Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

Registered
As a former hyundai owner....

10 year warranty is nice but only for the power train.

I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty and assumed I was covered. (Granted I got my money back after a few repairs to the A/C system).

5 years in the plastic trim on the exterior of the car deformed (window pillars).

6 years in 1st crack in the dashboard.

7 years in and the XM Shark fin ends up falling off in a car wash & now there are 4 cracks in the dashboard.

At 7 years there's only 50k miles on the car so it's not actually been very far.

Everytime I mentioned to the dealer, trim pieces are not included in the bumper to bumper warranty.
馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が

But don't kid yourself for 1 second. They cut corners in places, you'll find them eventually... if you keep the Kia or Hyundai for 3-5 years, you'll probably never notice but you will eat shit on the resale/trade in value If you bought it brand new.
I knew there was a catch to Hyundai/Kia cars somewhere. I was wondering hey they could make "high quality" interiors, have the price so low, and include a 10 year warranty. May I ask which model you had?

Registered

I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty and assumed I was covered. (Granted I got my money back after a few repairs to the A/C system).

5 years in the plastic trim on the exterior of the car deformed (window pillars).

7 years in and the XM Shark fin ends up falling off in a car wash & now there are 4 cracks in the dashboard.

At 7 years there's only 50k miles on the car so it's not actually been very far.

Everytime I mentioned to the dealer, trim pieces are not included in the bumper to bumper warranty.
馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が

But don't kid yourself for 1 second. They cut corners in places, you'll find them eventually... if you keep the Kia or Hyundai for 3-5 years, you'll probably never notice but you will eat shit on the resale/trade in value If you bought it brand new.
I don't hear much about dashboard cracks from any manufacturer these days -- do you live in a very hot/cold climate? Edit: I just saw that you live in Florida. I bet you're not the only one down there that ends up with heat-related damage, particularly if you aren't using very good tint and a sunshade when you park, and using a good protectant on the dash.

Anyway, stuff happens to all vehicles. Five minutes on this board will play that out -- water leaks, bad injectors, crackling speakers, etc. And no 10 year powertrain warranty.

Registered

馃が馃が馃が馃が馃が

What did you have?

We have had an '08 Sonata, '11 Sonata, '17 Veloster and '09 Sante Fe in the fleet as well as close friends that have had a Forte and a couple Optimas. The '08 Sonata had an idler pulley go bad and at 160k the compressor went up. The Veloster needed new speakers due to a recall. Otherwise we have had zero issues in almost 400k combined miles. THAT'S my justification to buy another one and recommend them to people.

Truth be told, I don't really care to look at brands and decide what I like or don't like because of the badge. I look at the style, comfort (big deal for me at 6'3" over 300 lbs), technology, etc. For instance, I really don't trust turbocharged undersized engines in larger vehicles, so I steer clear. I also don't like the way CVTs feel. I know it may sound ridiculous but I really enjoy driving my Traverse and I really don't enjoy the Pilot in the same way.

Reactions: KMC-1

Registered
For instance, I really don't trust turbocharged undersized engines in larger vehicles, so I steer clear.
I have a 2.0 Turbo 4 in my XC90, drives amazingly well. Feels like it would blow the doors off my 16 Pilot despite weighing more and having less power. The difference is it's willing to dance, the Pilot insisted on fuel economy above all else and was not a good trade off.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
I have a 2.0 Turbo 4 in my XC90, drives amazingly well. Feels like it would blow the doors off my 16 Pilot despite weighing more and having less power. The difference is it's willing to dance, the Pilot insisted on fuel economy above all else and was not a good trade off.

Transmission tuning makes all the difference, right? My mom's Wrangler with the Benz 5 speed in it is on of the best vehicles to drive because it actually downshifts and keeps the RPMs in the right spot where you actually have power when you get back on the throttle.

I freely admit that the turbo 4s and turbo 6s (Ecoboost V6 for example) do a great job, even better than the NA engines in their competitive class but I worry about things like working on/maintaining a more complicated setup, reliability with the increased pressures and parts, etc.

I also believe the turbo engines forced manufacturers to come out with these gearboxes with tons of overdrives, the early Ecoboosts and the Sonata 2.0T in 2011 and other early adopters were in boost at highway speeds, killing mileage. They needed the gearing to get them out of boost to get that small engine efficiency.

Reactions: KMC-1

Registered
Trade it and get a used XC90..... You're welcome! Lol We leased a brand new one and it's got the Honda beat in every metric except maybe head to head real world highway fuel economy. Brakes do seem to be a weak point but it's covered under warranty, as is all maintenance for 3 years.

Used XC90? I thought the OP is looking for a reliable vehicle.

Registered
Used XC90? I thought the OP is looking for a reliable vehicle.
It's been a year and it's neck and neck with the Pilot, unless you want to count the tuner TSB on the Pilot.....

Registered
It's been a year and it's neck and neck with the Pilot, unless you want to count the tuner TSB on the Pilot.....

I'll take my chance on a used Pilot over a used XC90 any days of week.

Registered
For a Pilot-centric forum, I find it refreshing that there are people here who acknowledge how far Hyundai/Kia has come in the past decade. The Telluride is a great SUV! If it existed back in 2015, I would've picked the Telluride over the Pilot because of looks alone (both outside and inside). In every other aspect it seems like a wash, except brand reputation. But Hyundai/Kia is well on its way to shedding its budget image for one that speaks to quality and reliability.

Registered
I knew there was a catch to Hyundai/Kia cars somewhere. I was wondering hey they could make "high quality" interiors, have the price so low, and include a 10 year warranty. May I ask which model you had?
2012 Sonata Limited

Just thought of a couple other things but these are probably pretty typical.

Rear AC vents (plastic) both broke.
The alloy rims (4) had signs of corrosion but no curb rash.

A couple good things.
Leather seating has held up extremely well.
No leak or issues with panoramic sun-roof.

Outside the fixing the AC no repairs (I live in Florida so AC is used 11+ months a year. I fully expect AC repairs on all my vehicles hence why I buy the extended warranty on any car I plan to keep 5-6+ years.)

Registered
I don't hear much about dashboard cracks from any manufacturer these days -- do you live in a very hot/cold climate? Edit: I just saw that you live in Florida. I bet you're not the only one down there that ends up with heat-related damage, particularly if you aren't using very good tint and a sunshade when you park, and using a good protectant on the dash.

Anyway, stuff happens to all vehicles. Five minutes on this board will play that out -- water leaks, bad injectors, crackling speakers, etc. And no 10 year powertrain warranty.
It lived in Fort Lauderdale from 2012-2017.... then Orlando to present.

I probably should have ceramic tinted the windshield. I've been meaning to do that to the Pilot.

Registered
What did you have?

We have had an '08 Sonata, '11 Sonata, '17 Veloster and '09 Sante Fe in the fleet as well as close friends that have had a Forte and a couple Optimas. The '08 Sonata had an idler pulley go bad and at 160k the compressor went up. The Veloster needed new speakers due to a recall. Otherwise we have had zero issues in almost 400k combined miles. THAT'S my justification to buy another one and recommend them to people.
'12 Sonata Limited
When I first got the Sonata I loved it. Got a great deal on it being CPO and got lucky that it had sat on the lot for 90+ days and they told the internet manager to move it. They dropped the price online by 4k from what they had it listed, I saw it the morning the price changed and showed up at 10am to deal. Got another $500 off and 0.9% financing.

My problem is my attention to detail and OCD (Dad mode gotta fix everything) makes trim issues annoying.

My family has owned 6 hyundai's and the trim has been an issue however we do live in Florida and my parents don't care. They see vehicles as appliances and could care less, they beat the crap out of them.

If I go back to actually commuting to work I'd seriously consider delegating the Pilot to weekends only.

Registered
2012 Sonata Limited

Just thought of a couple other things but these are probably pretty typical.

Rear AC vents (plastic) both broke.
The alloy rims (4) had signs of corrosion but no curb rash.

A couple good things.
Leather seating has held up extremely well.
No leak or issues with panoramic sun-roof.

Outside the fixing the AC no repairs (I live in Florida so AC is used 11+ months a year. I fully expect AC repairs on all my vehicles hence why I buy the extended warranty on any car I plan to keep 5-6+ years.)
I have a 2013 Ford Edge along with the Pilot, and I haven't experienced any of those problems. I had low expectations at first, but it's actually holding up pretty well! Especially for a Ford. The most major repair I had to do on my Ford was the brake booster twice, but besides that it's been small electrical things like one ambient light LED and the backup camera. I live in Texas so it's not like the temperature is any better. My rims are just fine, no broken interior trim, good looking leather, no leaks, and most importantly... no cracks in the dashboard. I'm only comparing the Ford to your car because it's close to the time you purchased your car. Plus it's not like Ford makes high quality cars.

Registered
'12 Sonata Limited
When I first got the Sonata I loved it. Got a great deal on it being CPO and got lucky that it had sat on the lot for 90+ days and they told the internet manager to move it. They dropped the price online by 4k from what they had it listed, I saw it the morning the price changed and showed up at 10am to deal. Got another $500 off and 0.9% financing.

My problem is my attention to detail and OCD (Dad mode gotta fix everything) makes trim issues annoying.

My family has owned 6 hyundai's and the trim has been an issue however we do live in Florida and my parents don't care. They see vehicles as appliances and could care less, they beat the crap out of them.

If I go back to actually commuting to work I'd seriously consider delegating the Pilot to weekends only.
Interesting, my MILs Sonata has not had any of these issues and she's owned it since day one. Hers is the base model GLS with the alloy rim/power seat option so maybe it had to do with the higher level trim? Honestly, she trashes vehicles and I've always been impressed how nice it looks and how tight everything is when it's all cleaned up. But we are in MD, we do get 95-105 days for a month or so but we also get 0-10 for a couple months as well.

I should add, our '08 Sonata developed a dash crack a couple years ago but at 130k miles it just didn't bother me as some big testament to a lack of quality since everything else has held up so well.

Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
I can deal with interior stuff. It's mechanical that I care about. Engine and transmission must be able to handle stop and go traffic and quick acceleration, etc.

I will say, the '96 Accord and my 2008 Pilot both had/have really well built interiors. Nothing is cracked or broken. The headliner on my Pilot is starting to sag in some places, but not bad. Honda does built good simple interiors.

Administrator
Every manufacturer builds good cars but all are capable of putting together one that is an unreliable PIA. Its only the latter you hear about on Forums.
The market is constantly changing, technology as well. Problems always take a year or two to diagnose, prove that the fix works and distribute it. The 9 speed was one of those. For GM their 3.6 had a reputation of destroying timing chains until they increased oil flow. Hyundai and Kia (sister companies) have had more than their share of engine issues. Toyota bought back many Tacomas due to rust and crushed them. Nissan..too many to list. Ford massive transmission issues with the Focus and Escape.

Regardless, the odds are in the consumer's favor that they will get a car that is pretty much problem free. A far cry from just two or three decades ago.

Registered
I can deal with interior stuff. It's mechanical that I care about. Engine and transmission must be able to handle stop and go traffic and quick acceleration, etc.

I will say, the '96 Accord and my 2008 Pilot both had/have really well built interiors. Nothing is cracked or broken. The headliner on my Pilot is starting to sag in some places, but not bad. Honda does built good simple interiors.
I think you're the target customer for Tesla lol.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts