Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my timing belt on the 2013 Pilot and I wanted to share here how I got the crank pulley bolt off and how zi bolted it back on.

Many thanks to those who shared this tip with me in my timing belt thread.

At first, I brought an air impact wrench and learn my air compressor doesn’t have enough cfm to do the job so instead of buying a new air compressor, I brought an electric impact wrench. I hardly ever use my air compressor anyway.

This what I got from HF along with thick walled socket from Amazon

It took the bolt right off on first trigger pull in within a second!

To put it back, the spec for 2013 states 47lbs ft and 60 degree turn.

I torqued the bolt to 47lbs ft then use one of those paint pen to make a line across the center of the bolt head.

I use a gauge to mark a short line on the pulley where the 60 degree would be at.

Using the impact, I gave it a short trigger burst checking each time as the bolt line move closer to the pulley line until each line lined up with each other.

This is how I did it but do it at your own risk thou.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
$90 impact, nice!
A huge money saver.
A great tool bought and paid for by the DIY timing belt savings and still way ahead of the game.
😃👍

·
Registered
753 Posts
I torqued the bolt to 47lbs ft then use one of those paint pen to make a line across the center of the bolt head.

I use a gauge to mark a short line on the pulley where the 60 degree would be at.

Using the impact, I gave it a short trigger burst checking each time as the bolt line move closer to the pulley line until each line lined up with each other.

This is how I did it but do it at your own risk thou.
Yep, worked great for me as well. I think it’s by far the most correct way if you’re going to use an impact.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$90 impact, nice!
A huge money saver.
A great tool bought and paid for by the DIY timing belt savings and still way ahead of the game.
😃👍
I took the Pilot to Honda service center yesterday for an oil change when oil change wasn’t due for another 2,000 miles and ask them to listen to the engine to see if any odd noise coming from it (I am profound Deaf since birth and I did told them that I recently changed the TB)

They said the engine checked out and sounded great then they changed the oil. They also added some more power steering fluid (I spilled out some when trying to cap the rubber hose) but they mentioned that power steering fluid should be flushed on the next service.

The other reason was that I disconnected my battery during the TB replacement and the NAV was asking for pin code which I managed to fix by holding down the volume button after Googling it but I wanted the pin code written down in the manual.

The service man said I shouldn’t need to worry about pin code since as long it remain in the same Pilot that holding down volume button will always bypass the pin code.

Is that true?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I took the Pilot to Honda service center yesterday for an oil change when oil change wasn’t due for another 2,000 miles and ask them to listen to the engine to see if any odd noise coming from it (I am profound Deaf since birth and I did told them that I recently changed the TB)

They said the engine checked out and sounded great then they changed the oil. They also added some more power steering fluid (I spilled out some when trying to cap the rubber hose) but they mentioned that power steering fluid should be flushed on the next service.

The other reason was that I disconnected my battery during the TB replacement and the NAV was asking for pin code which I managed to fix by holding down the volume button after Googling it but I wanted the pin code written down in the manual.

The service man said I shouldn’t need to worry about pin code since as long it remain in the same Pilot that holding down volume button will always bypass the pin code.

Is that true?

Thanks
You just slayed me taking your Pilot
in for an oil change after you DIY a timing belt. I'm I'm speechless. Lol 😵

·
Registered
9,743 Posts

Is that true?
Honda Radio / Navigation Code Retrieval and Reset Instructions

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
You just slayed me taking your Pilot
in for an oil change after you DIY a timing belt. I'm I'm speechless. Lol 😵
Me too! I'm like 'You took it to t stealership for an Oil change? And you just did your own TB?'
That's the strangest thing I've read in a long time. LOL

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me too! I'm like 'You took it to t stealership for an Oil change? And you just did your own TB?'
That's the strangest thing I've read in a long time. LOL
As I mentioned in my post, I am profound Deaf since birth so I can’t heard engine or any bad noise from the vehicle.

Some thing we have to rely on hearing person to check for us and I figured it worth the 46 dollars to have oil change that they would check out the engine out after seeing my deafness rather than paying over 100 dollars to just check the engine itself.

If you ask any Deaf person what the most biggest vehicle repair bills that they often have to shell out for even on newer vehicle, most will respond brake jobs since we can’t hear the scratching warning when pads get to a point of needing to be replaced so often we Deaf people grind it down to bare metal to the rotor.

It’s the life of being Deaf.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
As I mentioned in my post, I am profound Deaf since birth so I can’t heard engine or any bad noise from the vehicle.

Some thing we have to rely on hearing person to check for us and I figured it worth the 46 dollars to have oil change that they would check out the engine out after seeing my deafness rather than paying over 100 dollars to just check the engine itself.

If you ask any Deaf person what the most biggest vehicle repair bills that they often have to shell out for even on newer vehicle, most will respond brake jobs since we can’t hear the scratching warning when pads get to a point of needing to be replaced so often we Deaf people grind it down to bare metal to the rotor.

Now I'm going to go somewhere and hide.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts

When my kids bring their cars to home for me to fix the brakes it wasn’t because they didn’t hear it LOL😅 One time the pads were so thin they migrated past the caliper pistons :censored:
Good idea on the oil change to get some feedback. I thought you were just tired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts