Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One from Ed Morse Honda in FTL for $28,990 and another from Coral Springs Honda for $27,950. Obviously the Coral Springs one is much better but do I keep trying to go lower? Also I want to lease so aren't I supposed to argue down the price of the car and then let them know I am going to lease? This is for the EX, no leather. Tax, tag not included at they cost $450.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If you plan to lease, better disclose that up front and get all the details - cash out the door, monthly payment, residual, etc. Take the lease quotes and build an IRR model on excel to figure out the best deal.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Or go to Honda.com and "Build your Pilot" at MSRP & go from there. :4:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sage,

That is what I have been doing...I have no idea how to build an IRR model as described by sfhondapilot. My current car will be in the shop next week to fix my body damage (I need to really try to stop hitting those poles in my garage at work). As soon as it is fixed I will be off to Honda. Waiting to see what colors this guy has. Last place only had silver and dark green. Hey its the weekend...:1:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
Sage,

That is what I have been doing...I have no idea how to build an IRR model as described by sfhondapilot. My current car will be in the shop next week to fix my body damage (I need to really try to stop hitting those poles in my garage at work). As soon as it is fixed I will be off to Honda. Waiting to see what colors this guy has. Last place only had silver and dark green. Hey its the weekend...:1:
Cool..
Maybe the dealer will be helpful on the color choice & offer to trade another dealer! What color were you wanting?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
. . . . Also I want to lease so aren't I supposed to argue down the price of the car and then let them know I am going to lease? . . . . .
No to open a can of worms, but;
Why lease?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unlike some of you lucky people I can't pay for my new car with cash and really can't afford to pay $600 a month if I finance. I am not a "keep a car for 10 years" person, although I wish I was. Pretty much for what I can afford to buy outright I'm not interested in at all. I have 2 very small children and am very concerned about their safety and would prefer to drive something larger than a Civic or an Accord. My father has said the same thing as you N-Jay...OMG are you him? :2: Just kidding! You can get more car for less money on a lease, even though I am just throwing my money away. Imagine if I rented an apartment? I'd be wasting money all over the place!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kemosabe: Where do you get all these pictures? You must have the perfect library.... Can you do an "I am sick of working can't wait to go home and have a beer" picture?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Not to be too much of a "dad"!

Alexandra242628 said:
. . . . Pretty much for what I can afford to buy outright I'm not interested in at all. . . . .
With 2 small kids it might be time to be interested in a car you can afford!

Sorry

I know > > > :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
Kemosabe: Where do you get all these pictures? You must have the perfect library.... Can you do an "I am sick of working can't wait to go home and have a beer" picture?
Once again, our hidden cameras were able to secretly follow Alexandra242628 to work.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I just got two quotes...

kemosabe said:
can of worms
And here I thought we had only one Worm on this forum. :bonk:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
Sage,

If you want, I can e-mail you my IRR model. PM me with you e-mail address.

Just to give you an idea of how it works, it starts with MSRP and adds or deducts selling premiums/discounts as reported by edmunds.com.

It then compares the true purchase price with the lease terms (monthly payments, cap cost reductions, security deposit and residual) to calculate an IRR. Compare the IRR to interest rates applicable to a purchase and you have the basis for negotiating the lease terms with a dealer.

Remember, lease terms are just like car prices. Everything is negotiable.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Wow, I guess I didn't do my homework when I got mine. I paid $29,2XX. Good find you got Alexandra!(So can we call you Alex or is that rude)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Why wait until after work?

Alexandra242628 said:
...Can you do an "I am sick of working can't wait to go home and have a beer" picture?
"Even though they limit themselves to one beer at lunch, Josh and Carl still feel a bit sluggish in the afternoon."

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Alexandra, I just got out of my Honda S2000 lease after 8 months and I would recomend not leasing a car. It was hell getting out of it and I lost quite a bit of money. Buy what you can afford a month. IMO I would buy a less expensive car and pay what is in my budget. My lesson was a hard one and I wouldnt want you to have to go through it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
!

tim.s said:

"Even though they limit themselves to one beer at lunch, Josh and Carl still feel a bit sluggish in the afternoon."
Love it!! :D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Alexandra242628 said:
One from Ed Morse Honda in FTL for $28,990 and another from Coral Springs Honda for $27,950. Obviously the Coral Springs one is much better but do I keep trying to go lower? Also I want to lease so aren't I supposed to argue down the price of the car and then let them know I am going to lease? This is for the EX, no leather. Tax, tag not included at they cost $450.
Alexandra:

Here's the easiest thing. When you get the purchase price quote from the dealer, also ask them for lease quotes and have them calculate the APR using the quoted purchase price in the APR calculation. Leasing is just another form of financing and dealers are required to provide complete disclosure, which includes the APR and assumes that you exercise the option to purchase at the residual value.

I am using this negotiating strategy as I am looking for a new car to replace our 89 Maxima. Looking at a BMW 325 sedan :2:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Lease pricing

There probably aren't any discounts on Pilots so this might not help right now. But from my experiences with leasing, the price can change slightly between the "purchase price" and the "lease price". Some Factory or Dealer discounts only apply to one or the other.

If I had leased my other car instead of buying, the price would have been $1000 less ("lease loyalty cash discount"), but I would not have been eligible for 0% interest.

sfhondapilot is right about the APR disclosures, they are required for buying or leasing. I always take a list of monthly payments for each interest rate, price combination I expect to get. It helps keep things straight when the salesman is trying to shift numbers around with the "what do you want your monthly payment to be" garbage.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts