Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just DIY replaced my front and rear motor mounts on a 2017 EX-L and the "what I thought was road noise and poor sound dampening by Honda" has turned out to be bad motor mounts. The difference is night and day.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,894 Posts
How many miles again on your 2017? What did your road noise sound like?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My car is brand new and I have bad road noise so I doubt it's my motor mounts. I added sound deadening on the floor boards, roof, some along the lower dash then but closed cell foam and some mass loaded vinyl and it quiet down the car a lot. Compared to my MDX, the biggest difference that will help is the front dual layered windows.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles again on your 2017? What did your road noise sound like?
I'm at 22k, bought it with 19k at auction. I'm sure they were broke then.
It was never ending constant low octive humming vibration, an occasional higher pitch vibration when accelerating or deceleration. The old rear mount was 1/4 inch shorter than the new mount.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car is brand new and I have bad road noise so I doubt it's my motor mounts. I added sound deadening on the floor boards, roof, some along the lower dash then but closed cell foam and some mass loaded vinyl and it quiet down the car a lot. Compared to my MDX, the biggest difference that will help is the front dual layered windows.
That's just it. I have no significant road noise at all now. These Honda's are known to have bad engine mount trouble early on.
How to test for bad engine mounts.....
When your engine is warmed up. Shift into gear with your left foot on the brake firmly and gently press on the gas pedal, putting the engine under a slight load. If you hear knocking you likely have a bad engine mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts