Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Lol, it's because I can't afford a Tesla instead I buy Hondas.
Plus I gotta have the noise of a V6.
Oh I meant that you're the target customer because you don't care about your interior as much, and Teslas don't have good interior quality lol.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
2,517 Posts
My problem is part of me wants to purchase a new Tesla but having no car payments feels too good.
Note to self: need to stop fixing my old I.C.E vehicles just because I can....
I don't want a Tesla, but I don't mind a car payment since I have house payment.
This however does interest me much more than a Tesla. Nikola Badger

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I like the Bollinger EVs better. Of course they are going to be the most expensive even though they are the most basic, WTF.

I also like the Rivian and Atlis EV trucks. The Cybertruck will be typical Tesla, JUNK.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
5,112 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I was considering the options 18 months ago the only one that came close (shopping used) was the Dodge Durango. Reasonable price used, decent powertrain, AWD, and a usable 3rd row. Pilot won out even with the price premium.

Oh, and my other car is an Odyssey!
I went a similar path, but I ended up with the Durango over the Pilot for 2 big reasons

1) towing capacity
2) dedicated rear HVAC system

·
Registered
468 Posts
I went a similar path, but I ended up with the Durango over the Pilot for 2 big reasons

1) towing capacity
Are you talking about the third row AC controls? Or is it something else?

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Pilot shares one evaporator/heater unit for both front and rear HVAC. Rear temperature is controlled by a dedicated rear blower and air mix doors to adjust the rear temperature independent from the front temperature. Some vehicles have an independent evaporator/heater core and fan dedicated for rear HVAC. While providing improved comfort in larger vehicles, the dual systems add weight, take up additional vehicle space and add complexity. Not sure about the latest generation Odyssey, but my 2005 Ody had independent rear HVAC. Biggest benefit is 3rd row comfort using AC on hot days.

·
Registered
45 Posts
^ this. Having the 2nd independent a/c system really helps cool the rear better. Which was important to us with having rear facing car seats. Bonus for ceiling vents

Unfortunately the latest gen 2018+ Odyssey did away with the dual HVAC systems and went to a single system like the Pilot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

1) towing capacity
This is an interesting option I hadn't even considered. They have some great engine options in the Durango too if I remember correctly. Hmmmm... See, this is why I started this thread, some great insights being shared. 🤙 🍺

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
This is an interesting option I hadn't even considered. They have some great engine options in the Durango too if I remember correctly. Hmmmm... See, this is why I started this thread, some great insights being shared. 🤙 🍺
I'm all for giving a Durango R/T a long look when it's time for our next purchase.

Reactions: KMC-1

·
Administrator
15,461 Posts
Interesting to see the Durango being mentioned. It may be an old platform (originally Mercedes Benz from the days they owned Chrysler), but its towing capacity with the 5.7 or even crazier 6.4 hemi is far better than anything offered by Honda, toyota, Ford etc. Heck, even with the 3.6 its far better. But only with the factory installed tow package.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Durango is a nice product but way too old school for my liking. It's a very dated chassis, in fact they were supposed to kill it years ago. It's the obvious choice if towing is a top priority however.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, the Durango chassis is old. It was shared with the second gen Mercedes GL-Class (2013-19).

But I think it’s still a great chassis, especially considering the price point vs the GL-Class

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You must be one of those tree-hugging environmentalists.
I hug trees but I also worship the automotive performance gods. So I find my balance.

You can also get the 5.7 in the Citadel, cushier ride and quieter exhaust than R/T

Bonus, both the 3.6 and 5.7 are still port fuel injection. No DI problems
I'm not much a sleeper fan, I want my cars to say "look at me".

Interesting to see the Durango being mentioned. It may be an old platform (originally Mercedes Benz from the days they owned Chrysler), but its towing capacity with the 5.7 or even crazier 6.4 hemi is far better than anything offered by Honda, toyota, Ford etc. Heck, even with the 3.6 its far better. But only with the factory installed tow package.
Durango is a nice product but way too old school for my liking. It's a very dated chassis, in fact they were supposed to kill it years ago. It's the obvious choice if towing is a top priority however.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
IDK if either of you have driven one, but after driving most of the competitors I can understand why the vehicle is still relevant. Say what you will about the platforms age, a 10 year old Mercedes platform is better than most modern platforms at blending performance, comfort, feeling like it's milled from a billet of steel, etc.

And the Durango got a pretty significant interior upgrade this year to bring the interior closer to the top of the 3 row crossover class. The Uconnect touch screen has always been one of the leaders.

Yes, the Durango chassis is old. It was shared with the second gen Mercedes GL-Class (2013-19).

But I think it’s still a great chassis, especially considering the price point vs the GL-Class
Definitely!

Reactions: KMC-1
61 - 80 of 104 Posts