Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

I'm an IDIOT

5K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  rockman19762001 
#1 ·
I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot.

There was some tar stuck on the driver's side door of my Pilot. I was having a hard time taking it out. So I took another rag that was a bit coarse. Rubbed hard and got the tar out. Yeah!... Uh oh, stupid me, tar came out alrighty, but it looks like I scratched up the clearcoat as well. Look at the area from an angle and you will notice a dull spot where the clear coat was taken off.

Before I do anymore damage, what do you guys think about Meguirs Scratch X. Supposedly this stuff will help eliminate scratches and swirls.

I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot. I'm an Idiot.

#2 ·
:D just buy a fine rubbing compound and wipe it with a water moistened rag until you cannot see it anymore. no big deal. and do not start banging your head on the wall yet!

#4 ·
My theory is to start with the least abrasive stuff first, and work your way up. I'd start with a wax or wax/cleaner like Meguires. Go easy and use a soft cloth. This may take out enough of the surface scratches that you won't notice it anymore. If this doesn't work, try a polish with light abrasives. If that doesn't work, then go very lightly with a polishing compound.

Good luck. From what you've described, I think you'll be able to take care of it pretty easily.

#5 ·
RUFIO said:

if you insist so hard we will agree:2: :2: :2: :2: :2:

#6 ·
RUFIO said:

Before I do anymore damage, what do you guys think about Meguirs Scratch X. Supposedly this stuff will help eliminate scratches and swirls.

I have used this product with good results, it is on the strong side of waxes/cleaners but it is still a wax/cleaner not a compound, so I would start with it but if the scratches are bad they might not take them out and you might need to move on to a light compound. Good luck and let us know how the scratch X works for you or if you need to use something else.

#7 ·
wow this scratch x stuff works pretty good!

Before when you look at the spot from an angle you could see an obvious dull spot surrounded by scratches. It was an eye sore on a bright sunny day. The car would sparkle except for the one spot.

Well this morning I applied two coats of scratch x and the dull spot is gone. The scratches for the most part are gone as well. Looking at the area it's not as obvious anymore. You have to really squint to find the spot now.

I should have taken pics before and after. would have been a good Meguirs promotion.

So coming back to my original problem, what are best means to removing tough stains such as tar without ruining the clearcoat/paint of the car?

#8 ·
guitarman said:
My theory is to start with the least abrasive stuff first, and work your way up. I'd start with a wax or wax/cleaner like Meguires. Go easy and use a soft cloth. This may take out enough of the surface scratches that you won't notice it anymore. If this doesn't work, try a polish with light abrasives. If that doesn't work, then go very lightly with a polishing compound.

Good luck. From what you've described, I think you'll be able to take care of it pretty easily.
I agree with the above, but want to add, that taking out scratches without putting in swirles is as much about method as it is about product.

Remember, the best body and detail shops don't use any special or magic stuff. Just good old 3M polish (of the corect grade) and lots of practice.

#10 ·
:D I saw the dealer in michigan apply some spray to remove some bird droppings without harming the clear coat. might be a good bet to ask them.

#12 ·
WD 40

WD 40 is great. If you get oil etc on cloth seats a little WD 40 on a cloth takes it off. Same thing for smudges on the headliner or carpet etc.

#15 ·
N_Jay said:

Hmm, seems they make bug and tar remover for this purpose.
Why buy a specialized product when what you have around the house does as good a job or better? B&T remover's probably nothing more than WD40 in a brighter package, and 300% markup, anyway.

#18 ·
jay said:
Why buy a specialized product when what you have around the house does as good a job or better? B&T remover's probably nothing more than WD40 in a brighter package, and 300% markup, anyway.
... plus saving a trip to the store isn't too bad. :)

By the way, jay, thanks for that sap removal URL!

#19 ·
jay said:

Well then just use Windex. It fixes anything! :2: :2:

I guess I believe that most of the time there is a good reason why products are designed for a specific purpose.

They may do other things, but either not as well or with side effects.

WD-40 is a decent solvent, but it is also a lubricant.

So now you have stripped any wax off the finish and left an oily coating making re-waxing difficult.

Bug and tar remover is typicaly mineral spirits (solvent that eveporates clean) mixed with a wax to restore the surface.
It may also have a small amount of polish in it to act as a mild abrasive.

You would be better just using paint thinner (strait mineral spirits) and rewaxing, than using WD-40

#20 ·
N_Jay said:
Well then just use Windex. It fixes anything!
Not sure if you are joking are not N_Jay, but it does a great job of pulling up soiled spots on carpets... if you don't have something like Tuff Stuff lying around. I prefer Gunk (spray can) glass cleaner over Windex due to Windex's habit of streaking.

Good point about the effects WD40 on wax...

By the way, do you use duct tape on anything other than ducts ? :)

#22 ·
rtresco said:

Not sure if you are joking are not N_Jay, but it does a great job of pulling up soiled spots on carpets... if you don't have something like Tuff Stuff lying around. I prefer Gunk (spray can) glass cleaner over Windex due to Windex's habit of streaking.

Good point about the effects WD40 on wax...

By the way, do you use duct tape on anything other than ducts ? :)
Hmmm, thought EVERYONE had seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding":2: :2: (RE: Windex line)

As for Duct tape, it depends. I use Aluminum (not cloth) duct tape on ducts. And I have been known to use a role or two of Racers Tape! :2:

#23 ·
N_Jay said:

snip...

I guess I believe that most of the time there is a good reason why products are designed for a specific purpose.

...snip

Some of the most useful products we have today are a result of research that was trying to do something totally different, and by accident the product resulted. Ever see the commercial about Lexan?

A lot of the products designed for a specific purpose are now on the trash heap of free market forces.

#24 ·
jay said:

Some of the most useful products we have today are a result of research that was trying to do something totally different, and by accident the product resulted. Ever see the commercial about Lexan?

A lot of the products designed for a specific purpose are now on the trash heap of free market forces.
Very true about discoveries, less true about marketed products.

Sometimes a products side-effect in its principal application is a useful attribute in another application, but it typically does not make it the "best" product for that use.

Carburetor cleaner makes a great bug and tar remover, but I am not putting that on my paint!

#25 ·
N_Jay said:

Hmmm, thought EVERYONE had seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding":2: :2: (RE: Windex line)

As for Duct tape, it depends. I use Aluminum (not cloth) duct tape on ducts. And I have been known to use a role or two of Racers Tape! :2:
Haven't caught that flick yet... my bad. :D Guess there weren't enough explosions in it for me :2:

Regarding the Aluminum tape, I recently purchased my first ever roll of HVAC tape to patch some places in the attic... is that the same stuff you are talking about? That HVAC roll is some serious tape, and not cheap.

Never heard of Racer's Tape, so I id a Google search. Looks like duct tape with color choices. :) Heck, they even have helicoptor tape!

#26 ·
rtresco said:

Never heard of Racer's Tape, so I id a Google search. Looks like duct tape with color choices. :) Heck, they even have helicoptor tape!
Yep, real sticky, smooth, and collorful duct tape!
But nothing looks cooler across your headlights at an autocross.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.