Loaded Strut assemblies
Sway bar links
Lower control arms w/ ball joints
Steering rack
Tires (4)
Wheel bearings
Rotors and pads
Left side motor mount

Despite all of these things I was still getting a really annoying clunk in some instances- like washboard road, bad potholes and dips pulling in/out of driveways. So- last piece of the puzzle? I installed new sway bar bushings Tuesday evening. The clunk was gone- for 24hrs. It slowly crept back up over wed and thurs and seems back to be full time now. I’m about to burn this pilot to the ground. I love it so, but it is getting under my skin. It’s become that itch I can’t get to...

Passenger side only.
No other symptoms.
What else is left?
Why would it go away with new sway bar bushings and then come back almost immediately?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Long story short; last August my 2003 pilot got a new front end consisting of:

Inner and outer tie rod ends
Loaded Strut assemblies
Sway bar links
Steering rack
Tires (4)
Wheel bearings
Rotors and pads
Left side motor mount

Despite all of these things I was still getting a really annoying clunk in some instances- like washboard road, bad potholes and dips pulling in/out of driveways. So- last piece of the puzzle? I installed new sway bar bushings Tuesday evening. The clunk was gone- for 24hrs. It slowly crept back up over wed and thurs and seems back to be full time now. I’m about to burn this pilot to the ground. I love it so, but it is getting under my skin. It’s become that itch I can’t get to...

Passenger side only.
No other symptoms.
What else is left?
Why would it go away with new sway bar bushings and then come back almost immediately?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
Not sure how a sway bar bushing replacement can quite things for a little while. If all the rubber components have been replaced and all are in good working order, I question if the strut is any good even though it's been replaced.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Long story short; last August my 2003 pilot got a new front end consisting of:

Inner and outer tie rod ends
Loaded Strut assemblies
Sway bar links
Steering rack
Tires (4)
Wheel bearings
Rotors and pads
Left side motor mount

Passenger side only.
No other symptoms.
What else is left?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
It's possible that some loaded strut assemblies may have an improperly torqued (loose) nut holding the strut bearing plate. Tough to inspect when installed but its a thought......and inspect strut spring is properly seated

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,300 Posts
Double-check those sway bar bushings. First, be sure you retightened the bolts that hold them in place correctly. But also, double-check you used the correct ones for the front, as they differ from the back ones by a fraction of the diameter and by one digit in the part number. It's easy to confuse the front with the rear ones.

Gotta say, while I love my new-to-me Pilot, this front end clunking sound going over potholes (can't avoid 'em here) and other less than level surfaces at slow to moderate speeds is starting to get on my nerves. It feels like the mighty and steadfast Honda Pilot SUV has feet of clay.

Reading the present thread, this one and several others has led me to believe that it's probably the front sway bar (i.e. stabilizer bar) bushings. Thanks to all who contributed. :29:

Then I remembered the guy who sold it to me left me some in that little trunk. I uploaded pictures I took of them below, OEM part number 52306-S3V-A00.

However, those appear to be for the rear, and I think the Inner Diameter is .76", whereas the front ones have an Inner Diameter of .91", according to the specs on Rockauto.com, which is therefore why I ended up ordering a couple of the Moog front stabilizer bar bushings there, OEM part number 51306S3VA00. These:

The front and rear bushings sure look alike and the part number is the same except for one digit. Glad I double-checked.

The vehicle handles very well, clunking notwithstanding, so I'm not sure I should switch out the inner tie rods as well. Maybe I'll wait to see if the new sway bar / stabilizer bar bushings solve it, as many here have testified they do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts