Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just browswing through the rec.autos.makers.honda newsgroup and came across this post. Anybody ever hear of such problems before? This is the first for me. It's rather disconcerting. The follow-up replies to this post seem to indicate that this problem is not exclusive to just Honda cars, let alone to just Pilots.
============
I wanted to let folks know about a problem I am experiencing with my 2003 White Honda Pilot (the fact that it is white is relevant), but the fact that my car is a Honda isn’t relevant (I think). I purchased my new Honda in July 2002 and reside in Central New York.

The weather has finally broke and I was out washing my car when I noticed little spots of rust all over the entire vehicle. Most of the spots were concentrated towards the bottom of the car, but some were just below the window line. The odd thing is that the rust appeared on sections of the car, which I know are plastic?? I was confused? Especially since I have been running the car through the best carwash in town at least once every month (and getting the undercarriage was too, Central New York loves to put tons and tons of salt on the roads).

I called the dealer and told them that my brand new Honda Pilot was rusting after only 6 months. The first thing he asked was, "Is your car white?” I wondered how he new that. He then said that the rust was due to "industrial dust/fallout" which basically translates to Microscopic metal particles that stick to the car due to static. These particles will rust and could cause a larger problem over time. He said that the reason I noticed it was because my car was white.

I did some looking on the web for "industrial dust/fallout" and found the following link, which seems to explain the problem pretty well: http://www.erazer.com/contamin.htm

So, the dealer is giving me a complementary (one time only) special cleaning process, which will (they tell me) remove the "industrial dust/fallout". I have no idea (yet) what this cleaning process would cost, but I am guessing that it will need to be done at least once a year.

And I thought my house was the only money pit!

Hope this helps

Anthony
================

·
Registered
288 Posts
I did not know this problem could get so ugly. One of the items that "claying" a car is supposed to remove is industrial fallout. I have always owned dark cars so I never noticed the rust marks that this person is talking about. So now I know I am definitly going to clay my cars every couple of years and I will be claying the Pilot soon after it arrives. What is the saying: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
RipRocK said:
I did some looking on the web for "industrial dust/fallout" and found the following link, which seems to explain the problem pretty well: http://www.erazer.com/contamin.htm
Now I looked at the link and this is exactly what I was talking about. There are also other manufactures out there: Zaino or Mothers and I can't think of the others off hand, but all of the clay is pretty much the same, the only difference is the $$$.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PSUPilot,

I think I'll be claybarring every year then from now on. We get alot of salt and sand around here during the winter, so it's probably a good habit to get into. But I'm so lazy...not looking forward to it though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Also Rail Dust

Most new vehicles are shipped by train sometime during their transit to the dealer. The vehicles accumulate a layer of small metal particles from the trains steel wheels running over the steel rails. That's why all new cars should be cleaned with a clay bar as soon as possible after purchase. If you use the clay bar and a good wax or zaino, you should have no trouble getting future industrial pollutants off your Pilot.;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
We've got a silver pilot and experienced the exact same rust spotting along the lower body panels. They are tiny tiny specks that rub right off. In the harsh Wisconsin winters they use a ton of salt and I first noticed these after the first wash after a long cold spell. We also have a '97 milano red civic and I've never noticed this before on it. I Zaino but that didn't seem to matter. The spots weren't there from July delivery thu December, but in the artic cold they showed up. I put some elbow grease to them and rubbed them off. It took a while.

Guess I'll be hitting the clay bar next year!

·
Registered
288 Posts
copilot, don't forget about brake dust, now that brakes are metallic!

·
Registered
289 Posts
You betcha on the brake dust

So we got industrial pollutants, rail dust and brake dust. Better Clay Bar.:eek:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Rust near Honda Emblem

I have also noticed rust near the Honda emblem on the rear..

Now I noticed that it will rub off if you work at it, but will this rust through the body if it is not taken off?

I have never had rust on any of my vehicles so this comes to a surprise for me.

I also have that engine grind that just occurred a few days ago with this rust issue on top of it.

Guess My Honda won't be trouble free..

Can't believe this..

:mad:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've noticed the same thing on recent hand-washes of our SS EX. Gentle rubbing with 3M miracle hand glaze seems to get rid of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have also noticed rust near the Honda emblem on the rear
This is a different issue gopilot...

Its usually the metal tabs that hold the emblem into place that begin to oxidize or the metal compounds in the emblem itself.. We seen this issue with CRV's and it happens....

Visit the dealer and have new emblems installed..if its already oxidizing, then its not gonna get any better...

·
Registered
991 Posts
BreakStuff said:

This is a different issue gopilot...

Its usually the metal tabs that hold the emblem into place that begin to oxidize or the metal compounds in the emblem itself.. We seen this issue with CRV's and it happens....

Visit the dealer and have new emblems installed..if its already oxidizing, then its not gonna get any better...
The emblem does not show any signs of rust, but on mine it is actually on the paint itself.. Have noticed it "near" the emblem not on it. Also on the paint on the back of the pilot.

I do believe this is the cause of either metal debris in the air or railway cars that are spreading there stuff, because it does wipe right off.

Will see how it looks after a good wash.

rob

·
Registered
38 Posts
The emblem does not show any signs of rust, but on mine it is actually on the paint itself
Yes.. thats exactly what I was reffering too... It won't show signs of the actual emblem rusting.. but a location very near the emblem itself...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts