Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get through on the 888 number and got a real person, imagine that...

Anyways he said the new DVD is being compiled and will be available in November. I asked if it will have more detailed information and he said it should. He also offered to put me on the email list to be notified when it is available, so I did that.

He also asked me the year and type of Honda.

Just an FYI for EX-L Nav people

Chris

·
Registered
91 Posts
Puccetti,

Hey thanks for the info. I just bought my EX-L with Nav last Saturday. I was wondering, was I suppose to get the Navigation DVD with the purchase? Or is that dealer owned?

:confused:

·
Registered
311 Posts
swoon said:
Puccetti,

Hey thanks for the info. I just bought my EX-L with Nav last Saturday. I was wondering, was I suppose to get the Navigation DVD with the purchase? Or is that dealer owned?

:confused:
You have a dvd in your nav unit under the passenger seat. The deal is you buy a new one and pop it in.

Puccetti - I am shocked! A real person answered?? That is great. I've been trying for a while. Thanks for the update. I am very curious about the updated dvd.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Awsome news! Hope they corrected the streets around my house. They recently realigned many of them and the map thinks I am off-road quite a bit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they actually put me on the email list I will post it to tell everyone, when I get an email. If not I will start calling at the end of the month.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good work! Keep us updated puccetti. I can't wait till we get more info on the updated maps, especially for Kentucky.

·
Registered
244 Posts
MDX NAVI

Have you been following the 2003 MDX changes on its website? Looks like Navi system is $2200 option but includes rear view
camera in that price.

Pricing discussion
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=81725#post81725

Looks like system screens are much improved too. See brochure pictures that are pasted in on that site as well. Are they different than Pilot's and do annual updates include these improvements?

·
Registered
311 Posts
The MDX navi is based on a new upgraded dvd - that is my understanding anyway. It is the same one that is in the new Accord with more memory and thus more detailed maps and points of interest. I read somewhere that at least one dealership indicated an upgraded system replacement would be available for the Pilot in the future. That is an entire unit replacement - hardware and software - probably not the screen. At this point it seems to be rumor or speculation. There may be a definitive word out there but I have not seen/heard it.

What we Pilot owners are expecting on an annual basis is a new dvd - the disk itself that pops into the navi unit under the passenger seat. It should have updated maps with some fixes and expanded area coverage. The truth is, my system is fantastic now in my home area - Washington, DC region. I'm not pining away for the mdx system. I am interested in seeing Honda/Alpine keep the updates coming on the dvd - I want to see real support for their systems over time. One big question will be how they update the points of interest - the gas stations, restaurants, etc. Those will change more than roads. We'll see!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Still no new dvd

I put a call into the 888 number. Still no new dvd posted. I left a voice mail asking for the expected release date. I thought these things were going to be every year. Maybe they have more months in their year.

By the way, there is some discussion over at the mdx forum regarding the new nav system for the mdx. It sounds like they suspect that Honda/Acura has not given the 03 MDX nav as much of an update as the Accord system. I'm not sure what the deal is, but it is interesting for those who want to track whether there is an up grade route for the Pilot NAV. Also, I noticed that the adds for the 03 MDX really highlight the nav with backup camera as options. That's good news. I've got those, so I guess I don't need to buy a new MDX!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just got a voice mail. The caller said that the upgrade will be a small upgrade and will be available in Nov, Dec. By small they might mean that they are not adding many cities. What is unclear is whether they update the POIs, mistakes, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
New SS EX-L with Navi

We just picked up our new SS EX-L with Navi tonight. One fo the first things I checked out was the navigaation software versions and it says 2.061. Is that the update for this year?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: New SS EX-L with Navi

fgrogan said:
We just picked up our new SS EX-L with Navi tonight. One fo the first things I checked out was the navigaation software versions and it says 2.061. Is that the update for this year?
Looks like it is. I got my Pilot in September, and the software version is 2.05F. The database version is ADB0750. What is your d/b version?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Re: New SS EX-L with Navi

alxab said:

Looks like it is. I got my Pilot in September, and the software version is 2.05F. The database version is ADB0750. What is your d/b version?
Sorry for the delay in replying, a 6 month old and a job search will do that to you!

Here is all of the data from the Information screen:

Database Area: Continental US
Database Version: ADB0750
Software Version: Ver 2.061

So it seems from the MDX owners site that this is just a fix release and that there is some major new DVD coming out?

Additional update, I just called the Alpine customer service number from the DVD purchase screen and here is what the very nice woman siad:

New DVD coming out in mid Feb 2003. The only updates on it will be less than 2% more coverage area, specifically: Chaleston, WV..Saracuse, NY...Albany, NY..Lake Placid, NY and Flint, MI.

Also she said that even thought he Information screen says the software is 2.061 look at the version on the DVD. Sure enough, the version stamped on the DVD is 2.05B. Bizzare.

Their web site is supposed to be updated soon with new info about the new DVD. Seems like a worthless update, unless you live in those 5 cities. :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not a worthless update if they have updated the maps in the currently covered cities. Within 5 miles of me we have had the following changes...

2 main roads were relocated over 100 yards
2 new expressways
12 new neighborhoods with new streets & addresses
1 street renamed

Many businesses changed.

If they don't plan to completely update the maps and business database, the system becomes a bit useless pretty quickly. I already find the business database needs a lot of work. Some places are very hard to search for. Today, searched for Bennigans and there are 3 different ways to do it.

Bennigan's
Bennigans
Bennigan's Bar and Tavern.

Each have a bunch and you have to check all three to find the closest or the one you are looking for.

It would be nice if they would consolidate the more obvious ones like major chain stores, restaraunts and other businesses.

I would rather see the phone numbers left out and use the space for more maps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Navi DVD Out Yet?

I'm clicking on the DVD upgrade link via Honda' website (registered owners area), and it's not pulling anything up.

Anyone know if the new DVD is out yet? I checked a couple of weeks ago and it didn't look like it.

Also, is there a new thread tracking this? I searched around, but I couldn't find it....

Thanks....

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think they lied

Thanks for reviving this thread. I have not heard about a new DVD. There are a number of us that were told that we would be notified when it comes out. It was supposed to be out in October. So while we were told that it would be annually, I think it is clear that the promise was a sales-related lie. In my book the best NAV will be the one that actually updates the info on a regular basis. What good is a new and improved NAV with many many POIs when in no time at all many phone numbers and locations are out of date. I'm annoyed. If someone has gotten ahold of a new dvd, please let us know. BTW, they did put out an update to the nav software to fixed a few bugs - that did not update the POIs and maps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the info, Mkell.

Regarding the update for bug fixes...

Is this via DVD as well, or is it a dealer upgrade, yadda yadda yadda. You know what the newer version is? I've noted a bug here and there with mine (sorry; don't have my version on me right now).

I'll be optimistic and assume the newly-broken DVD upgrade link via the Honda web site means they're working to put a new form online.

My theory regarding Honda: Get as many Pilots shipped with the old software before you make the DVDs available. That way, more $100+ DVD upgrades coming in...

·
Registered
311 Posts
The DVD software upgrade is done at the dealership. They pop in a dvd and upload the new software to the dvd system. I have not had it done, but others have and I think it takes very little time. It fixes stuff like parts of the nav screen going black at times. The DVD in the Pilot is updated by Alpine, the manufacturer of the dvd system. As far as I know, they are the ones that will make the $150 (or whatever the price is finally going to be.) I think we buy it from them. I think all of us NAV owners should demand that Honda get this done on a regular basis. I am noticing more NAV owners on this site now. Maybe we can start a nagging campaign.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just picked up our Sage Brush with NAV and I haven't noticed anything bad about the unit. Is there something I should be looking for???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts