Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
But honestly, I don't see much out there that I like compared to the Pilot. I keep looking because my 2016 has been a very expensive car to own these last 10 months or so, and I can't help but feel like I may be better off getting rid of it. However, as I keep looking at options, I see the Subaru Ascent has a LOT of quality and what look like design flaws and the 3rd row is frankly too small. I like the look and feel of the Telluride, but Kia has lost my business forever with this nonsense of charging $5k over MSRP in the middle of a pandemic, I literally won't even shop them ever again. I like the Palisade but let's face it, it is expensive. The Ford is expensive to buy-in but does hold it's resale well, so perhaps cost of ownership isn't so bad once you're in? Still that buy-in is just painful. I really don't like the look of the Highlander although I would consider owning one if I happened to find a good deal, and again the 3rd row is just too small. So as I go down the list, I just don't see a good way to replace the Pilot anytime soon. I guess I'm just musing and wondering what you guys think when you balance out the cost of ownership, purchase and the actual usability of the 3rd row, which we need for our family? 馃嵑 馃

Registered
I chose the Pilot for the exact same reasons you did. If you were to get rid of your Pilot, you could look at a newer Pilot and trade in your 16'. The 2019 refresh updated many things such as the infotainment. I think the pre-refresh infotainment system ages the car so much compared to a new Pilot. New Pilots don't have nearly as many issues as the 16' does either.

Registered
Same here, there's nothing else out there (in my opinion and for my needs) that is comparable to the Pilot.

I actually read a publication a couple days ago that mentioned the 2016 model Pilot has had quite the number of complaints. I would just suggest going with a newer model.

I have the 2018 Pilot EX-L on lease, which is up in April, and I'm most likely going to turn it in and grab the new 2021 at that time.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Note8 using Tapatalk

Registered
When I was considering the options 18 months ago the only one that came close (shopping used) was the Dodge Durango. Reasonable price used, decent powertrain, AWD, and a usable 3rd row. Pilot won out even with the price premium.

Oh, and my other car is an Odyssey!

Registered
Trade it and get a used XC90..... You're welcome! Lol We leased a brand new one and it's got the Honda beat in every metric except maybe head to head real world highway fuel economy. Brakes do seem to be a weak point but it's covered under warranty, as is all maintenance for 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
Not considering the Telluride is a big mistake.

1. Dealers determine markup, not the manufacturer.
  2. There are ways to get them for around MSRP, I have a friend who bought one two weeks ago at MSRP.
  3. Are you really going to cross off a vehicle that is good enough to be in such demand because it is in such demand? I'm having trouble following the logic here, it's not Kia's fault there is a pandemic and good for them for creating a vehicle so good that it has maintained its popularity and sales through the pandemic. Honestly, you'd be a fool not to look at one.
  4. Ford, really? Even the mainstream mags have been running reports on the abysmal build quality on the new generation, not to mention the pricing that is only competitie with semi-lux brands like Acura and Infiniti. Junk.

Registered
The Telluride and the Palisade are presently at the top of Consumer Reports' ratings, which is helping stoke the demand.

Registered
The Telluride and the Palisade are presently at the top of Consumer Reports' ratings, which is helping stoke the demand.
Could just be a conspiracy theory, but don't companies pay to be number 1 on consumer reports and JD power? If this is true, that would make me want to steer clear from those brands.

Registered
I don't think I would've purchased the Pilot if I intended to use the 3rd row on a regular basis. It's not exactly roomy back there.

I view the 3rd row as fine to use for short periods of time if absolutely necessary, but I wouldn't put my worst enemy back there on a daily basis. Like a previous poster mentioned -- it might be time for a minivan.

Registered
Could just be a conspiracy theory, but don't companies pay to be number 1 on consumer reports and JD power? If this is true, that would make me want to steer clear from those brands.
Are you suggesting that the road/track test data from CR is somehow altered based on payola?

Registered
I guess I'm just musing and wondering what you guys think when you balance out the cost of ownership, purchase and the actual usability of the 3rd row, which we need for our family? 馃嵑 馃
There's always compromises involved. For me, getting rid of one "pretty good" vehicle for another "pretty good" one doesn't make sense. You're just choosing different compromises, as your post notes.

If you're going to make a change, make it so that you get a big improvement in what's important. As Daltongang suggested, an Odyssey significantly improves your family hauler potential and keeps you in familiar Honda terrain. Maybe you'd like a Sienna even better. A used Mercedes E-320 wagon gives you a great third row for kids, and a great-driving vehicle. A 1970-ish Oldmobile Vista Cruiser is a solid bet for appreciation as a collectible if you want a new hobby.

Economically, though, since you've already sunk the cash into the Pilot, you're better off getting the return on your investment. Keep driving it until the next big bill comes, then get rid of it before you spend.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Not considering the Telluride is a big mistake.

1. Dealers determine markup, not the manufacturer.
  2. There are ways to get them for around MSRP, I have a friend who bought one two weeks ago at MSRP.
  3. Are you really going to cross off a vehicle that is good enough to be in such demand because it is in such demand? I'm having trouble following the logic here, it's not Kia's fault there is a pandemic and good for them for creating a vehicle so good that it has maintained its popularity and sales through the pandemic. Honestly, you'd be a fool not to look at one.
  4. Ford, really? Even the mainstream mags have been running reports on the abysmal build quality on the new generation, not to mention the pricing that is only competitie with semi-lux brands like Acura and Infiniti. Junk.
We just won't agree on KIA. I find it morally and socially repugnant for KIA to be adding $5k over MSRP during this pandemic. There are hundreds of millions of people globally out of work, and KIA is worried about their profit margins? I will never shop them again because I have very strong feelings about our responsibilities as citizens. Some behaviors it is incumbent on us to change as responsible citizens. So I respect your opinion on the issue, but KIA is off my list permanently.
I tend to agree with you on Ford - I am just shocked at their pricing, and what you get for the money paid. The interiors look like something made by the EZ Bake oven version of modern car manufacturing lol. I do like the 3.5 EcoBoost though - that's a pretty nice engine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think I would've purchased the Pilot if I intended to use the 3rd row on a regular basis. It's not exactly roomy back there.

I view the 3rd row as fine to use for short periods of time if absolutely necessary, but I wouldn't put my worst enemy back there on a daily basis. Like a previous poster mentioned -- it might be time for a minivan.
We put our youngest kids back there regularly and it fits them well, but when they get to be teens I am worried about having enough room - hopefully by then the older two will be off to college so we won't need to cram anyone back there for too long lol. I'd love to go with something ginormous like a Suburban sized behemoth, but I don't see that in the cards until Powerball stops being such a tease.... :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
There's always compromises involved. For me, getting rid of one "pretty good" vehicle for another "pretty good" one doesn't make sense. You're just choosing different compromises, as your post notes.

If you're going to make a change, make it so that you get a big improvement in what's important. As Daltongang suggested, an Odyssey significantly improves your family hauler potential and keeps you in familiar Honda terrain. Maybe you'd like a Sienna even better. A used Mercedes E-320 wagon gives you a great third row for kids, and a great-driving vehicle. A 1970-ish Oldmobile Vista Cruiser is a solid bet for appreciation as a collectible if you want a new hobby.

Economically, though, since you've already sunk the cash into the Pilot, you're better off getting the return on your investment. Keep driving it until the next big bill comes, then get rid of it before you spend.
Awesome post, thank you! I haven't even considered going with a used E-320 - that's something to consider although I'd probably end up buying in at over 100k miles, so not sure it makes sense... It's a really tough combination that Honda has come up with for the Pilot - it really is a great car for the real world for our situation, but the costs involved in owning it have definitely caught me by surprise. 馃嵑

Registered
A '98 - '02 E-320 is simpler and lower cost of entry. '07 - '09 is probably the sweet spot. A well-maintained Mercedes with 100k has years of life left in it, but having an excellent independent mechanic conveniently available is almost as important as the car you choose. The 4wd is invisible and very effective. The only real disadvantage when compared to a Pilot or minivan is the loss of ceiling height and headroom.

If you pursue it, shop for creampuffs, not bargains. No car will drain your wallet faster than a cheap Mercedes-Benz.

Registered
Can't beat a van as the ultimate family hauler, but the Pilot does hit a lot of points spot on. I feel your pain on unexpected costs, but Honda is still above average on the whole.

Biggest challenge for me is the unreliability of all the added tech on new vehicles, which only gets worse with higher trim levels. Old school reliability (engine, transmission, and power windows) was ruled by Toyota and Honda, but who rules the new world of smartphone integration, adaptive cruise control, and automated braking? I don't have a good answer.

Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
A '98 - '02 E-320 is simpler and lower cost of entry. '07 - '09 is probably the sweet spot. A well-maintained Mercedes with 100k has years of life left in it, but having an excellent independent mechanic conveniently available is almost as important as the car you choose. The 4wd is invisible and very effective. The only real disadvantage when compared to a Pilot or minivan is the loss of ceiling height and headroom.

If you pursue it, shop for creampuffs, not bargains. No car will drain your wallet faster than a cheap Mercedes-Benz.
Sorry Tacoma'03Pilot, I must respectfully disagree with one of your statements. There is one car that will drain you wallet faster than a cheap Mercedes-Benz. That is an expensive Mercedes-Benz. Parts and fluids are ridiculously expensive for the SL class.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts