Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
9 fees to NEVER pay a car dealership. Tips on car buying, how to negotiate, and how to buy a car

I've never paid more than $50 for doc fee.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Someone should make a video on the things car salesman or sales managers shouldn't say to customers while negotiation...

"I have to pay people to process all of this"

"My salesman needs to feed his/her family"

There have to be more but I try to block those experiences out from my mind. For loving cars I HATE buying them. I usually do research online on the cheapest prices they are listed for or people are paying on forums and get as close to that as possible.

My father-in-law always had a humorous tactic, he would take a newspaper and anytime the salesman told him something he didn't like or said he couldn't do his price he would just start reading. Shows them the respect they deserve IMO.

Reactions: ys1219 and Sha93

·
Registered
60 Posts
Our horror story is with Herb Cambers in Boston. We live in northern VT so a 4hr drive through a snow storm at the time because of the deal we see online and verify car/price with a phone call before making the trip. Unfortunately we have 3 little kids all under 5 at the time in our Odyssey w/100k we have to bring. Make a scheduled viewing. When we arrive they were surprised to see us thinking we wouldn't come. Go through the car buying process. Things stalled for a bit and they tried to get rid of us because we wouldn't finance with them at first. Eventually we supposedly close the deal without the trade in of 3k they offered for our van. Waited 4hrs to get the car AFTER in order to drive it back to VT. Told it wouldn't be ready until later in the week. Go home list the Odyssey for 6k and sell it for 5.5k two days later. That night, get a call saying they now sold the Pilot to someone else but we could use our downpayment $ towards another car. Thinking we are now without a kid hauler...Tell them to find our car or find a comparable Pilot! They call back the next day saying they now have it, come in later this week for pick up. Get there, wait 4 more hours, still not ready, don't know when it will be. Problems getting their paper work in order. You'll have to come back again next week. Drive back home...Called Corporate about being jerked around. The following week they made them through in $500 worth of accessories and drive it to VT to us in the end. Met them at the 802 Honda dealership and had them pay to cut a spare key and insure it passed VT inspection before taking ownership delivery. It was a 09 ex Pilot w/61k for 10.5k 3 years ago, although doc fee was $400 on top of the price

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
Our horror story is with Herb Cambers in Boston. We live in northern VT so a 4hr drive through a snow storm at the time because of the deal we see online and verify car/price with a phone call before making the trip. Unfortunately we have 3 little kids all under 5 at the time in our Odyssey w/100k we have to bring. Make a scheduled viewing. When we arrive they were surprised to see us thinking we wouldn't come. Go through the car buying process. Things stalled for a bit and they tried to get rid of us because we wouldn't finance with them at first. Eventually we supposedly close the deal without the trade in of 3k they offered for our van. Waited 4hrs to get the car AFTER in order to drive it back to VT. Told it wouldn't be ready until later in the week. Go home list the Odyssey for 6k and sell it for 5.5k two days later. That night, get a call saying they now sold the Pilot to someone else but we could use our downpayment $ towards another car. Thinking we are now without a kid hauler...Tell them to find our car or find a comparable Pilot! They call back the next day saying they now have it, come in later this week for pick up. Get there, wait 4 more hours, still not ready, don't know when it will be. Problems getting their paper work in order. You'll have to come back again next week. Drive back home...Called Corporate about being jerked around. The following week they made them through in $500 worth of accessories and drive it to VT to us in the end. Met them at the 802 Honda dealership and had them pay to cut a spare key and insure it passed VT inspection before taking ownership delivery. It was a 09 ex Pilot w/61k for 10.5k 3 years ago, although doc fee was $400 on top of the price
I'm in a small town in Texas. When buying new, knowing exactly what I want, I make the deal on the phone. They are usually more than willing to drive it to you. Some have driven almost 300 miles.
Great call on the bad trade!

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Wow that's a terrible experience. Sometimes it's worth spending a little more at a local dealer I suppose. Being 30 mins from Baltimore we are fortunate to have Philly, Baltimore and DC metros available to us so options are usually plentiful.

I'm in a small town in Texas. When buying new, knowing exactly what I want, I make the deal on the phone. They are usually more than willing to drive it to you. Some have driven almost 300 miles.
Great call on the bad trade!
Yea, nobody has ever heard of Houston before... :unsure: :unsure: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts