Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving on the freeway my right front tire upper layer came off. In actuality the tires was still full of hair; it seemed like a wig was glued on it and partially came off, so at the speed of 75 m/hr I was lucky to maintain CONTROL AND COME TO A STOP.
The damage however got worse the more i looked at it.
Inner fender shield ..GONE
Bumper corner reinforcement BROKEN
splash guard GONE
Sill lwr door BROKEN
Windshield hose a section GONE
and the worse........ the wire harness coming out from the top of the wheel well ripped.
I don't know if this wire harness only controls the sprayer pump or other items.
Does anybody has a picture or some info's on this wire harness? If I could find a used one I may be able to splice to the section left ( about 3 inches and 5 wire all togheter.)

·
Registered
960 Posts
While driving on the freeway my right front tire upper layer came off. In actuality the tires was still full of hair; it seemed like a wig was glued on it and partially came off, so at the speed of 75 m/hr I was lucky to maintain CONTROL AND COME TO A STOP.
The damage however got worse the more i looked at it.
Inner fender shield ..GONE
Bumper corner reinforcement BROKEN
splash guard GONE
Sill lwr door BROKEN
Windshield hose a section GONE
and the worse........ the wire harness coming out from the top of the wheel well ripped.
I don't know if this wire harness only controls the sprayer pump or other items.
Does anybody has a picture or some info's on this wire harness? If I could find a used one I may be able to splice to the section left ( about 3 inches and 5 wire all togheter.)
What year and model is your Pilot? Can you post a clear photo of what remains? Then maybe the owner of a like model could check it out. Try a local you-pull-it type junkyard, you can get the harness and other parts, and take pics of it for your repair.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
the wire harness coming out from the top of the wheel well ripped.
I don't know if this wire harness only controls the sprayer pump or other items
As mentioned post some pics. Are all vehicle functions operational? Post what is no longer working will help with the diagnosis, repair or the urgency.
It’s rare to hear about modern tires failing as described. Post the brand, age, mileage so others can avoid this tire.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Orange wire is a speed sensor. Connector is inside the engine compartment. Easy to replace. Start there so you get your anti-skid and 4wd back in action.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here is an update;

Car is a 2007 PILOT 4WD EX

Out of the 5 wire coming out of the inner fender i located 2 belonging to the turn signal on the side of the right fender. The other 3 must go to the Windshield wiper pump. ( which was basically pulled out along with the wire an connector) and probably laying somewhere on the freeway floor.
Shopping for a new pump i noticed the connector has 2 prongs while i have 3 wires. Is there an extra wire that I have to account for or........ the pump is controlled from 2 different swicth.. the one from the front windshield wiper and the one from the rear windshield wiper, so there must be a way to tell the pump which direct to push the fluid... could it be that 2 wire are bridged together for that specific reason ? I will take some picture this weekend and hopefully can make some sense. Found a 2004 Pilot at the pick your part don't know if it would also apply to the 2007...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As mentioned post some pics. Are all vehicle functions operational? Post what is no longer working will help with the diagnosis, repair or the urgency.
It’s rare to hear about modern tires failing as described. Post the brand, age, mileage so others can avoid this tire.
The tire was a Continental Contitrac. Don't know how old it was but had plenty of thread left and did not show any sign of problems. Bought from a reputable tire chain ( USED)

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EX FWD Silver
7 Posts
The other electrical item located above the inner fender is the TPMS sensor initiator, it's a little box that sits above the tire and turns on the TPMS sensors. It has three wires that are part of the side turn signal harness and may be what you're looking for. The wires for the right front initiator should be:

Grey w/ yellow stripe- signal
Red w/ black stripe - Ground
Pink - 12V power

The initator and side turn signal harness was damaged on my pilot and I found a new harness and initiator at a pick and pay yard for less than $10

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
The tire was a Continental Contitrac. Don't know how old it was but had plenty of thread left and did not show any sign of problems. Bought from a reputable tire chain ( USED)
I bought some used tires way back when I was a kid. As "reputable" as the place you get them from may be, they can still be very much hit or miss. Post pics of another tire you got with that one, showing tread, etc. clearly.

Did you buy them as a pair or all four? Or as a single?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Were they 'recapped' tires? When I was young, we bought some of those. Do they even still have those, re-treads?

Glad you're OK and it's repairable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok .

This is the pic of the wire taken from the wheel well way on top.... as you can see 2 wire have been located. and now the side turn signal works fine.
The other 3 have no clue where they are going. I would assume to the washer pump. Looking at the manual the washer pump has 2 output one to the frond windshield and one to the rear windshield. If there is only one pump then there must be 2 circuit becasue they are controlled from different switch (One for the front and one for the rear) hence I believe all 3 go to the pump..
The TPMS I assume works fine becasue I do not have the warning on the dashboard of a low pressure tire.
As far as the tire I have no clue; maybe it is old or recapped ? but never heard of a Continental recapped.... I'm attaching pictures..

The pump for the washer has been pulled , only the grommet is left on the washer bottle, so I don't know what shape it was or if it had 3 wires connectors or 2.

everything on the car works normally except the washer pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought some used tires way back when I was a kid. As "reputable" as the place you get them from may be, they can still be very much hit or miss. Post pics of another tire you got with that one, showing tread, etc. clearly.

Did you buy them as a pair or all four? Or as a single?
Bougth as a single

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Further information from the 2006/07 Manual shows this..... ( see attached PDF)
So here is my dilemma. Apparently the 07 pilot has only one pump which serves both rear and front windshield. ( see the tubing going to the rear coming from same bottle) If thisi is correct then2 wires will not make it. They have to be 3 wires one ground and two power( One from the rear switch and one from the front switch).
I'm not an electrician but I have common sense... or... I have no clue waht I'm talking about.....

Attachments

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
The circuit diagrams are on pages 22-204 through 22-206 of the service manual section I attached for you, but also have a look-see at page 22-213,

Attachments

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
And ew, that tire. Don't pick up singles who have been around the block and more. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The other electrical item located above the inner fender is the TPMS sensor initiator, it's a little box that sits above the tire and turns on the TPMS sensors. It has three wires that are part of the side turn signal harness and may be what you're looking for. The wires for the right front initiator should be:

Grey w/ yellow stripe- signal
Red w/ black stripe - Ground
Pink - 12V power

The initator and side turn signal harness was damaged on my pilot and I found a new harness and initiator at a pick and pay yard for less than $10
I think you put me on the right track. I had assumed the wiring going to the washer pump but I believe you are right about the initiator. However if that is the case should I have a low tire or flat warning ??
I don't recall that light been on when I was driving with the spare donut I like it did other times)
I will take a second look, maybe some of the wire for the s=washer pump is in a different place.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EX FWD Silver
7 Posts
I think you put me on the right track. I had assumed the wiring going to the washer pump but I believe you are right about the initiator. However if that is the case should I have a low tire or flat warning ??
I don't recall that light been on when I was driving with the spare donut I like it did other times)
I will take a second look, maybe some of the wire for the s=washer pump is in a different place.
When an initiator is disconnected, the TPMS warning light will come on, however it will only come on after 5-10 minutes of driving and it will reset every time you turn the car off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HUmmmm no TIRE PRESSURE warning light at all.... unless the ripping of the wires caused a short and burned the fuse..... Will pick one up this weekend from the junk yard.... is just plug and play or need to be specific for the car ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts