Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the ignition assembly on the 2004 pilot and am wondering if anyone has done this? The key will not insert properly and I see you can get the entire assembly with keys for around $150. I was just wondering about how it would work with the antitheft key recognition etc? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I am going to replace the ignition assembly on the 2004 pilot and am wondering if anyone has done this? The key will not insert properly and I see you can get the entire assembly with keys for around $150. I was just wondering about how it would work with the antitheft key recognition etc? Thanks for any input.

There are many threads on this forum discussing this problem. Try a couple of searches for stuck ignition key, etc.

You are right to be concerned about the immobilizer circuit. The sensor on the cylinder reads the chip in the key, and the car's computer will not allow it to start if the chip has changed. Tow the car to Honda? There's a couple hundred $ for sure. Mobile locksmith? I don't know if they can do a Honda reprogram.

There is another option. Your sticky cylinder is caused by a couple of worn wafers that will no longer follow the pattern on the key. It is possible to take the cylinder out and remove the worn wafers, leaving the rest in place. I did this on my 2003 when I purchased it a couple of years ago. The key has worked perfectly since then. The benefit is that my ignition key still matches the door locks, and no reprogramming was required. If you are handy with tools, you may wish to try this trick first.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
possible chance to upgrade to the start button ? would this work with the gen 1s?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,953 Posts
Have you tried cleaning out the assembly with oil? Local locksmith uses TriFlow Superior Lubricant. Squirt a bit in, insert key, remove key, wipe key, repeat until the key comes out clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts