Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At very beginning I didn't give much thought about the column shifter cause to me, it is just another way to get the job done. However, I start to feeling the pain that it is very easily to set into wrong gear.

On my way back to Maryland this Tuesday on the icy I-81, the shifter almost get me lost control. I was on a downhill curved slope with tracks full of ice. I noticed the speed is a bit too high and decided to slow down a little bit. I hate to use brake at this condition cause it is so unpredictable, so I chose to use engine brake. I was intended to shift to D3, however, the shifter easily slide into D2. This is a bit too much and the pilot slided and head right to the ditch. Thanks to the plowed snow wall I didn't ended up in the ditch, but the splashed snow really scared the nearby vehicle. Sorry!

Shifting back to D gear is another pain too. I ended up in Neutral first and then back to D. I don't know whether there is a block to Reverse when the car is moving forward. If there is not then this is going to be a safety issue!

·
Registered
725 Posts
ABS & EBD

You should trust your Anti-Lock Brakes and the Electronic-Brake-Distribution systems on your PILOT.

I've been in a couple of situations where the braking system worked so well, that it's built up my confidence in my PILOT.

Every situation is different, but a little faith in the braking system and the Grade Logic in the tranny could go a long way.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Did you get the shifter hang-tag with your Pilot.

Seems some dealers did not put these on the shifter (And I am sure a fewe of us ignored them if they were there).

I found the shifter works well if you practive once or twice while looking at the tag.

The two complaintes I have seen is the "hard to find D" when shifting out of Park, and the "hard to find D3" when down shifting from "D".

The deisgners seem to have had these two situatins in mind when they designed it.

If you pull the shifter all the way towards you when coming out of Park or Reverse, it will only go as far as "D", and will not accidentally find "D3".

If you do not pull the shifter out at all when down sifting from "D", it will only go as far as "D3", and will not accidentally find "2".
This also works upshifting back to "D" from "D3", "2", or "1".

It does take a bit of getting used to, and is very different than the old "strong click" at each position.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thanks N_Jay I'll start doing that.

It must be a Columbia thing ;) . I did almost the same thing but lucky for me didn't hit anything. I was on the highway (which was fine). But when I saw the exit ramp I decided to brake then down shift. Down shifting was fine but later on I up-shifted back to drive and hit Neutral. I wished the click was a bit harder. Now hearing N_Jay's explanation (since I did not have a shifter tag) it makes alot more since.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
N_Jay said:
Did you get the shifter hang-tag with your Pilot.

Seems some dealers did not put these on the shifter (And I am sure a fewe of us ignored them if they were there).

I found the shifter works well if you practive once or twice while looking at the tag.

The two complaintes I have seen is the "hard to find D" when shifting out of Park, and the "hard to find D3" when down shifting from "D".

The deisgners seem to have had these two situatins in mind when they designed it.

If you pull the shifter all the way towards you when coming out of Park or Reverse, it will only go as far as "D", and will not accidentally find "D3".

If you do not pull the shifter out at all when down sifting from "D", it will only go as far as "D3", and will not accidentally find "2".
This also works upshifting back to "D" from "D3", "2", or "1".

It does take a bit of getting used to, and is very different than the old "strong click" at each position.
N_Jay,

After read your post I went to my pilot and check your method out. First, I did not have a hang-tag and I didn't own a column shifter car before. Thank you very much for your tips.

I found what you said is right to the point and how I wish I know this a bit earlier. :) I found that we'd better push the shifter forward and then down when goes from "D" to "D3", "D3" to "D2" etc, since we naturally have a tendency to pull when move our elbow upward. I think if Honda make the shift gear threshold a little bit higher we may not have this problem at all. However, that will require more column space and may not fit with other designs.

PILOTinginCO

After this incident I think I will trust the brake system better. I forgot to mention I did brake to avoid the ditch. The snow bank and the brake together saved the whole thing. I shouldn't drive that fast to beginning with. Never drive against mother nature and physics. :2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, PaulV7

Did we meet on road? I've seen several Sagebrush arround but I can't remember one with a bumper garnish. Mine might be the only white arround cause I never saw another one. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Kemosabe

Now I remembered that I do have the tag in my menu package. I didn't know what those arrow exactly mean so I didn't pay attention. Thanks to N_JAY and you that everything is making sense now.

No, I don't know about "the Fort". What is it or Where is it?

·
Registered
283 Posts
aerostar45: I think I have seen you around before. I know I have seen a white Pilot. If I remember correctly is was up at the Long Gate Shopping Center.

kemosabe: I work in Jessup down Rt.1

I think "the fort" is Fort Meade (just a guess?) , My dad worked there years ago before he retired.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PaulV7: I work in Gateway drive. We must pass each other a couple of times on 175. :)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Thanks! Kemosabe

aerostar45 said:
Now I remembered that I do have the tag in my menu package. I didn't know what those arrow exactly mean so I didn't pay attention. Thanks to N_JAY and you that everything is making sense now.

No, I don't know about "the Fort". What is it or Where is it?
No problem on the picture... in previous threads, some members didn't receive that card (the prep guy probably tossed it in the trash).

"the Fort" is Fort Meade... along MD Route 32 at the intersection of the BW Parkway. I just thought that you two Columbians (hmmm... that doesn't quite sound right, does it?) may work out that way, that's all... :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
haha the Marylanders have taken over this thread

aerostar45, I climb at Earth Treks all the time down Gateway Drive. Also I pass that way every day on my way home.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Way back when

Used to be a Columbian.
OK, realy Ellicott City, Jan 83 to July 86.

Of couse the Honda back then was a '83 Civic 4dr.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Re: haha the Marylanders have taken over this thread

PaulV7 said:
aerostar45, I climb at Earth Treks all the time down Gateway Drive. Also I pass that way every day on my way home.
Dang, PaulV7, after reading your posts among the "Marylander posts," I've concluded that the Sagebrush Pilot (first one I've ever seen "in the wild") I spotted at a shopping center in Frederick last week probably wasn't you, since you range more toward Columbia.

Kemosabe, I'm still waiting to see my first "Sandstone" out and about. Ditto Taffeta White, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for you, too, aerostar45. (Though I tend to think that, like PaulV7, your range is more toward the general Central MD area east of my I-270 Corridor track.)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Well, I ordered my honda-pilot.org member sticker last week so hopefully, I'll get it soon! Look for the Sandstone with the sticker! :29:

·
Registered
283 Posts
oh yea another Marylander

Nope that wasn't me Ziploc. In the summer I do go out to Fredrick to climb and hike. But I haven't been out that way in a few weeks. Even then I was on my way to West Virginia and didn't stop in Fredrick.

Can you tell I'm bored at work yet?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: oh yea another Marylander

PaulV7 said:
Nope that wasn't me Ziploc. In the summer I do go out to Fredrick to climb and hike. But I haven't been out that way in a few weeks. Even then I was on my way to West Virginia and didn't stop in Fredrick.

Can you tell I'm bored at work yet?
Same here! :2:

Ziploc: You are right that I meanly drive arround Columbia. Currently if you want to spot me on road, it is easy. If you see a white one with left fog lens broke chasing another Pilot (maybe yours), that's me. :2:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
N_jay,

Have'nt seen any Havasu Blue Pilots in the NW 'burbs...guess I have missed you ...unless you work in the big company on Kennicott St. ?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Well if you see it, you will see my wife.
We are out Wauconda way.
It is hard to miss with the list of accessories.

I drive the CR-V and work in Libertyville.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts