Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a number of mentions over on the MDX boards of the Idlestopper or IDS, which if I understand it correctly is some thing that one installs in the console and it somehow automatically turns off the auto engine start/stop every time you start the car.

Do we know yet if the Pilot has the same "Individual" drive mode that can be customized like on the MDX (and where apparently you can also set the auto engine to be off?) It's not really any different because on the MDX then you need to still select Individual every time you start the car, which is no different than just pressing the "off" button for the engine start/stop....but just curious if anyone knows. I expect this will become a topic of interest for the 2023 Pilot board as it is on the MDX board

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
330 Posts
it somehow automatically turns off the auto engine start/stop every time you start the car.
It's not a very complicated device. Effectively what it does is automatically send the signal of the auto idle stop off button being pressed when the car is turned on. So instead of you having to manually press the button, it effectively presses it for you at every startup.

This is also why it is able to allow you to still turn it on if you so choose simply by pressing the button again.

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't gotten my Elite yet but from watching a video it doesn't seem there is an Individual drive mode on these cars like there is on the MDX. So pressing the button to turn it off may be the only way. I will have to see how intrusive the system is because I've never owned one but in rental cars I hate that engine restart at every stoplight

· Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,384 Posts
I haven't gotten my Elite yet but from watching a video it doesn't seem there is an Individual drive mode on these cars like there is on the MDX. So pressing the button to turn it off may be the only way. I will have to see how intrusive the system is because I've never owned one but in rental cars I hate that engine restart at every stoplight
How intrusive can the system be? You have to push a button to select any and all gears. The button is right there on the gear select console, push IAS button either before or after you select the gear you need.

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How intrusive can the system be? You have to push a button to select any and all gears. The button is right there on the gear select console, push IAS button either before or after you select the gear you need.
No I meant how annoying it is when the thing is actually shutting down at stoplights and restarting all the time. Some of them are hardly noticeable while others have much more of a shudder and jerk every time they start up. Have also read about the cars not restarting or stalling out at stoplights etc. On all of them I have fear that the starters are going to need replacement prematurely but I suppose at this point maybe the starters are being spec-ed appropriately. I wasn't saying that it was intrusive to press a button when entering the car to turn it off for that drive, which is also why I very likely wouldn't bother buying and installing an electrical unit like an idlestopper

· Administrator
6,384 Posts
No I meant how annoying it is when the thing is actually shutting down at stoplights and restarting all the time. Some of them are hardly noticeable while others have much more of a shudder and jerk every time they start up. Have also read about the cars not restarting or stalling out at stoplights etc. On all of them I have fear that the starters are going to need replacement prematurely but I suppose at this point maybe the starters are being spec-ed appropriately. I wasn't saying that it was intrusive to press a button when entering the car to turn it off for that drive, which is also why I very likely wouldn't bother buying and installing an electrical unit like an idlestopper
The starters are designed for the task as are the engines. They are specially designed starters that are built to provide 250,000 to 300,000 start cycles or around 75 to 82 starts per day every day for 10 years.

As for the IAS, I don't bother with it as I don't have that many stop to make nor are they long ones. Yes research has shown that using the AIS will improve fuel economy, and yes some people have had issues with the vehicle not wanting to restart, a situation that is being looked into, however people also don't adjust to the times and the new technology which I am sure will be found to be part of the problem. AGM batteries do need maintaining, but not in the traditional sense that flood acid batteries do. AGM batteries are sensitive to over charging as well as depletion to 50% SOC. AGM batteries are charged slower that traditional flood acid batteries meaning that the battery can be depleted to a point the vehicle will not restart if the AIS is engaged too many times in a short time. It also means that a lot of little short trips will leave the battery depleted as it does not have enough time to charge to a full state of charge.

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The starters are designed for the task as are the engines. They are specially designed starters that are built to provide 250,000 to 300,000 start cycles or around 75 to 82 starts per day every day for 10 years.

As for the IAS, I don't bother with it as I don't have that many stop to make nor are they long ones. Yes research has shown that using the AIS will improve fuel economy, and yes some people have had issues with the vehicle not wanting to restart, a situation that is being looked into, however people also don't adjust to the times and the new technology which I am sure will be found to be part of the problem. AGM batteries do need maintaining, but not in the traditional sense that flood acid batteries do. AGM batteries are sensitive to over charging as well as depletion to 50% SOC. AGM batteries are charged slower that traditional flood acid batteries meaning that the battery can be depleted to a point the vehicle will not restart if the AIS is engaged too many times in a short time. It also means that a lot of little short trips will leave the battery depleted as it does not have enough time to charge to a full state of charge.
Your last point is a good one. I've always worried about that with our vehicles that may make short 10-15 min trips around town. Feel like over time there are periods where the start cycles outweigh the drive times and so the battery just works its way down

· Administrator
6,384 Posts
Your last point is a good one. I've always worried about that with our vehicles that may make short 10-15 min trips around town. Feel like over time there are periods where the start cycles outweigh the drive times and so the battery just works its way down
They can and do. Honda and many manufacturers use a duel mode charging system. For Honda that means that the system charges the battery to about 85% and then trickle charges it up to its max SOC. If you are driving a bunch of short trips then the system may not be able to get the battery up to the 85% level before the vehicle is shut off.

· Registered
330 Posts
At the end of the day AIS likely does not have a super huge MPG benefit for the CAFE ratings, otherwise Honda would not give you a button to turn it off, similar to what they've done with VCM. Having a button to turn it off nullifies the CAFE benefit. I'd wager it's more to stay on par with the competitors who do have AIS in their vehicles.

· Administrator
6,384 Posts
Edmonds testing shows an average of 9.5% fuel saving with the use of an Auto Idol Stop systems. Road and Track states that it is over an 8% savings. Varta, a well know battery manufacturers testing has shown as much as a 15% fuel savings.

I know of no manufacturer that doesn't have a system to temporarily turn off the system. Otherwise to your way of thinking Honda wouldn't provide a way to turn off Econ mode either.

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At the end of the day AIS likely does not have a super huge MPG benefit for the CAFE ratings, otherwise Honda would not give you a button to turn it off, similar to what they've done with VCM. Having a button to turn it off nullifies the CAFE benefit. I'd wager it's more to stay on par with the competitors who do have AIS in their vehicles.
Edmonds testing shows an average of 9.5% fuel saving with the use of an Auto Idol Stop systems. Road and Track states that it is over an 8% savings. Varta, a well know battery manufacturers testing has shown as much as a 15% fuel savings.

I know of no manufacturer that doesn't have a system to temporarily turn off the system. Otherwise to your way of thinking Honda wouldn't provide a way to turn off Econ mode either.
Apparently the savings are meaningful. And yes they do want to give the option to turn it off but they are never allowed to have it be a setting that is permanently off because then it would not count for the CAFE certification from my understanding

· Registered
330 Posts
Apparently the savings are meaningful. And yes they do want to give the option to turn it off but they are never allowed to have it be a setting that is permanently off because then it would not count for the CAFE certification from my understanding
If this was the case why would they not include one for VCM as well?

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If this was the case why would they not include one for VCM as well?
Not sure, but VCM is something that is so "hidden" at this point that maybe they just see it as an integral part of the engine. They already have ECO buttons I guess. The shutting off every time you come to a stop sign is noticeable and people could get pissed at this, but I take your point and I'm not sure. Maybe the US Govt rules have been more flexible to allow that feature to be shut off as long as the user must select it every time. The case could certainly be made that it could be a safety issue and the driver may think that having their car shut off every damn 2 minutes may pose danger, for example with a battery that is acting up, or in an unsafe area, or whatever, while having VCM activate silently in the background doesn't really pose a safety issue that I can see.

· Registered
53 Posts
I've seen a number of mentions over on the MDX boards of the Idlestopper or IDS, which if I understand it correctly is some thing that one installs in the console and it somehow automatically turns off the auto engine start/stop every time you start the car.

Do we know yet if the Pilot has the same "Individual" drive mode that can be customized like on the MDX (and where apparently you can also set the auto engine to be off?) It's not really any different because on the MDX then you need to still select Individual every time you start the car, which is no different than just pressing the "off" button for the engine start/stop....but just curious if anyone knows. I expect this will become a topic of interest for the 2023 Pilot board as it is on the MDX board
I started the thread on MDX board 😊😊. IDS currently supports only the new Acura TLX & MDX. IDS allows you to customize the individual drive mode and save the settings so the next time you start the vehicle those settings are retained . One of the settings is to enable or disable auto stop/start. I installed it on my new mdx and love it. Idlestopper is a different device basically disables the auto stop/ start for you. I have a ‘16 Pilot and I disabled it by hard wiring it. I don’t believe Idlestopper came out at that time.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
As I've driven more new vehicles I have forced myself to leave the auto-stop on and have found myself largely used to it. Newer and newer models are quicker and less noticeable on the restart. If I buy a newer vehicle with it, unless it is really easy and cheap to disable I will likely leave it on for my around town driving. If there is a day/situation where it is annoying me I will turn it off. I don't sit in stop and go a lot so the MPG benefits (8% or higher has to be for urban users spending a lot of time stopped) probably won't be there for me.

I'm trying to adapt to the times, as much as it may kill me at times.

· Registered
53 Posts
As I've driven more new vehicles I have forced myself to leave the auto-stop on and have found myself largely used to it. Newer and newer models are quicker and less noticeable on the restart. If I buy a newer vehicle with it, unless it is really easy and cheap to disable I will likely leave it on for my around town driving. If there is a day/situation where it is annoying me I will turn it off. I don't sit in stop and go a lot so the MPG benefits (8% or higher has to be for urban users spending a lot of time stopped) probably won't be there for me.

I'm trying to adapt to the times, as much as it may kill me at times.
Well it is good to have an open mind and willingness to adopt new technologies. I would bet that if you spent about 6 months driving the Pilot with that “feature” , it would change your mind

· Registered
292 Posts
Idlestopper may work fine for me most of the time. Where I drive in-town, I don't encounter too many traffic lights, but they tend to be long lights with turn lanes 4 ways. I couldn't imagine driving with it in areas with 4-way stops every two blocks, but I haven't tried it yet. Soon, I hope.

· Administrator
6,384 Posts
This is my Idle Stopper.

Hand Human body Gesture Thumb Nail

My momma got if for me when I was born. It's a multi tasker that can do multiple jobs at a very low cost, quickly, efficiently and easily, and it was free. One of the handiest tools I have found.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
Well it is good to have an open mind and willingness to adopt new technologies. I would bet that if you spent about 6 months driving the Pilot with that “feature” , it would change your mind
I haven't had an issue with it in our '23 Cherokee pool car or my dad's '22 Sierra. Some of the older cars I've driven with it were much more intrusive and slower. I don't live in the city so it's not engaging as frequently for me and I can turn it off if it's annoying once a month.

Reactions: Daltongang

· Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know I think you're right guys....I should at least drive the new Pilot around for a week or so when I get it without turning off auto start and make sure it is really such a big deal to me. Maybe it isnt as you said

1 - 20 of 22 Posts