Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inherited a 2010 Pilot EX -L. Today wife parked it in driveway and next drive reports key wont turn in ignition. Sure enough, even turning steering wheel noth ways full won't free up the ig ition switch to allow key to turn. After 10.minutes of jiggling, shaking, twisting I blasted some powdered graphite lube in ignition hole and it finally turned.

Obviously a stuck or worn tumber or component. My question is that although graphite helped, I suspect that is not a forever fix. Kind of worried now that it could happen again at any time. Dont quite trust it now.

Any thoughts on ignition cylinder issues like this? Blast of WD40 help or just temp fix? DIY project or not so much?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Definitely never put WD40 in any lock, it attracts dirt and dust over time and makes things worse. Try a small amount of graphite if you want, but probably will require replacing the wafers inside the lock.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
WD-40 used to be my go-to lock deicer back in the day, until I learned better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats why I asked. A blast of graphite solved it temporarily, not going to count on it as a fix. Is this. DIY job or not so much?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
Depends on your skill level. Keep a little graphite in your glove compartment just in case and see if it happens again. Graphite is usually pretty good, but I've had a lot of success recently with silicone spray lubricant. Use very sparingly around electronics, though. YMMV.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My Pilot had this problem before I got it. I've got separate keys for the doors and ignition.

After getting irritated with this, I stopped by a local locksmith that I had some history with, hoping to find that making it right was a simple job that he did regularly. That turned out not to be the case.

He had done a few. He discouraged me from even considering trying as a DIY, and suggested that paying the dealer was worth it to have someone else on the hook to get everything interoperating correctly if I wanted it back to "original". In his opinion, my "split key" solution was the most practical outcome. I didn't dig deeper, having decided I wasn't that irritated.

My suggestion is to be happy that the graphite got you going today, but get your Plan B defined and ready to go. As andywatson notes, there's probably a bigger job in your future.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The video to get it out doesn't seem that bad at all:

This guy suggests, depending on model, you can actually drill a small hole that will allow you to remove the round pin holding just the cylinder in. Not a Pilot though so might not be similar:

I know ..... famous last words.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,844 Posts
The locksmith I went to when getting keys cut equated graphite powder to sandpaper. His suggestion was to use TriFlow superior lubricant to lube and clean out the lock cylinder. My cleaning method was put some lubricant on the key, insert the key, remove the key, and wipe key with a lint free cloth. Repeat until the key comes out of the lock cylinder clean.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
My Pilot had this problem before I got it. I've got separate keys for the doors and ignition.

After getting irritated with this, I stopped by a local locksmith that I had some history with, hoping to find that making it right was a simple job that he did regularly. That turned out not to be the case.

He had done a few. He discouraged me from even considering trying as a DIY, and suggested that paying the dealer was worth it to have someone else on the hook to get everything interoperating correctly if I wanted it back to "original". In his opinion, my "split key" solution was the most practical outcome. I didn't dig deeper, having decided I wasn't that irritated.

My suggestion is to be happy that the graphite got you going today, but get your Plan B defined and ready to go. As andywatson notes, there's probably a bigger job in your future.
I rekeyed all my Pilot locks a few months ago using a $30 wafer kit from ebay. I'm an engineer and have the tools and skills to deal with what was required, but it's definitely not something the average car owner should attempt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trifles. Used that on most of my mt. Bike sift and brake cables. I'm going to see if I can get that cyclinder out and take to locksmith to rebuild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts