Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's the situation...I'm looking for opinions...

I took my Pilot in for its first oil change yesterday (4500 miles...the oil was looking a little low and a little dark to me, so I freaked out and decided to opt for somewhere between "severe" and average).

Anyway, when I picked up the car, I noticed that the bill said "5W30" oil was used. I asked the service rep why 5W30, saying I thought Honda recommended 5W20, and he said, sort of like I was nuts, that, "No, Honda recommends 5W30."

Well, I wasn't sure so I sort of nodded and left. Well, when I got home, I see that the manual definitely says 5W20 and the car itself has 5W20 printed on the gas cap.

I called back today, got a different guy and asked him why the difference. He said their dealership puts 5W30 in all the cars, and it's bought in bulk and pumped in or something. If I want 5W20 next time, he suggested, just mention it and they can put that in instead.
Told me it really didn't make much difference, tho.

So, does it? Basically, I'm annoyed because the first guy wasn't honest and straightforward with me when I asked for an explanation. Also, that they don't follow the Honda manuals specifications. And I'm also wondering if there is any difference, basically? I see that some people on this forum are planning to use 5W30 anyway...

Also, I told the second guy today that my engine seems to be idling a bit roughly since the oil change, and asked if there could be any correlation between the oil and the idling. He said he couldn't see how that would affect it at all.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks for any advice on how to handle this,

Diane

·
Registered
152 Posts
Diane,

This is a case where Honda does not practice what they preach. It does clearly state in the manual and on the oil filler cap that 5W20 is the recommended weight. It is also clear that these service people don't know **** about what is or is not good for your car.

As of now, I am planning on using Mobil1 5W30 oil in my Pilot. I might end up waiting till 7500 miles before my first oil change however.

But, if you want 5W20, I would have them re-do the oil change at no expense. I HATE when the dealers try to mess with people by making-up a whole bunch of BS so people will just leave them alone. Good luck!!!

BTW, there should be no correlation b/t your oil change and idling.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would doubt that a rough idle is due to the viscosity of the oil. the 5w-20 is a little thinner than the 5w-30, but the difference shouldn't be enough to make the engine run rougher.

as far as the difference, the 5w-20 is probably designed to increase gas mileage a speck or two, since it will provide somewhat less resistance for the pistons.

Im thinking about just buying a bunch of those special Honda oil plug washers and going to the quicky lube (which is reliable) and having them put i what I want, mobil 1.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dano said:
I would doubt that a rough idle is due to the viscosity of the oil. the 5w-20 is a little thinner than the 5w-30, but the difference shouldn't be enough to make the engine run rougher.

as far as the difference, the 5w-20 is probably designed to increase gas mileage a speck or two, since it will provide somewhat less resistance for the pistons.

Im thinking about just buying a bunch of those special Honda oil plug washers and going to the quicky lube (which is reliable) and having them put i what I want
Or, you could just do it yourself and know it was done right...

·
Registered
481 Posts
getting rid of oil in NJ is a pain in the. . .plus, who has the time?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The Dealer is not "Honda"

Speak to the service manger.
Then find a new dealer.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Any decent dealership should offer one of two things along with a great big apology. 1. To redo the oil change now or 2. To take care of you next oil and filter at no cost to you. They botched it and did not follow the book. If I want someone to jack up my oil I can go to any garage for half the price.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Well ... since the auto techs at the dealers are considered the experts you can't blame them if they sincerely believed that that was the better oil to put in. But, as the consumer who just dumped $30 + K, we're gonna do what Honda tells us through the vehicles manual ... the difference in oil weight between 20 and 30 should have no damaging effect on the engine ... but if it is a concern .... peace of mind is always better than insanity ... take it back and have them flush the oil and redo it ... or buy the oil you want, take it to a quick lube place and have them put it in for you ... As for me, I'm a change my own oil type ... My belief is nothing good can ever come of my car sitting in a dealership car lot or of someone else touching my car ... It falls to that old addage ... If you want something done right ... do it yourself ... But anyway back to the subject at hand ... its your car ... your time ... your money ... so you have to do whatever brings you peace of mind and whatever your conscience leads you to do ...

PrG

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
5w20 vs. 5w30

Not sure about the Pilot, but Honda (not the dealer) said that 5W30 was an acceptable substitute for 5W20 for the mu CR-V.
So I doubt you need to worry about the oil this change.
Just tell them what you want next time. or find a better dealer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to follow up on my original post -- and share this story of Honda service...

I called back today and asked for the service manager. Told him I was told two stories: 1) That Honda recommended 5W30 oil for the Pilot, and, alternatively, 2) that 5W30 is put in all the dealership's cars, and that if I want 5W20, I can request it.

His response: that both the other guys (his service reps) were obviously ignorant of the truth. Their dealership buys BOTH 5W20and 5W30 in bulk, and each service bay has access to both types of oil. When the bill is written up, apparently the parts department just doesn't make a distinction between the two types on the bill and simply puts 5W30.

When I expressed amazement that this was the THIRD and completely different explanation of their oil-changing techniques, he said he was sorry I'd been misinformed but his story was the TRUE one.

He said he was positive the service tech would have used 5W20 on my car, but I could bring it back and have the oil redone if I wanted. Said he would "make sure the guys are all away of the two types of oil we have."

I don't really care about the oil weight at all, but I do care about what this says about this service department. Is it just me, or does this give one pause about this dealership's service? It's reportedly the best Honda service in the area, winner of Honda Presidential Awards or some-such, but, gee, what a poor way to handle a customer's questions.

And then there's the scrunch issue. ... check out the service manager's answer to that on the Scrunch Hope thread.

·
Registered
919 Posts
A couple of things:

5w20 is being recommended in order to meet C.A.F.E. requirements for fleet efficiencies. Ford is doing it as well. The efficiency gains are very small (tenths of mpg). 5w20 is a bit lighter and therefore does not protect quite as well as 5w30. Again, the differences in protection are very small. Note that most Honda and Ford vehicles used the same engines last year as they did this year, but the oil recommendation changed from 5w30 to 5w20. That should put your mind at ease right there. I prefer the protection of Mobil-1 synthetic. They don't make a 5w20 so I'll be using a 5w30 without any worries. Even when they do put out a 5w20, I'll probably continue to use the 5w30 because that is what I stock my garage with for my wife's Sienna. Also, if given the choice between marginal gain in efficiency vs marginal gain in protection, I'll take the marginal gain in protection every time.

As for the dealer situation, consider this. The 5w20/5w30 issue has been a pretty trivial issue with most of the people in the business that I've talked to. It could just be that the difference is so small that they really haven't addressed it formally and don't worry about it every day. If you counter that with the typical level of concern that a new car owner (new parent) I could see where you might be alarmed by their indifference to the situation. As said before by others, do what makes you feel comfortable. If you want 5w20 in it, they should do it over for free. But know this, the 5w30 that is in your pan right now will do the job just fine!

Chris

·
Registered
797 Posts
Plugs?

Dano said:
Im thinking about just buying a bunch of those special Honda oil plug washers and going to the quicky lube...
Help, can someone explaing about the oil plug washers? What is this. Is this a special part? Does it have to be replaced with every oil change? Will my Honda dealer here in Germany who deals with a few Odysseys and his first Pilot have them in stock - standard part?

·
Registered
919 Posts
What they use is a crush washer. Basically, once you use it and tighten up the bolt, it crushes the washer to some degee in order to make a good seal. I have always known about them, but odly enough it's my first vehicle to actually use one. All of my previous vehicles used more of a nylon washer or nylon facing to the bolt. Your Honda dealer should have these in stock as other Honda models use them as well. If I were you, I would probably just pick up a handful of them at a time to reduce your chances that your dealer ran out when you really need one. Shouldn't cost you more than a few DM for a handful.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts