Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a couple definitions of pinging:

Are you talking like the really loud metallic-sorta sound that you hear from old V8 engines? (I speak from experience on this one)

Or is it more like kind of a muffled, plasticky sound that somewhat blends in with the normal engine noise?

Anyway, I fear I am hearing that now on my PILOT.....I can really hear it on acceleration from a stop up through about 60-70 mph, but cannot hear it just cruising at a certain speed.

HELP? :8:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ping and knock are symptoms of certain types of misfiring, usually under load. Knock is a heavy metallic rattling and ping is a higher sound frequency knock. Both are unusual in modern engines with computer control ignition timing that has knock sensors. Try a full tank of premium fuel and see if the sound goes away. If it does, ask your dealer to check the ignition timing. If the sound doesn't go away with premium fuel, it may be something else, or not even coming from the engine. The Pilot engine may be right on the edge between needing higher octane rather than lower octane fuel, so be sure you are getting at least the octane listed in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Pilot-1, seems like you and I are hearing the samethings. Mine is a high pitched metallic tapping/pinging sound. It's not very loud at all, but it's definitely there. And it's a different tone than from the whir of the engine that you get when you give it some gas. It sounds almost like if you were to drop say a ball bearing on a metallic surface and it starts to bounce up & down really fast after a while. But like I said, it's not very loud at all, at least not yet anyway.

My sound is most evident between 2K - 4K RPM and with moderately hard acceleration. If I ease into those RPM ranges, then I don't hear it much. But especially in lower gears, if I give it some gas, the sound comes on. I get it even if I use premium gas, but I'd venture to say that the sound gets fainter with premium than with reg.

I'm going into the dealer again on Wednesday and will try to have it looked at. I'll let you know if I convince them this time to do something about it. But I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Check the trottle cable bracket

There is a bracket for the throttle cable on the drivers side shock tower.
It must have about 1/2 inche clearance between the end and the body metal or it can buzz. It sounds just like a light engine ping.
Mine was a short but loud buzz at 3000 RPM under load, but others have had it at different times.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RipRocK said:
Pilot-1, seems like you and I are hearing the samethings. Mine is a high pitched metallic tapping/pinging sound. It's not very loud at all, but it's definitely there. And it's a different tone than from the whir of the engine that you get when you give it some gas. It sounds almost like if you were to drop say a ball bearing on a metallic surface and it starts to bounce up & down really fast after a while. But like I said, it's not very loud at all, at least not yet anyway.

My sound is most evident between 2K - 4K RPM and with moderately hard acceleration. If I ease into those RPM ranges, then I don't hear it much. But especially in lower gears, if I give it some gas, the sound comes on. I get it even if I use premium gas, but I'd venture to say that the sound gets fainter with premium than with reg.

I'm going into the dealer again on Wednesday and will try to have it looked at. I'll let you know if I convince them this time to do something about it. But I'm not holding my breath.

Heh....I think our Pilots might have been separated at birth :2:

Yeah post a reply back here what you find out, because I'll be able to take mine in in a few weeks hopefully.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A little more on the subject

Pinging is caused when the fuel mixture burns unevenly in the combustion chamber. On high compression engines and ultra lean (less fuel - more air) tuning, often the burn process is not smooth and even. Instead it is erratic and sometimes pre-ignites even before the plug fires. Modern combustion chamber design swirls the fuel mixture for more even distribution as the fuel enters through the valve(s). These engines have an EGR valve which is avalve that recirculates burned exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber. This reduces the combustion temp and ping. It also recuces certain emmissions. If this valve is not introducing the correct amount of recycled fumes, pinging will be present under even minor loads. Altitude and other things can lean out the mixture. I agree, it shouldn't be there and is not good for the engine. It is likely only the dealer will be able to test mixture settings to determine the problem. BPILOT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pinging

I have pinging as well. I have tried a higher grade gas to no avail. I really do love the car but the pinging is going to drive me crazy.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Oh, man, Pilot-1, I feel like an idiot and an ayhole It was back in February that I said I'd report back to you after my visit to my dealer about the pinging problem and here I am replying now. DOH!!! If there ever was a statute limitation on the old adage, "Better late than never", I'm really pushing it now. Sorry!!

Anyway, since I've replied to your post, on two separate occassions, I had a service technician (the same person both times) go for a ride with me in my Pilot to duplicate the sound. During the second ride, he even drove the Pilot himself and the whole time I was hearing the pinging noise, right there and then and pointing out to him that the sound is there, he told me he couldn't hear anything unusual.

I was really discouraged. And for some reason, the noise was fainter than usual both times we went for a ride. He might've been expecting one of those loud knocking/pinging noise normally associated with an old car that has carbon build up in the engine, I really don't know.

I was wondering if you've been able to get rid of your pinging noise at all and if so, what was the remedy? I'm at my wits end right now. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RipRocK said:
Oh, man, Pilot-1, I feel like an idiot and an ayhole It was back in February that I said I'd report back to you after my visit to my dealer about the pinging problem and here I am replying now. DOH!!! If there ever was a statute limitation on the old adage, "Better late than never", I'm really pushing it now. Sorry!!

Anyway, since I've replied to your post, on two separate occassions, I had a service technician (the same person both times) go for a ride with me in my Pilot to duplicate the sound. During the second ride, he even drove the Pilot himself and the whole time I was hearing the pinging noise, right there and then and pointing out to him that the sound is there, he told me he couldn't hear anything unusual.

I was really discouraged. And for some reason, the noise was fainter than usual both times we went for a ride. He might've been expecting one of those loud knocking/pinging noise normally associated with an old car that has carbon build up in the engine, I really don't know.

I was wondering if you've been able to get rid of your pinging noise at all and if so, what was the remedy? I'm at my wits end right now. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

Hey that's no problem....this topic had actually slipped my mind until now. :rolleyes: :p

Yes I still have the problem, sometimes worse than others. I
had thought about taking a tech on a ride like you did, but figured it would be worthless. I did that enough times in the Grand Prix a few years ago trying to pinpoint a tranny problem (shift solenoid).

The local dealer has a car care clinic this weekend, I will try to find out then (if they offer any ride-alongs). Like you said I think the dude was misled when you said knocking....we need to come up with a different term. Like, plasticky, icky sounding noise...? Sure that'll work...tell your tech that and see what his reaction is! :D

OK here's an idea, has anyone thought to drive a brand new Pilot and see if they can hear the same noise? If so, then we can drop the whole issue. If not, we have another issue on our hands that needs to be solved by Honda.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Pilot-1, the last part of your comment about testdriving a new Pilot is a good one! Next time I'm at the dealer for a service, I'll see if I can convince the service advisor to lemme go for a ride in their demo Pilot and see if I hear something similar. Good one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts