Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed my plugs today and noticed a little oil coating on my 2nd coil but no oil on the spark plug. I looked around and did not notice any oil leaks from the valve cover seal or under the car. I check the oil level on the dip stick a day it looked the same as when I changed the oil a few weeks ago. Also no misfires codes. I Wondering if it’s the valve seals? What it might cost and if it could wait for me to dl the timing belt in another 50k Miles. And has any one replaced them.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I changed my plugs today and noticed a little oil coating on my 2nd coil but no oil on the spark plug. I looked around and did not notice any oil leaks from the valve cover seal or under the car. I check the oil level on the dip stick a day it looked the same as when I changed the oil a few weeks ago. Also no misfires codes. I Wondering if it’s the valve seals? What it might cost and if it could wait for me to dl the timing belt in another 50k Miles. And has any one replaced them.
If it's engine oil, it would be time for valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals replacement. Is it possible that it's dielectric grease?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was on the outside of the coil you could tell it was motor oil. Brown tint

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
It was on the outside of the coil you could tell it was motor oil. Brown tint
If oil is not puddling on top of your spark plugs, you still have some time. I'd watch it closely. Coils drenched in oil will swell the rubber boot. Then you have to get a coil repair kit. CRC Electronic Cleaner is great for cleaning oil off the coil.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the boots on them. Last time i changed the plugs they started to look dry, Today I changed all the boots on the coils with the spark plugs. I wiped it off pretty well. I wonder if it’s worth my time to change the seals or just take it to the shop. Anyone know the cost of a repair and replacement?

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I changed the boots on them. Last time i changed the plugs they started to look dry, Today I changed all the boots on the coils with the spark plugs. I wiped it off pretty well. I wonder if it’s worth my time to change the seals or just take it to the shop. Anyone know the cost of a repair and replacement?
It's not a difficult DIY. Lots of videos on YouTube. I've used Fel-Pro gaskets with success but for confidence, I'd probably buy OEM. You would also need an intake manifold gasket set. Again, I wouldn't feel like I have to do this tomorrow with what you described.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand not bringing it done tomorrow I prefer to waiting and see. I watched a few videos didn’t look too difficult I just keeping all the screws organized. Thanks for the info as always very informative

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I've never used antiseize, but I've also never used cheap made spark plugs that rust like Autolite.
Stainless spark plugs in an aluminum block, there is really no need for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts