Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Pilot has 48000 miles on it and I just installed a new set of Michelin Latitude Tour tires because I couldn't stand the NOISE any longer! I'd compare it to sitting next to the engine at the rear of a jetliner! Previous tires were Michelin LTX M/S. The new tires are almost as loud as the old ones!

So now I'm wondering if there's a mechanical problem? Wheel bearings? Something in the drive train?

Anyone had this problem?!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
You don't go 48K miles with a something like a noisy wheel bearing or CV joint failing. The Pilot's reputation as a noisy beast is well-deserved and I don't think the LTX's are thought to be a whole lot better or worse than average and tirerack rates the Latitudes to be even worse. So it sounds like simply you're fed up with the noise it has always made (and probably always will).

My observation is that the noise is VERY pavement dependent. On some surfaces, the car is reasonably quiet but on others it is just out-of-bounds noisy. It is my single biggest complaint about the car.

- Mark

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It's the tires. I had the same thing when my dueler AT revos were worn at 60k miles they were loud. I thought it was the bearings. As soon as I replaced it with the dueler HL alenzas, I thought I had a brand new pilot because it was so quiet. Tire shops usually give you a 30 day trial. Replace it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the kind of news I was hoping for! I had narrowed my choice for replacement tires down to the Latitude Tour and Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia based on research regarding NOISE! Thinking now that I should have said good-bye to Michelin and selected the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not the kind of news I was hoping for! I had narrowed my choice for replacement tires down to the Latitude Tour and Bridgestone Dueler H/L Ecopia based on research regarding NOISE! Thinking now that I should have said good-bye to Michelin and selected the Bridgestones.

I had the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenzas on our 2006 Pilot. There were great for the first 30k miles but after that we had to take them off with half the tread left because of all the noise they made. This experience kind of ruined me on Bridgestone tires. Traded the Pilot for an MDX and the ride is much quieter.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
My 2011 Pilot has 48000 miles on it and I just installed a new set of Michelin Latitude Tour tires because I couldn't stand the NOISE any longer! I'd compare it to sitting next to the engine at the rear of a jetliner! Previous tires were Michelin LTX M/S. The new tires are almost as loud as the old ones!

So now I'm wondering if there's a mechanical problem? Wheel bearings? Something in the drive train?
Has the NOISE problem (with the old tires) always existed or was it a recent development?

Go back to the tire dealer and get someone to take a test ride with you.
Get their opinion as to whether the NOISE seems to be tire related or due to some other mechanical issue.

Is there a Buick dealer nearby?
Some versions of the Enclave SUV - which is a relatively quiet vehicle - come with the Latitude Tour tires. Take a test drive in one and see if the tire noise bothers you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dj5: there are a number of different Dueler tires - I was considering the H/L 422 Ecopia, which seems to have a tread pattern more like a passenger car rather than suv/truck.

xGS: we've had the noise issue thru three sets of tires: the originals, which were fine for a few thousand miles, then the Michelin LTX m/s, which were noisy almost immediately, and now the brand new Latitude Tours, which are noisy from the get-go. And when I say noisy, you can forget about having a conversation at 60-80+ mph!

I have an appointment with the tire store tomorrow so they can take a ride with me. They'll swap out the tires, but what's the point if new ones are going to be as bad?!

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
there are a number of different Dueler tires - I was considering the H/L 422 Ecopia, which seems to have a tread pattern more like a passenger car rather than suv/truck.
we've had the noise issue thru three sets of tires: the originals, which were fine for a few thousand miles, then the Michelin LTX m/s, which were noisy almost immediately, and now the brand new Latitude Tours, which are noisy from the get-go. And when I say noisy, you can forget about having a conversation at 60-80+ mph!

I have an appointment with the tire store tomorrow so they can take a ride with me. They'll swap out the tires, but what's the point if new ones are going to be as bad?!
According to this TireRack test [ http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=160 ] the tread noise for the Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia was considered "quite low."
They also thought that the noise level from the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tire was even a bit lower - so that gives you two other tires to try.
If neither of those prove acceptable, then the problem is either with the vehicle or the sensitivity of your hearing.

What vehicle(s) did you have prior to the Pilot?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
FWIIW, I'm approaching 80K miles on my LTX's and while they're not yet at the wear bars, I'm thinking about replacing them a little prematurely, just to hopefully quiet things down a bit and be conservative for a lot of driving I am going to be doing next year. I've done a little research and am thinking the best bet for noise might be the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia, but there is tremendous variation in experiences and I certainly don't expect miracles in this very noisy car. Or I may go back to the LTX's but there are consistent reports that the LTX's super-high-mileage has gone away with the MS2 versions and the only thing I've really liked about the LTX is the high mileage.

- Mark

·
Registered
99 Posts
Latitude Tour Noise Level

I have the Michelin Latitude Tours on my '09, and think they're a smooth and quiet tire. Frankly, I can't imagine a better tire for the Pilot.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tire dealer agrees the noise problem is not "normal" and pulled the wheels, checked the drivetrain visually, wheel bearings not loose, rebalanced the tires and remounted them. Then while still on the lift, we ran it in drive up to about 25 mph, and there is definitely a "grinding?" noise somewhere in the drivetrain.

So, I'm taking it to a front end shop on Tue to see if they can figure it out.

Turns out, the tires apparently are not the culprit.

Anyone had any drivetrain problems with your Pilot???

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
see NHTSA Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Service Bulletin No.: AER-13060-A
Component(s): SUSPENSION NHTSA ID Number: 10052478

"HONDA: ENGINEERING REQUEST FOR AN INVESTIGATION DUE TO A NOISE, LIKE MOANING, OR HUMMING, OR DRONING, OCCURRING WHILE DRIVING, COMING FROM FRONT WHEEL BEARING. MODELS 2011-2013 PILOT. *PE"

Service Bulletin No.: IN-2013
Component(s): SUSPENSION NHTSA ID Number: 10052467
"HONDA: INVESTIGATING SOME VEHICLES REGARDING A HUMMING, DRONING, OR MOANING NOISE, COMING FROM FRONT WHEEL BEARING, WHILE DRIVING. MODELS 2011-2013 PILOTS. *PE"

Service Bulletin No.: SB-102213
Component(s): SUSPENSION NHTSA ID Number: 10053749

"HONDA: ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE FRONT WHEEL BEARING MAKING NOISES LIKE A DRONING, MOANING, OR HUMMING SOUND, ALONG WITH VIBRATION. MODEL 2009-2014 PILOT. *PE"

3 Different Service bulletins for Pilots with noisy front ends. Might be tires, or maybe bearings are the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to close the book on this one: the local Honda dealer installed 2 new front wheel bearing assys today, and the car is so quiet I swear its brand new!

So it wasn't tire noise after all. Maybe next time I'll do a better job of diagnosing the problem before throwing money at it?

·
Registered
194 Posts

Seems to be happening quite a bit ...bad bearings.
Bad roads will vary the road noise but it should be obvious when something isn't right. :8:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vibration noise

X2. Bad wheel bearings. I had noise and vibration that started between 40-45 MPH, thought it was worn tires as I had close to 50K so replaced them, still had the noise, drained the ATF, nothing significant noticed although the fluid definitely was ready to be replaced, still no joy and was not wanting to take to the dealership. Well Priority Honda Chesapeake VA was quick to diagnose the right wheel bearing as the culprit, they did not cut any corners and went ahead and replaced both wheel bearings and did an alignment & the customer free car wash. NO CHARGE, covered under warrantee!:29: I never had a vehicle with low mileage have wheel bearings go bad, don't know why it is happening to the 2011 pilots and not other vehicles but am glad to have this annoying problem finnaly fixed. I drove it for almost 2 months and it really seamed to get worse but again wouldn't start until the car was up to speed usually shifting into 4th gear. Noise & Vibration = wheel bearings!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just to close the book on this one: the local Honda dealer installed 2 new front wheel bearing assys today, and the car is so quiet I swear its brand new!

So it wasn't tire noise after all. Maybe next time I'll do a better job of diagnosing the problem before throwing money at it?
Did Honda replace the bearings for free? Were you under warranty? How many miles were on the Pilot?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts