Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting the LX now for financial reasons. I would change the rims and add a roof rack. Anything else?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Must haves

I'll leave matters of taste to you, but for practical items:

Rear splash guards
Window tint (admittedly a big appearance impact)

Situation specific:

Small kids? Steps or boards.
Audiophile (even just a little)? Speakers (and probably receiver)

·
Registered
30 Posts
color

What color are you going to get?

I bought a white LX and added black mud guards, black roof rack, and a black nose cover. Looks great. I also added aftermarket leather. I'm thinking of getting wheels later.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: color

kdbrier said:
What color are you going to get?

I bought a white LX and added black mud guards, black roof rack, and a black nose cover. Looks great. I also added aftermarket leather. I'm thinking of getting wheels later.
after market leather? on the seats? any chance you could post pics?

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
I'm considering getting the LX now for financial reasons. I would change the rims and add a roof rack. Anything else?
Can't recall if the LX comes with keyless remote. If it doesn't, I think it's essential. Ditto wheel locks.

Rear mud guards would be worthwhile.

As mentioned by somebody else, especially since you have kids, I'd recommend running boards. Plus, they provide some protection from stones/road splatter. And, IMHO, they look cool.

I don't know if adding rims, roof rack, and keyless remote (standard on EX) prices out the LX close to the EX, but I'd sure take a close look at that.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you are willing to travel for a really good price, you can probably find an EX for about what you are paying for the LX, especially when you start adding options.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I was planning on an LX

my3kids said:
If you are willing to travel for a really good price, you can probably find an EX for about what you are paying for the LX, especially when you start adding options.
I agree with my3kids (i have 3 too :) )
I was going to go for an LX for financial reasons, but decided that it's a car I will have for 10 years, I'm going to go for things I think I'd miss whenever I'd see an EX. To add things to an LX, you'll end up probably breaking even with the cost of an EX that comes with so much. The LX isn't a "stripper" by any stretch, but the outer appearance suffers alot. If you're not too worried about looks over value, then go for the LX, but sounds like you want accessories.
I'd say with an LX, go for black to minimize that hideous unpainted side molding, and add a rack and mudguards. Wheels...yikes there's an expenditure. I guess it really depends on the options you can't handle not having. I went for the EX-L and don't regret it. I just had to rearrange my spending priorities severely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We started out with a bare bones LX and have added mudflaps, cargo tray, and all season floor mats.

In addition, we have added Yakima ski racks too. I prefer the Yakima over the factory because they're stronger, cheaper, and spare parts will be available long after the factory stuff for the Pilot is long gone. Plus, I can take them off to help with the gas mileage.

Still to be added, full window tinting, a trailer hitch, running boards and fog lights.

If you haven't noticed yet, everything except for the tinting I've listed are considered accessories too for the EX. I don't miss tje extras we would have gotten with the EX. For $3k, I think I can buy a lot more than what we would have gotten with the EX.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great Value

I was considering an LX until my wife said we needed RES for sonny boy. I think the LX is a great value. I originally planned to add the roof rack, fog lights, rear splash guards, and a stereo upgrade. I think the stock wheels look pretty good. The Pilot's drive chain at the LX price is a steal!

·
Registered
56 Posts
The RES is a $1500 accessory and will be obsolete within a year by newer cheaper technology. To get to the level where you can get the RES added to the Pilot means that you also have to get the EX which is $3000 more. So, if my math is right, you're paying $4500 to get the RES.

Why not go aftermarket? You can get a portable unit for much much less and still be able to take it indoors and use it there.

·
Registered
747 Posts
hey be fair

I don't think EX come with running boards/steps, RE, ski rack, nor cargo tray. You want any of those, you have to pay extra $$, just like owning a LX.

I have a LX, so far I have added roof rack ($240), tint (<$30, My tinting job isn't flawless, but very close to), Keyless-entry+Alarm($280) and steps($215, which isn't standard on EX neither). I plan to add a pop-up sunroof and 17" wheels in the future.

What I am missing from EX is climate control (I don't know how to use my AC!), CD/Tape/Radio (I own tons of cassettes!), two more cup holder in Central arm rest when fold down (second row needs 4 cup holders when seats 2, but we will settle for two when seats 3!) and alloy wheel ( I really like the factory look and willing to pay for overpriced OEM wheels)

If you often travel with other passenger and don't want them to wait for you open the doors for them, I suggest you pick up the keyless (just $170 without alarm). If you sometime will carry some 2x4, get the roof rack. As far as the look goes, I think my LX provide a unique look while everybody is getting the EX.

·
Registered
449 Posts
OK, you LXers, lets see some pics:)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
my3kids said:
How much does the LX cost? My local dealer is advertising an EX-L for just under $29,000. Makes me want to find out how much I owe on the CR-V... ;)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I am moving on and will be sticking to the EX. Salesguy informed me that w/ add ons it would be almost the same price as the EX ($27,950). W/ the add ons I still wouldn't be getting as much car for almost the same money as the EX costs.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
I would have to definitely say XM Radio (or Sirius if you are into it).
I really enjoy it on the longer trips..kinda like DSL or a cable modem vs. dial-up. Once you get it you'll never go back to FM on the road trips.

·
Registered
747 Posts
LX and EX price

Here in bay area you can only get MSRP. I bought mine at Los Gatos Honda. Last weekend I re-visit them and they have no pilot on lots. When I bought mine, all EX run higher than MSRP since they already have running board and other stuff upgrade. My LX was $27,300 something, and EX run over $30,000

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
XM Radio or Sirius

SteveLuman said:

I would have to definitely say XM Radio (or Sirius if you are into it).
I really enjoy it on the longer trips..kinda like DSL or a cable modem vs. dial-up. Once you get it you'll never go back to FM on the road trips.
Is that strictly music? One thing I like about local radio stations when traveling is weather and traffic reports. Of course I don't like it when I'm in the middle of no where and can't get any stations. And what is Sirius?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
Well I am moving on and will be sticking to the EX. Salesguy informed me that w/ add ons it would be almost the same price as the EX ($27,950). W/ the add ons I still wouldn't be getting as much car for almost the same money as the EX costs.
I'm really glad you decided on the EX, Alexandra. I was pretty sure you were getting close to the EX base price, with your add-ons to an LX. In the long run, you'll be glad you got the EX. I mean, as an example, I didn't HAVE to have the automatic climate control that comes with the EX. But, this little luxury is something I've enjoyed most every day....I know the temperature I like, and I keep it there!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts