying the loan yet, and they also tell me this 'extended' warranty isn't a honda warranty, so doesn't matter... I bought the dam* warranty from the Honda dealer when I bought the car!

This sucks... makes me sick... I usually never buy extended warranties because of this crap.. but they talked me into it on this car... and what's the point? it's useless anyhow...

I'll post some pics of my roof, just don't have them with me right now..

So just a heads up to anyone that hits this issue now, the warranty extensions are going to be expired, so you will fight this same battle.. and honda won't help you with a rental car either...

So frustrated with Honda! After purchasing several cars there over the years, you would think they would be a little more helpful. In addition to no rental - they told me they would have my car for a week! Only the roof is covered. When I mentioned the hood and that I just paid for a very expensive detail (before I knew about paint issue), I was told that is called "maintenance" and that is what I am suppose to do with my car. Very condescending! Don't think my car is suppose to be 2 different colors - the hood and roof are an awful chalky white and the sides are normal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts