Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best and most expensive way to get the key to turn? Is there a replacement available for just the tumbler assembly?

·
Registered
830 Posts
What is the best and most expensive way to get the key to turn? Is there a replacement available for just the tumbler assembly?
Best is to remove the worn wafers, probably only one or two, and reassemble. No new parts needed.

Find the YouTube video: 2003 Honda Odyssey ignition sticking. Shows you just what to do.

You can replace the cylinder, I think you have to purchase a cylinder/switch assembly. However, a new cylinder means a new key, and your immobilizer system will not recognize it without reprogramming. If you are handy with tools, it's easier and cheaper to just remove the worn out wafers, put a little lithium grease on the cylinder, and reassemble.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,960 Posts
Before replacing anything you might try to clean out the key cylinder with some TriFlow Superior lubricant. Squirt a little in, insert and remove the key, repeat until the key comes out clean.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It could also be a worn key. You can buy a blank from Ebay, have an automotive locksmith cut it to the key code of your car (found on the lock in the glove box) and see if that new key turns fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks to you all for the help. After a couple of hours and removal of three wafers, the key turns and the Pilot starts.
Life is good for the moment.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Glad that it worked out! Same job that I had to do on my 2003.

By the way, it's been almost two years since I fixed my ignition lock by pulling out the worn wafers. Everything is still working just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts