Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Honda pilots July 2017 with 120000 miles on it I now have 206,654 on it. Running strong I'm trying to change my transmission fluid right now 5:32 p.m. can I take all the transmission fluid out. Without taking the fill bolt off if it's that tights? And empty it's clean it off I have so little transmission fluid I don't think it's been changed since I've owned it has all highway miles on it I feel so dumb because I'm mechanically inclined and I'm doing it now how do I do this? I'm usually a Toyota Tacoma kind of guy but I love Honda pilots truly amazing vehicles

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
no its a pain the ass to open ... you can also fill the fluid down the dipstick tube if you are really stuck not able to open the bolt. ..worst come to worse i used an impact gun on one of my 06's not recommended but it works.

Welcome to the forums !

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Use Liquid Wrench penetrating oil and let it work for at least several hours.
Try to tighten the bolt slightly before you try to loosen it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just take a hose off the tranny cooler and pump out three qts at a time with the engine on. I fill back through the dipstick hole with some tube and a funnel. Zip tie the funnel to the hood prop rod. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I use the dipstick tube all these years. Buy the biggest syringe at walmart (I found them at the automative section). Remove the plunger and you have a "funnel" to fit in your transmission dipstick tube. Use a regular funnel on top of the syringe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For me the fill bolt is the easiest way to fill. Use an impact gun to get it off. You will need about 12" of extension. Set it at Medium torque. To replace it, use a new crush washer and torque it to 33 ft/lbs. It doesn't have to be tight, I don't know why some have been excessively tightened... At your next fill, you will be able to get it off easily with a ratchet.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Vote in the poll! :)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My filler bolt opened very easily with a 4' 3/4" drive cheater bar. I can probably provide the service to anyone interested for 10 bucks a pop now.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,957 Posts
Holy cow that’s a long breaker bar. The one I recently purchased from Harbor Freight is only half that length.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You nailed it - there is no reason whatsoever the bolt needs to be this tight. Same as the crankshaft pulley bolt, they are over-torquing them at the factory hoping to divert all DIY types to the dealer by way of sabotage. For crying out loud 56 ft-lb + 60 degrees on the crank pulley bolt it takes a modreate effort with the regular torque wrench. If they did not overtorque it at the plant it would not requrie so much effort to remove.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my Honda pilots July 2017 with 120000 miles on it I now have 206,654 on it. Running strong I'm trying to change my transmission fluid right now 5:32 p.m. can I take all the transmission fluid out. Without taking the fill bolt off if it's that tights? And empty it's clean it off I have so little transmission fluid I don't think it's been changed since I've owned it has all highway miles on it I feel so dumb because I'm mechanically inclined and I'm doing it now how do I do this? I'm usually a Toyota Tacoma kind of guy but I love Honda pilots truly amazing vehicles
The bolt needs to be loosed by an air ratchet or brought to the pros, I had same issue and probably will bring it in

·
Registered
3 Posts
The bolt needs to be loosed by an air ratchet or brought to the pros, I had same issue and probably will bring it in

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
On Saturday night I was under the Pilot replacing sway bar bushings and Lord, that braker bar came useful!
To set the record straight, it is 3 1/2' long, not 4' as I thought and posted earlier, but using it CAREFULLY helps break loose any bolt and nut out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts