Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

If you need only two new tires:

If you need only two new tires:

9010 Views 158 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  ganiflan
A) Should you buy two premium-priced Michelin touring tires?
- OR -
B) Should you buy four bargain-priced Sumitomo high performance tires?
- OR -
C) Four made-in-USA Toyo tires that, after a price match and a rebate, were even less expensive than the Sumitomo tires.

There are no other options, dontcha know.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts

· Registered
5,831 Posts
There are lots of good tires around
Quote of the day. We can argue over which good tire should be bought, how fortunate we are.

· Registered
10,603 Posts

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,006 Posts
Flat on a road trip? Choosey Piloteers can’t be too picky. Running one or two 7 yr old Maypop or Cordovan tires is better than walking home.
Well that's true, but you will likely get fleeced for a 💩 tire. Then have to pay again for another tire you really need. Best to plan ahead.

Reactions: aggrex

· Registered
15,006 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
You did see where I posted that mine are all stamped Made in Germany?

I know how to read date stamps, but didn't bother.

They are quiet and seem to do well in pouring rain, and the snow too.

There are lots of good tires around
While making the appointment to have some new tires put on my Father's F150 the Discount Tire manager at a store in Las Vegas told my Dad that tire technology has advanced to the point where even rather inexpensive tires are pretty decent.

My wife were both disappointed with how quickly the OEM Continental tires wore on her 2017 Toyota RAV4. 24K of light town and hwy miles with a very light load and they were nearly bald,........And although my Pilot's OEM Bridgestone Dueler A/S still had a fair amount of tread left the were completely unacceptable in the rain I encountered.

But I've found reviews from people who like the Bridgestone Duelers. To each their own I guess.

· Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I am gonna whine about emojicons being removed... they were so much more fun to use than the new cell phone style emojis. I miss emojicons.

Whew, glad there isn't some kind of standard for goofiness; otherwise, I would have been reprimanded from here 'til kingdom come, er, the end of the entropy of the universe.

Ain't nothing wrong with injecting a bit of levity into a staid automobile forum. What's a little good-natured ribbing among fellow car buff amigos?

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
605 Posts
While making the appointment to have some new tires put on my Father's F150 the Discount Tire manager at a store in Las Vegas told my Dad that tire technology has advanced to the point where even rather inexpensive tires are pretty decent.

My wife were both disappointed with how quickly the OEM Continental tires wore on her 2017 Toyota RAV4. 24K of light town and hwy miles with a very light load and they were nearly bald,........And although my Pilot's OEM Bridgestone Dueler A/S still had a fair amount of tread left the were completely unacceptable in the rain I encountered.

But I've found reviews from people who like the Bridgestone Duelers. To each their own I guess.
Our shop was a General tire dealer for 47 years. Then Conti bought in.
I have no good stories about Conti tread life, in fact I hate them. General, on the other hand love them.

· Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·

I think car makers often put cheap tires on as OEM the same way printer manufacturers only include "starter" ink cartridges -- to shave a few bucks off production costs.

· Registered
142 Posts
I think car makers often put cheap tires on as OEM the same way printer manufacturers only include "starter" ink cartridges -- to shave a few bucks off production costs.
I have to agree. I suppose if it didn't work for them they would not continue. But, for first time buyers or persons who are loyal to other brands, if manufactures made a high value tire as an OEM product when it came time for replacements I believe buyers might just go with another set made by the company who they've had a good experience with.

On that same note, given my negative experience, I will never own another set of Continental or Bridgestone tires.

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
605 Posts
I have to agree. I suppose if it didn't work for them they would not continue. But, for first time buyers or persons who are loyal to other brands, if manufactures made a high value tire as an OEM product when it came time for replacements I believe buyers might just go with another set made by the company who they've had a good experience with.

On that same note, given my negative experience, I will never own another set of Continental or Bridgestone tires.
I never understand why company would put sub par products on a car. I realize they are giving them to plants at next to nothing cost. But it is the consumer who gets the sub par, and never buy their product again.

· Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 · (Edited)
@plplplpl
What size tires?
This tire has great reviews.
View attachment 141836
For the summer tires (three-season), OEM size is what she'll be looking for this spring. Looks like those would fit.

For the winter tires in the fall, she'll be looking for an 18" mountain/snowflake tire that's good on ice and slush. The winter steelie rims she got with her Pilot are 18", so she'll keep using those to save on an extra expense.

· Registered
15,006 Posts
For the summer tires (three-seson), OEM size is what she'll be looking for this spring. Looks like those would fit.

For the winter tires in the fall, she'll be looking for an 18" mountain/snowflake tire that's good on ice and slush. The winter steelie rims she got with her Pilot are 18", so she'll keep using those to save on an extra expense.
Would that 18in steel fit a 3rd Gen Pilot? Don't want to pay a junkyard $200 for an alloy rim that's going under the 👢 as a full size spare. 😁

· Registered
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
I should have tried to see if those 18" fit under her 2007 as a full size spare before she put them on.
We'll try in the spring.

As for a 3rd gen Pilot, I have no idea.

· Registered
142 Posts
For the summer tires (three-season), OEM size is what she'll be looking for this spring. Looks like those would fit.

I didn't know that Honda offered any steel 18 inch rims OEM. If you don't mind me asking what year is your pilot? If the steel wheels would fit my 2017 I'll keep my eyes open for some.

121 - 140 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.