2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says.

?

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
348 Posts
Shouldn’t be any tricks to them. I replaced mine without any problems. It kinda sucks to bend over that far for too long, but it doesn’t make it any more complicated.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
A good footstool, and a thick blanket between your gut and the engine make the job much less of a pain.

[Had to add the Oxford comma here :)]

·
Registered
322 Posts
To add to above a couple of extensions in short to med and one being a wobble makes getting the plugs in and out easier. Out ,put in socket with one short extension, add second wobble then rachet and remove plug pulling off each extension to make it easier to get past the crap along the firewall. install is the reverse of removal. And it sucks balls if you drop any of the above while doing this. Curse words were used over and over during the process.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
As mentioned above using shorter extensions and systematically assembling/disassembling them makes getting to those rear bank plugs much easier.

I also thread the plugs into the block using fuel line to ensure they’re not cross threading before tightening them with the torque wrench. I learned that trick from the Tacoma forum.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
You could always get a top side creeper.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could always get a top side creeper.
View attachment 141324
Is that you NG? Looking good!

Thanks for all the replies! I have done everything to a motor, including rebuilding entire motors, etc. I've done enough to know that there can be some 'tricks' that seasoned members who have recently done it themselves know.

I appreciate all the 'tips' I have received on this.

I'd only add, and maybe some or most of you do-
I use this copper based anti seize on the threads before I install or re-install the plugs.
Especially in aluminum heads, etc.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
356 Posts
Is that you NG? Looking good!

Thanks for all the replies! I have done everything to a motor, including rebuilding entire motors, etc. I've done enough to know that there can be some 'tricks' that seasoned members who have recently done it themselves know.

I appreciate all the 'tips' I have received on this.

I'd only add, and maybe some or most of you do-
I use this copper based anti seize on the threads before I install or re-install the plugs.
Especially in aluminum heads, etc.
I also use copper anti-seize.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts