Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 205K mi
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 of the ignition coil pack on cylinder#5(front, 2nd from left) is showing signs of damage, see pics showing bad and good coil. I didn't get check engine light yet, but since my spark plugs are due for replacement, should I be replacing all coil packs? Any recommendations for the brand?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
What does the spark plug attached to that coil look like?
Is it burned?

Reactions: Depleted Islet

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a service bulletin on spark plug damage due to the variable cylinder system causing problem. look that up. It may be covered by your dealer.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I've looked at this again. The heat appears to be external. Are you missing the heat shield on the catalytic converter? #5 coil is right above it.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
I've looked at this again. The heat appears to be external. Are you missing the heat shield on the catalytic converter? #5 coil is right above it.
Pic of damaged coil attached
When a coil goes bad, it slowly explodes from the inside. Yours look like it’s getting cooked from the outside. @Nail Grease is brain power 500% once again!

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
When a coil goes bad, it slowly explodes from the inside. Yours look like it’s getting cooked from the outside. @Nail Grease is brain power 500% once again!
Well I'd feel better about my thoughts if we could get a photo of the front cat. Please. (Not the cat on the front porch 😁)

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Spark plug is good, ceramic sleeve seems intact and no signs of arcing, see image. You may have a point about coil pack getting damaged from exterior, I don't see any shield between coil and catalytic converter
Electrical shielding on cable connection to coil pack is charred.
Yes, you missing the coil heat shield and the plastic housing that keep the coil wire off valve cover.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,299 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any idea what the part # are for the coil heat shield and plastic cover?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rear coil doesn't have the shield, but it may not be symmetrical. Can I use heat reflective tape around the coil and wires? The wiring seems to be fused to the PVC, might as well go with easier fix and see how long it goes?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
The rear coil doesn't have the shield, but it may not be symmetrical. Can I use heat reflective tape around the coil and wires? The wiring seems to be fused to the PVC, might as well go with easier fix and see how long it goes?
Those little heat insulators are $30 each. It's ridiculous. I'd be inclined to craft some from any flexable metal I could find that can be cut with tin snips. Of course you would still need the short 10mm bolts. I'd be afraid of wraping metal around the coil. It may have the opposite effect.

Reactions: cloudasc

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Those little heat insulators are $30 each. It's ridiculous. I'd be inclined to craft some from any flexable metal I could find that can be cut with tin snips. Of course you would still need the short 10mm bolts. I'd be afraid of wraping metal around the coil. It may have the opposite effect.
Sounds like a trip to the junkyard is in order for the OP with those prices 😉

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,299 Posts
Sounds like a trip to the junkyard is in order for the OP with those prices 😉
Yup, recycle and help save the planet. And some lucre, too.

Can't imagine there's a super high demand for that, so it should be fairly easy to find, even on a Pilot that looks like it's been picked clean.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Yup, recycle and help save the planet. And some lucre, too.

Can't imagine there's a super high demand for that, so it should be fairly easy to find, even on a Pilot that looks like it's been picked clean.
It's one of those things you might discard because you think it does nothing.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
I'd expect that part to be shared with other hondas like the Oddyssey? Would widen the available donor sources significantly if so.

Edit: looking at the part Nail Grease linked it does seem to be the same and listed as compatible with 2005-2010 Oddysey's via the same site.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts