Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealership for the 3 service on MM, and the service advisor didn't even know that the pilot had a transfer case. My transmission fluid was changed about 5k miles ago due to the surging TSB, so all I needed was the transfer case done. Service advisor wrote it up after I explained that the pilot (at least the 6 speed) has a separate transfer case to send power back to the rear differential.

When I went back to pick up my car the bill had 3.x quarts of Dual Pump II fluid for the rear diff on there. Service advisor has no idea at this point, so I had to explain that the transfer case takes Hypoid Gear Oil. He called the parts dept, and they confirmed that they sent DSPF II fluid out to my car.

Either they put the wrong fluid in the transfer case, or they changed the rear diff fluid instead. They say they just accidentally did the rear diff instead, but I don't think they know since the mechanic had gone home. They kept it overnight and are going to get if fixed tomorrow.

So if you take your AWD 6 speed in to honda for the "3" service make sure they actually do the transfer case. Hypoid gear oil will be "HGO-1" on the parts list.

Honda only makes 8 vehicles, it doesn't seem like too much of a burden for the dealership staff to know the product.

My suspicion is that a lot of AWD pilots never get the transfer case fluid changed between ignorance at the dealership like this and people doing DIY maitnence not knowing its there. It's probably fine for 100k+ miles anyway, but I plan on keeping this Pilot for a long time.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
So this blows up the theory.., "I go to the dealership so I know it's done right." smirk
This is why I prefer to do my own maintenance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There have been a few incidents of S2000 differentials getting trashed because the dealer used VTM-4 fluid instead of gear oil. I’ll bet there are a few G3’s around with VTM-4 fluid instead of DPSFII in their rear diffs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There have been a few incidents of S2000 differentials getting trashed because the dealer used VTM-4 fluid instead of gear oil. I’ll bet there are a few G3’s around with VTM-4 fluid instead of DPSFII in their rear diffs.
I don't understand how you could drain gear oil and not realize it isn't VTM-4. Maybe someone else drained it.

I haven't actually seen and smelled the new DSPF-II, but VTM-4 doesn't look or smell like what should have come out of the S2000 rear diff.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
I was at the dealership for the 3 service on MM, and the service advisor didn't even know that the pilot had a transfer case. My transmission fluid was changed about 5k miles ago due to the surging TSB, so all I needed was the transfer case done. Service advisor wrote it up after I explained that the pilot (at least the 6 speed) has a separate transfer case to send power back to the rear differential.

When I went back to pick up my car the bill had 3.x quarts of Dual Pump II fluid for the rear diff on there. Service advisor has no idea at this point, so I had to explain that the transfer case takes Hypoid Gear Oil. He called the parts dept, and they confirmed that they sent DSPF II fluid out to my car.

Either they put the wrong fluid in the transfer case, or they changed the rear diff fluid instead. They say they just accidentally did the rear diff instead, but I don't think they know since the mechanic had gone home. They kept it overnight and are going to get if fixed tomorrow.

So if you take your AWD 6 speed in to honda for the "3" service make sure they actually do the transfer case. Hypoid gear oil will be "HGO-1" on the parts list.

Honda only makes 8 vehicles, it doesn't seem like too much of a burden for the dealership staff to know the product.

My suspicion is that a lot of AWD pilots never get the transfer case fluid changed between ignorance at the dealership like this and people doing DIY maitnence not knowing its there. It's probably fine for 100k+ miles anyway, but I plan on keeping this Pilot for a long time.
I understand that it's warranty work? I still do my own usually.
For reasons like this, trying to find any shop, dealer or not that I would trust any service to? Very rare. Currently I do have one independent in the Milwaukee area who so far have always known what they were doing AND is straight up honest about things. A REAL rarity.

How could a service writer not know that an 4WD/AWD- (actually they are neither- but's a whole different thread) does have a transfer case too? I use Super Tech (Wal mart) hypoid gear oil/ GL5 in mine on my 4WD.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
642 Posts
And you only need less than 1/2 quart. I still have a 1/2 bottle of HGO-1 for next time. Who knows maybe I'll swap to a Synthetic version like Mobil 1 or other.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
I know some people prefer the waiting room with their cellphone and a plastic ficus plant, but any shop that won't let me into the work bay to watch won't get my business. A few pleasantries with the tech then let him do his work, but I'm there watching the whole time.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
I know some people prefer the waiting room with their cellphone and a plastic ficus plant, but any shop that won't let me into the work bay to watch won't get my business. A few pleasantries with the tech then let him do his work, but I'm there watching the whole time.

Liability, old school being allowed in the shop.
If the customer gets hurt, it is on the shop. I think that is why they put the viewing windows in now.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
I understand the liability issue, but pretty much every place lets me in. Don't know about Canadian Tire, but who goes to them for service anyway? I would barely trust them to install their own tires.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
I understand the liability issue, but pretty much every place lets me in. Don't know about Canadian Tire, but who goes to them for service anyway? I would barely trust them to install their own tires.
For airing up truck tires we had a cage in the shop, which we were supposed to use for every tire. Too time consuming, think I used it a dozen times in 30 years. Had drivers standing in front of tires while they were airing up ( Big No No, always stand to the side of them, just in case) One of our major accounts was getting a tire fixed, I started to air it up, did not have a good feeling about it. So I put in the cage. Customer asked me why, he said he never saw me use it before.
Told him, I have a bad feeling about this, well it Zippered. Such a loud explosion, bent the cage and scared the hell out of everyone in the shop. That is why I dislike customers over my shoulder.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Oh, nobody likes someone hovering over their shoulder while they work, which is why I stand well out of the way, usually with a minimum of one workbay spot between us. Enough to see and answer if the guy shouts a question at me. But yeah, don't breathe down someone's neck.

Had drivers standing in front of tires while they were airing up ( Big No No, always stand to the side of them, just in case)
Good advice even when airing up at the gas station.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
Oh, nobody likes someone hovering over their shoulder while they work, which is why I stand well out of the way, usually with a minimum of one workbay spot between us. Enough to see and answer if the guy shouts a question at me. But yeah, don't breathe down someone's neck.

Good advice even when airing up at the gas station. View attachment 142081

View attachment 142082
Yes it is amazing the damage of rapid air loss from a tire. Imagine if it was 425/65R22.5 Letting go at 140 psi.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
For airing up truck tires we had a cage in the shop, which we were supposed to use for every tire. Too time consuming, think I used it a dozen times in 30 years. Had drivers standing in front of tires while they were airing up ( Big No No, always stand to the side of them, just in case) One of our major accounts was getting a tire fixed, I started to air it up, did not have a good feeling about it. So I put in the cage. Customer asked me why, he said he never saw me use it before.
Told him, I have a bad feeling about this, well it Zippered. Such a loud explosion, bent the cage and scared the hell out of everyone in the shop. That is why I dislike customers over my shoulder.
Just to clarify, if no one knows what a zipper break is. When you are inflating a radial truck tire you can kind of see the sidewall flexing a bit, then just before the rapid air escape, you hear the sound of when you are undoing a zipper.
Then all hell breaks loose. I was airing up a tire with it leant against the rear fender of my service truck, had to replace rear tail light and cut out the rear of the fender weld new metal in. Bent it like a pretzel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actually sign on a boat building shop in Maine circa early 90's late 80s.

" Our insurance does not want customers in our shop. We don't like insurance companies much but we do like our customers and are proud of our work so come on in. Please be careful as to not prove the insurance guy right. "

They also had this sign in the parking lot:
"Please leave keys in car ignition, its much easier then us using the forklift to drag it out of the way of our boat yard crew"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to clarify my 2017 Touring nine speed also has a transfer case. I honestly didn’t know this but plan to change the fluid when the ATF gets changed. What fluid is recommended? 75W-90?75W-85?

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts