Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 Pilot... So the stealership basically told me that if I don't change the timing belt TODAY, that my engine was going to blow up. They wanted somewhere right around $1000 to change it and the water pump, etc. So feeling pressured to get it done, I went and bought the parts to do it myself. Not really having the time to do it, or somewhere warm to perform the work, I opted to pay a friend to do it. All was well until he got it back together and fired it up. Now it runs like crap. He thought he got the timing off, so tore it all apart and put it back together. Still runs like crap. So I checked the compression on all the cylinders, and one of them is getting nothing at all. After some research, I've concluded that this being an interference engine, he must not have had the marks on the sprockets lined up before taking the timing belt off, and then lined everything up to the marks (TDC) with the belt off, thus damaging the valves. :frown: I'm not really placing the blame on him, but rather trying to find a good solution.

So I guess I need some advice on what to do now, for starters. I'm leaning towards buying a used cylinder head off of ebay and putting it on myself. Which brings up some questions. Our pilot is an 06 with 4wd. Is there a good way to know which other model vehicles will have the same engine? And which model years? The head that I need is on the front, radiator side of engine. Most listed are shown as a right or a left. From what I've found, it seems that I need a left side, but I'm not at all confident in that. Am I correct, or do I need to look for the right side? Is ebay a good place to look, or are there better websites to find these kinds of parts? I live in a pretty rural area, so there aren't many junk yards nearby. Anyone here had to do this? Is it worth buying a replacement head, or worth it to try and repair the old one? Any unseen complications that may come up if I do this job myself?

I've tried googling, and not had much luck. I thought that this would be a good place to find the answers I need. Thanks, Nokt

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you 100% sure that all the timing marks are lined up correctly, then you most likely have a bent valve or valves.

If there is a good machine shop nearby, they can rebuild your cylinder head. I see you live in a rural area, but its an option.

You could do the work yourself. You will need a valve spring compressor and a new valve (or valves).

If you want to just buy one, there should be a casting number or part number on the cylinder head to make sure your order the correct one.

Another option is Odessa Cylinder head. They are on eBay. I've used them several times and always had good luck with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, you need the left (aka front) head. I would pull the head and take it to a machine shop and ask them whether it can be fixed or not. Also photograph it thoroughly to see if a used head is the same. Go to rockauto website and look for the head, it should show a parts interchange. The head is the same (i think) for the ridgeline and odessey of similar years. You should have a J35A9 engine in a 2006 Honda Pilot.
It would seem to me that if it was fired up with out being lined up correctly, that it would have made some ugly noises when running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the input, that was helpful. I ended up getting a new cylinder head off of eBay and doing a straight swap. Seems to be running fine now.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Thanks for all the input, that was helpful. I ended up getting a new cylinder head off of eBay and doing a straight swap. Seems to be running fine now.
Is your old head a toast? I was hoping you could get a few $$ for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to hear, find a new buddy next time to work on your car!
Ya, I learned a lot of valuable lessons throughout this adventure! Most notably, don't ever have a friend do my mechanic work. It's not worth the tension and problems if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is your old head a toast? I was hoping you could get a few $$ for it.
I haven't really checked it out yet, but I suspect it will be ok other than 2 valves that are obviously bent. I am going to try and replace them and resell it. If any machining is needed, I'm not sure it will be worth doing.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ya, I learned a lot of valuable lessons throughout this adventure! Most notably, don't ever have a friend do my mechanic work. It's not worth the tension and problems if something goes wrong.
I can throw in another tip helpful to improving friendship: never loan your tools and books to a friend.:wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can throw in another tip helpful to improving friendship: never loan your tools and books to a friend.:wink:
Just make a sign up in your garage that says "IF YOU WON'T ASK TO BORROW MY TOOLS I WONT ASK TO BORROW YOUR WIFE"
Very effective at delivering your message. I have one framed in my garage:laugh:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you repaired your engine successfully. To answer your original question, and just in case someone else has a similar situation, a great source for used components is Car-part.com. Their search engine will link you to compatible parts in junkyards on a nationwide database. I'm not connected with them in any way, I just find their website to be very useful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts