Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Pilots, an 08 and 15 I have read many threads on checking the ATF.
Has to be Hot. Why does the fan have to come on, to say it's hot? My o8 comes on when you turn the a/c on.

Has to be after 60 seconds, but before 90 seconds?
And you have to essentially check it twice during that 60 seconds?
Does this seem like narrow parameters to anyone else, or is it just me?

And what about the fluid that's in the barrel when you check it the second time?
Has to be a solid fluid area on the dipstick? ? ?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Maybe gonna get flamed for this, but to those parameters I say, "Meh."

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
On my Pilots, an 08 and 15 I have read many threads on checking the ATF.
Has to be Hot. Why does the fan have to come on, to say it's hot? My o8 comes on when you turn the a/c on.

Has to be after 60 seconds, but before 90 seconds?
And you have to essentially check it twice during that 60 seconds?
Does this seem like narrow parameters to anyone else, or is it just me?

And what about the fluid that's in the barrel when you check it the second time?
Has to be a solid fluid area on the dipstick? ? ?
The ATF fluid expands when "hot", so the only way to get a good reading is while it is "hot". Thinking about it now, they can't really put "cold" on it, as 65*F "cold" is not the same as say 25*F. So the "fan kicking on" is a known temperature control point to ensure a precise amount of fluid is in the system.

In my observation the difference between cold (65-75*F) & hot is probably around .5qt. So if you get it to the bottom line on the dipstick while cold, you should be good to proceed with warming it up.

As for the Fans kicking on with the A/C, that is completely normal. As for minimum warm-up, they say wait for the fans (with the A/C off) because then the coolant is up to around 185-195*F, which warms up the ATF fluid. However where I live, letting it idle for 5+ minutes the fan never kicks on, so it's just easier to go for a quick drive to warm things up, or check after running an errand.

As for reading the dipstick, it's wherever on it the fluid's "film" goes up to all the way around dipstick. It's normal for it to want to collect at the bottom of the dipstick. Hope this helps (y)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Radiator efans turn on at 205F ECT, a/c off. TFT can easily be <100F if the vehicle is not moving, sitting idling. Would <100F TFT be hot enough for an accurate fluid level reading?🤷‍♂️ If driving around (a/c off) to warm the tranny fluid, it’s doubtful ECT will reach 205F so the efans will be off. A conundrum for sure.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Maybe gonna get flamed for this, but to those parameters I say, "Meh."
Just not below the first little hole (C) when cold, and not above the second little hole (B) when hot, if you want to get all technical. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
This seems like overkill. Is your fluid black or burnt? Is your oil level between the two holes when the engine is warm? No - then everything's good.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Call me crazy but this is where I like how the 9 speed has the overflow bolt you open up after it gets up to temp. Why can't someone come up with an easy way to do this that anybody can do in their garage?

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This seems like overkill. Is your fluid black or burnt? Is your oil level between the two holes when the engine is warm? No - then everything's good.

--Chris N.
Thanks Chris,

Actually, I'm pretty sure our 08 NEVER had a drain and fill- and it had 184K on it!
I've now done 2 d&f's.
I checked it today, between the 60-90 secs BS, after driving it. It was toward the upper hole/mark.
Bur when I did the first one, the fluid actually looked OK, no smell, well, other than the normal tranny fluid smell LOL.
It always worked OK, but definitely shifts better now!
I'll do a 3rd d&f soon.

I've always changed my own oil, religiously, using mostly Mobil 1 for the first 10 years.
I changed it again today, and used 'SuperTech' full syn. Seems like OK stuff too.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A tranny dipstick as long as the engine oil dipstick would make for much easier hot checks. Damn Honda bean counters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts