Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of purchasing two car seats for the Pilot. We have twins due sometime next month.

There's an online compatibility database, but currently only one listing for the Pilot

http://www.carseatdata.org/database.html

If you have newborns or having them shortly, what car seat do you use with the Pilot?

Anyone use the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio with LATCH?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get the Britax, it's british and highly rated. The new ones have Latch and go from 3 to 70 pounds so you'll be able to use it for a long time. I must admit, we had a non-latch britax so i haven't actually tried it with the latch system, but historically its been great. good luck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
egopsych said:
Get the Britax, it's british and highly rated. The new ones have Latch and go from 3 to 70 pounds so you'll be able to use it for a long time. I must admit, we had a non-latch britax so i haven't actually tried it with the latch system, but historically its been great. good luck.

Our #2 is due any day now and we have the Britax Marathon for both. The Britax won't fit in the 3rd row in the rear-facing position as far as I can tell. The seat back hits the second row seats.

I also have a Graco infant carrier that detaches and connects to a stroller. Again it doesn't fit in the 3rd row in the rear facing position because the handle hits the second row.

If the second row would slide forward things would be fine. As it is, the second row doesn't recline forward enough for me to get either seat to work correctly.

No problems with Britax in a forward facing positon in the 3rd row. Also, our older Alpha-Omega works just fine in the 3rd row in a forward facing positon.

For the second row, it's not recommend to use the latch for the middle seat because each latches are for the outside seats. However, in practice it works. I'm also using the seatbelt just to be safe. The recommendation was from a parenting magazine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked at the Britax Roundabout. It's definitely the best seat when going from infant through toddler. However, since we are going to have two newborns, we need to initially get two infant carriers so if someone is alone with the children, they can bring them in the house or take them to the doctor.

I'm definitely looking at LATCH models which I can also use with the seatbelts just to be safe as well.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
bielen said:
I'm definitely looking at LATCH models which I can also use with the seatbelts just to be safe as well.
You shouldn't use LATCH and the seatbelts. Pick one or the other. It is not safer to use both, and it may actually be dangerous.

As far as carseat techs are concerned, Peg Perego seats are not very well-liked. Most tech recommendations I've seen are for the Graco Snug Ride. And, if you're planning to use LATCH, the Baby Trend Latch Loc can be a good choice as well. You can read about them here: http://www.carseatdata.org/infant.html (though you may have already seen that, since you've seen the database).

Also, did you know that Babies R Us and Toys R Us will let you try out seats in your vehicle before you buy them?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
gksmith said:

I also have a Graco infant carrier that detaches and connects to a stroller. Again it doesn't fit in the 3rd row in the rear facing position because the handle hits the second row.
Yes, leaving the handle down does take up quite a bit of room. Britax infant seats have a reinforced handle that can be left up, so you might try one to see if that solves the problem.
For the second row, it's not recommend to use the latch for the middle seat because each latches are for the outside seats. However, in practice it works. I'm also using the seatbelt just to be safe. The recommendation was from a parenting magazine.
Do you mind if I ask which magazine? That's an awfully irresponsible thing for them to suggest. It goes against the explicit instructions of both the car maker and the carseat maker.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
tracy said:
You shouldn't use LATCH and the seatbelts. Pick one or the other. It is not safer to use both, and it may actually be dangerous...
Our seats have the tether, but not the lower anchors so we use them with the sholder-belt and tether (over the back of the seat). Is that wrong?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
tim.s said:
Our seats have the tether, but not the lower anchors so we use them with the sholder-belt and tether (over the back of the seat). Is that wrong?
No, not at all. When using the seatbelts, you get an added degree of safety by using the top tether, so you're doing exactly the right thing. LATCH installation uses anchors embedded within the seat instead of the seat belt. That is what you should not combine with a seatbelt installation. Using the top tether is required when installing with LATCH, and optional but recommended when installing with seatbelts. It gets kind of confusing! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts