Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

If you need only two new tires:

If you need only two new tires:

8890 158
A) Should you buy two premium-priced Michelin touring tires?
- OR -
B) Should you buy four bargain-priced Sumitomo high performance tires?
- OR -
C) Four made-in-USA Toyo tires that, after a price match and a rebate, were even less expensive than the Sumitomo tires.

There are no other options, dontcha know.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

· Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
If I had to guess, I'd say that the previous owner of my daughter's 2007 got those 18" rims aftermarket, not OEM.

· Registered
10,590 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Would that 18in steel fit a 3rd Gen Pilot? Don't want to pay a junkyard $200 for an alloy rim that's going under the 👢 as a full size spare. 😁
I managed to find an alloy 18 inch Honda wheel at a used tire/wheel outfit. They wanted $60.- for the alloy. (it's straight but somewhat scratched)

I was able to trade some OEM tires that were on my Father's F150 when he went with a set of Michelin Defender LTX's. (The OEM's were Goodyear Wranglers with ~24K on them) Discount would have tossed the Goodyear Wranglers or turned them over to a used tire outfit so I just threw them in the back of my Dad's truck.

I mounted the best Bridgestone Dueler I had as OEM on my 2017 Pilot on the junkyard Honda alloy and that's my full sized spare.

· Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Firestone Destination LE3 = Per Tire: $133.99

vs.

Kumho Crugen HT51 = Per Tire: $115.00

and

Hmm, decisions, decisions...

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,905 Posts

· Registered
13,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
It was founded in 1903 by German settlers in Qingdao... Oh wait, that's the beer (pretty good, actually, if you've ever tried it).

· Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
186 Posts
A) Should you buy two premium-priced Michelin touring tires?
- OR -
B) Should you buy four bargain-priced Sumitomo high performance tires?
- OR -
C) Four made-in-USA Toyo tires that, after a price match and a rebate, were even less expensive than the Sumitomo tires.

There are no other options, dontcha know.
Fools choices.

I would, and have bought two used tires that match the remaining tires on the vehicle.....

· Registered
14,905 Posts
Are you denying the results of the TireRack tests, again?

The Destination LE3 is a new model.
When did you use them to make your determination?
The Tire Rack test putting Firestone, Bridgestone, Goodyear ahead of the competion is common practice. What do the consumers say?
I also don't buy 44psi max inflation rate tires anymore. That tells me you gave me a not as durable light weight tire.

· Registered
10,590 Posts
The Tire Rack test putting Firestone, Bridgestone, Goodyear ahead of the competion is common practice. What do the consumers say?
I also don't buy 44psi max inflation rate tires anymore. That tells me you gave me a not as durable light weight tire.
Consumers say they like their new tires better than their old worn out ones.
How many consumers compare different new tires on their vehicle?

Why don't you use only LT type tires that have an 80 psi maximum pressure rating?

· Registered
14,905 Posts
How many consumers compare different new tires on their vehicle?
Maybe some haven't, but there are some who have. In the end, the consumer rating will tell the story. In my long history of using Firestone/Bridgestone tires.., sadly, a once good company gone bad. They don't have any tires I want anymore.
Why don't you use only LT type tires that have an 80 psi maximum pressure rating?
Because a Pilot's GVWR doesn't warrant a tire of that rating. A little overkill, don't you think?

· Registered
142 Posts
I've spent a few hours going through consumer ratings of tires from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, as well as manufacture's web site where consumers can rate tires. My conclusion is that consumer ratings are highly subjective.

First off, how can one get a feel for tire comparisons when one cannot drive identical vehicles with various tires? ANS: One can spout all they wish about consumer ratings having some relevance, but probably not much.

Next, it's always interesting to see the number of miles an individual has put on a set of tire that they're rating. I have found people who've put 10K or even 60K miles on a set of tires and they're the ratings that would be most accurate to me. But really, how much can you say about a tire after putting 600 miles or even 1500 miles on a set of tires? Again, probably not much.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is to look at the manufacture's warranty, just for rough comparison purposes. Compare 50K, 60K or 70K mile warranty tires against others in it's class so to speak.

· Registered
14,905 Posts
I've spent a few hours going through consumer ratings of tires from Tire Rack, Discount Tire, as well as manufacture's web site where consumers can rate tires. My conclusion is that consumer ratings are highly subjective.

First off, how can one get a feel for tire comparisons when one cannot drive identical vehicles with various tires? ANS: One can spout all they wish about consumer ratings having some relevance, but probably not much.

Next, it's always interesting to see the number of miles an individual has put on a set of tire that they're rating. I have found people who've put 10K or even 60K miles on a set of tires and they're the ratings that would be most accurate to me. But really, how much can you say about a tire after putting 600 miles or even 1500 miles on a set of tires? Again, probably not much.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is to look at the manufacture's warranty, just for rough comparison purposes. Compare 50K, 60K or 70K mile warranty tires against others in it's class so to speak.
I don't disagree that some consumers are just happy to get a new set of tires. But let's take this for instance where TireRack really pours on the gravy for Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS...

Makes an SUV handle like a sports car, Seriously? LMBO! I almost died if I had not let off the gas when the tire rolled over on the sidewalls in a curve.
Now what do consumers say...
Would buy again is 3.2 poor. This was one of the worst big name tires I ever road on. My point is the consumers will eventually get it right.
There is also some misleading testing happening. The tire tested in this case was a better made version than what was pushed out to the public. And at a ridiculous $230 per tire price.

Reactions: aggrex

· Registered
142 Posts
^^ Well, one thing is for sure in my opinion, My Bridgestone Duelers had ~25.5K on them and when the rain got heavy I was hydroplaning even after I backed it off to 35-45mph,.........

Unbelievable that someone can purchase a $35-$42K vehicle and the manufacture can hand it over to the customer with such poor shoes.

Here's another random review from Tire Rack about the Duelers,....
Vehicle:
2016 Honda Pilot AWD

• Miles Driven on Tires:
  • Driving Condition:
    Combined Highway/City
    Driving Style:
    Average
41,000 Miles on Tires
September 13, 2020
Came with my vehicle when new. Overall they are okay, but are overpriced so I won't be buying another set. They feel very soft on corners. Tread life was better than expected.

I'm sure the guy's not lying. Difficult to take this seriously after having driven on the Duelers for 2K-3K miles.

Maybe the aggregate of several hundred reviews came to the conclusion that you've outlined which is more realistic.

· Registered
142 Posts
Unbelievable, but another raving review for the Duelers:

Tire:

Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport ASCrossover/SUV Touring All-Season

Vehicle:

2011 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus

5.0 (Stars)

• Miles Driven on Tires:

NEW EGYPT, NJ

• Driving Condition:

Combined Highway/City

Driving Style:

Average

Tire Photo Buy/More Info

3,000 Miles on Tires (Verified Purchase)
October 26, 2020

Initial impression is very good. They are better than the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season that were replaced. The ride is smooth, quiet and they have excellent dry road handling.

I feel sorry for the poor sap that takes this review to heart........

141 - 159 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.