Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

If you need only two new tires:

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A) Should you buy two premium-priced Michelin touring tires?
- OR -
B) Should you buy four bargain-priced Sumitomo high performance tires?
- OR -
C) Four made-in-USA Toyo tires that, after a price match and a rebate, were even less expensive than the Sumitomo tires.

There are no other options, dontcha know.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
C) Four made-in-USA Toyo tires that, after a price match and a rebate, were even less expensive than the Sumitomo tires.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too verbose to fit it all in as a choice.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
When I exceed the speed limit on the road I prefer running 4 matched tires especially when piloting the Pilot

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I'd bite the bullet and buy 4 High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s.
(I couldn't honestly vote the poll.)

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I refuse to vote based on the poorly thought out choices.

I rotate my tires regularly so replacing two tires is completely foreign to me and I look down on people who are in that situation. I am a tire rotating elitist.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
I refuse to vote based on the poorly thought out choices. The poll creator should be castrated.

I rotate my tires regularly so replacing two tires is completely foreign to me and I look down on people who are in that situation. I am a tire rotating elitist.
I agree. You should never have to replace only 2 tires.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I refuse to vote based on the poorly thought out choices. The poll creator should be castrated.

Some criticism may be in order, but don't you think the physical punishment is a bit extreme? 😳

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
I agree. You should never have to replace only 2 tires.
You obviously have never irreparably punctured the sidewall on a tire of a 4 wheel drive vehicle when the tires had most of their life left. 2WD no problem, put the new tire on the non powered end. 4WD not so good.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
You obviously have never irreparably punctured the sidewall on a tire of a 4 wheel drive vehicle when the tires had most of their life left. 2WD no problem, put the new tire on the non powered end. 4WD not so good.
you are correct. I have replaced one tire before because the flat was not able to be patched. The tire was only $60 because I knew I'd be replacing all 4 in the next 2 months or so.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Some criticism may be in order, but don't you think the physical punishment is a bit extreme? 😳
Not for this OP. Plus he's from Candiastan, they like that kind of thing.

Multiple times. It sucks and life goes on. My personal experience is why I no longer run low-profile tires, took me two tries at that before I learned my lesson.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Well, I'm not voting so the worst choice already gets 1/2 a vote.
Plus, I feel there will be flagrant fraud with the mail in votes.
So there!

My choice would be tires I felt like buying for the price point, and move on.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
My personal experience is why I no longer run low-profile tires, took me two tries at that before I learned my lesson.
Nothing lower than an aspect ratio of 70 on the present fleet.
Lowest ever was 55. Had a sidewall blowout on a Pirelli winter tire. Went to Continental and Michelin after that.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s make your Pilot feel like....

Reactions: The Todd and ys1219

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Nothing lower than an aspect ratio of 70 on the present fleet.
Lowest ever was 55. Had a sidewall blowout on a Pirelli winter tire. Went to Continental and Michelin after that.
I had some pretty low-profile tires... don't remember the exact size but I had the TL-S waffle weaves (17") and the TL A-Spec (18") wheels on my 7th gen Accord at various points.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
-Hello, Homeland Security? We're calling about a domestic terrorist we've got in our crosshairs waving around a weapon of mass castration.

-Permission granted. Light him up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought my first new car in 2008 and have always kept the tires even and had fun trying different manufacturers.

My Pilot had Bridgestones when I got it used and one of them got a puncture, so I had to decide what to do. I ended up with 2 new Goodyears and the Bridgestones are on the rear. I have the same aversion to having mismatched tires on my car, and at first I was going to buy four, but my buddy at the shop said "Bro the other Bridgestones are fine, just get two", so that's what I did, lol. I don't drive it far usually and it's a sort of 'battle worn' family vehicle that isn't sparkling beautiful but is maintained and reliable, so I just let it be less than perfect and I'm ok with it, lol.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts