Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, new forum member here. I have a 2018 EX-L that I use to tow a small boat. I'm considering increasing the tire size from the stock 245/60/18 to something like a 265 on a 20" wheel. Is this doable? Or will I have trouble with wheel well rubbing on turns? I know the Elite version has 20" wheels but not sure about the tire width. Basically I want to increase the tread contact at the ramps as well as have a larger diameter though not sure how that will affect the towing. Has anyone here upgraded their Pilot to a larger wheel and tire size? TIA

Registered
Greetings, new forum member here. I have a 2018 EX-L that I use to tow a small boat. I'm considering increasing the tire size from the stock 245/60/18 to something like a 265 on a 20" wheel. Is this doable? Or will I have trouble with wheel well rubbing on turns? I know the Elite version has 20" wheels but not sure about the tire width. Basically I want to increase the tread contact at the ramps as well as have a larger diameter though not sure how that will affect the towing. Has anyone here upgraded their Pilot to a larger wheel and tire size? TIA
Me personally, if I'm towing, I'd prefer the 18" rim. Id buy a tire with a max inflation value of 51 psi. One that's better built for your needs. The squishy stock touring tire is one of the worst tires I've ever driven on.
If your going for looks, a 20 inch rim IMO, is more cosmetic. It can be a rougher ride on a stronger tire. But doable (255/50/20). Again, I'd stay away from the touring category.
I like a tire that can corner at 75 mph.
Feel the Gs 馃榿 and sturdy enough to tow if needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! 100% agree about the stock tires, I've been driving 2 years on them and am ready for a change. I don't tow that often (maybe 20-30 times a year) but the roads here in Michigan are lousy and it's typically 60 miles each way. Looks are secondary to performance so I'll look into much better tires rated for towing. I've tried posting on towing forums but 99% have trucks...

Registered
Any increase in the factory tire diameter (29.6") will place more load on the engine/drivetrain. I don't think tires have a tow rating. Shorter sidewalls have a tendency to be ride rougher and noisier, as mentioned. 3500 lbs towed is the max without a dealership installed Honda tranny cooler. The Owner's Manual suggests weighing the towed load at public scales and not exceeding 62 mph when towing. As suggested, I would stay with the 18" wheel and not exceed the 29.6" factory tire diameter.

Registered
I don't think tires have a tow rating.
Tires do not have a tow rating, but they do have a load rating. A tire that has a max inflation value of 51psi* will have a higher load rating.^ For instance... High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P03s have a maximum inflation value of 51psi*. It has a maximum load rating of 2039 Lbs. Bridgestone H/L Alenza has a maximum inflation value of 44psi* and a lesser maximum load capacity of 1984 Lbs.
^ This doesn't mean that we should exceed what the manufacturer states for our maximum towing capacity.
*Maximum inflation values doesn't mean we should inflate to this amount.

Reactions: PLT383

Registered
Me personally, if I'm towing, I'd prefer the 18" rim. Id buy a tire with a max inflation value of 51 psi. One that's better built for your needs. The squishy stock touring tire is one of the worst tires I've ever driven on.
If your going for looks, a 20 inch rim IMO, is more cosmetic. It can be a rougher ride on a stronger tire. But doable (255/50/20). Again, I'd stay away from the touring category.
I like a tire that can corner at 75 mph.
Feel the Gs 馃榿 and sturdy enough to tow if needed.
Some Piloteers have reported preferring lower profile tires (with larger diameter wheels) for towing based on the claim that the Pilot feels more stable, particularly when the tail tries to wag the dog, so to speak.
Also. check your owner's manual for the maximum recommended speed when towing.

Registered
Some Piloteers have reported preferring lower profile tires (with larger diameter wheels) for towing based on the claim that the Pilot feels more stable, particularly when the tail tries to wag the dog, so to speak.
Also. check your owner's manual for the maximum recommended speed when towing.
Wagging the dog is from pulling a trailer heavier than the vehicle towing.
Tires are everything. Last thing I want is a touring tire to haul my load. 18 in rim or 20.

Reactions: PLT383

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any increase in the factory tire diameter (29.6") will place more load on the engine/drivetrain. I don't think tires have a tow rating. Shorter sidewalls have a tendency to be ride rougher and noisier, as mentioned. 3500 lbs towed is the max without a dealership installed Honda tranny cooler. The Owner's Manual suggests weighing the towed load at public scales and not exceeding 62 mph when towing. As suggested, I would stay with the 18" wheel and not exceed the 29.6" factory tire diameter.
Thanks, I do have the factory installed transmission cooler and drive at speeds between 65-68 MPH. The reason I am considering bigger tires is that the Elite version has 20" wheels but the main desire is to have more tread at improved launch ramps and a few unimproved launch sites.

Registered
Have you looked into tires with an AA traction rating? Also Google 鈥渢ire contact patch鈥. Wider does not necessarily mean greater contact patch. Maybe look into a more aggressive (than stock) tread pattern.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wagging the dog is from pulling a trailer heavier than the vehicle towing.
Tires are everything. Last thing I want is a touring tire to haul my load. 18 in rim or 20.
This is exactly what I want to do is upgrade the tires from the original factory rubber. The boat is a 17 foot aluminum with 90HP so I'm definitely not approaching or exceeding the recommended towing weight specs. I knew it was a compromise buying the SUV over a truck but have no complaints in the power or braking dept with the Pilot. Just want to see about improving ramp traction early and late in the fishing season here in Michigan.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you looked into tires with an AA traction rating? Also Google 鈥渢ire contact patch鈥. Wider does not necessarily mean greater contact patch. Maybe look into a more aggressive (than stock) tread pattern.
Will do, thanks. I have considered a more aggressive tread and have nno problem changing since weekly commutes are 10-15 minutes - even less working remotely.

Registered
Thanks, I do have the factory installed transmission cooler and drive at speeds between 65-68 MPH. The reason I am considering bigger tires is that the Elite version has 20" wheels but the main desire is to have more tread at improved launch ramps and a few unimproved launch sites.
I've towed boats most all my life and one thing I used to do on slippery boat ramps was lower the air pressure in my tires. That usually helped enough to get me up the ramp. Sometimes I had to block the tires on the trailer, uncouple the trailer and move the car up to dry land, then attach a long cable and put the tongue wheel down and pull the boat and trailer out that way.

Registered
Will do, thanks. I have considered a more aggressive tread and have nno problem changing since weekly commutes are 10-15 minutes - even less working remotely.
Is your Pilot FWD or AWD?

Registered
This is exactly what I want to do is upgrade the tires from the original factory rubber. The boat is a 17 foot aluminum with 90HP so I'm definitely not approaching or exceeding the recommended towing weight specs. I knew it was a compromise buying the SUV over a truck but have no complaints in the power or braking dept with the Pilot. Just want to see about improving ramp traction early and late in the fishing season here in Michigan.
Switch to an on/off-road all-terrain tire, such as the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 or the Continental TerrainContact A/T.
Stay with the original 18" wheels.
You don't want lower profile tires when traveling off pavement.
GEOLANDAR庐 A/T G015
TerrainContact鈩 A/T

Registered
The Conti鈥檚 have a better heat rejection rating.

Registered
You may want to try Michelin Defender LTX M/S. They come in a 245/60r18 and 265/60r18. I currently run 265/50r20 Defenders on stock 20" wheels and have not experienced any rub whatsoever. I believe a 255/50r20 size is also available. They have been really good in the wet and the snow.

Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
You may want to try Michelin Defender LTX M/S. They come in a 245/60r18 and 265/60r18. They have been really good in the wet and the snow.
I have the 265-65-18 Defender LTX M/S. Wife is happy with them she says it feels more "supported" in her words. It rides slightly stiffer I think but you'd have to try back to back to really notice. Great in wet, quiet, many love them in snow, I run full snows all around in winter. I have them on Ridgeline rims. Only issue is the speedometer is off by about 4 mph at 70 (actually doing about 74mph) which could get you in trouble on the road pending who's watching.

265 vs 245 on same tire has a 300lb per tire higher load rating (but 12mph less speed at 118mph). The rubber compound and the siping (the little zig zag or straight slits give the grip difference) as gives water a place to go not under the tread block. The zigzag sipes also give more biting edges. TireRack has good info on all these things.

Hopefully you have the AWD. If you have issues also consider using mud or sand mode that will allow you to spin the tires some if needed BUT also uses the rear end clutch plates NOT the brakes to provide power to the rear wheels. Be aware it shuts down the nanny stability controls so go back to "normal" when you are off the ramp. I have posts on those details if you search.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts