·
Registered
123 Posts
Can't see the pic... Upload again????

·
Registered
664 Posts
Do you get 23mpg and 245 HP now?

I put a K&N in my Tacoma and a Taurus I had previously. It wasn't a huge upgrade but did seem to let the car breathe a little easier. I liked them and will probably get one for my Accord now that it is out of warranty. The Pilot will follow in another 32,000 miles. (I know it means nothing but I hate playing warranty games on BS.)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I plan on getting one. I just thought they were not available yet. Looks like I have a small job this weekend. By the way can you feel a difference? Does the truck sound any louder?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Does anyone know the part number and a good internet vendor? I had one on my Thunderbird Turbo, and it worked great.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it did work!

...i was using the old stock air filter and i had to floor the throttle all the way down and wait 1-2 seconds to achieve a full thrust, now that i'm using the k&n air filter i only press the gas halfway to achieve a full thrust. it should do the job. tha part # is 33-2200, i bought it from a local car parts store it costs $60.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Might want to think twice about using a K&N. Two reasons-
Many people, myself included, are dubious about their filtering ability. I know K&N claims it is good but too many people, including me have found very expensive turbocharger damage. A turbo spinning at 100,000 rpm is very sensitive to even a minute particle hitting the blades. Over on a Ford diesel website I frequent many of us have found turbo blade pitting and even dust traces in the intake after the K&N. Cost me $500 and a days labor to replace my turbo because of that %^&$ K&N. I'm back to paper and piece of mind.

Problem 2- There have been many warranty claims denied because it is believed the oil in the K&N has damaged some of the sensors downstream of the filter. Don't know of this happenng with Honda but it has occured with other makes.

Caveat Emptor Just my humble opinion

:cool: Al

·
Registered
920 Posts
Read the sig, baby!!! K&N all the way...:1:

·
Registered
804 Posts
AlH said:
turbo blade pitting and even dust traces in the intake after the K&N.
Good info. Do you know of any links to data with similar findings? K&N filters have been around for a while, so if any competitors have issues with them, I'm sure they would have done a study.

Also, what electronics behind the filter would be affected? Air-mass sensor or O2 sensor? How much oil from the filter would it take to affect these?

·
Registered
260 Posts
http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3airfilter.html
http://www.ctracing.com/air.htm
http://www.amsoil.com/products/ts.html

Are a few links that mention K&N passing dust or oil. I've personally seen dust get by mine in my diesel pickup, I took it out and won't use it anymore, just too much of a risk for me. if anybody else wants to use them that's fine, they do flow a little better. I guess it may depend on how long you want to keep your vehicle. The Amsoil site shows even a poor paper filter traps dirt better than a K&N, of course they show THEIR foam filter as the best. Don't know if it is better but I agree, I like oiled foam better. I just object to Amsoil's weird marketing so I tend to stay away from them.

It is mostly mass air flow sensors that get damaged by the oil, particularly in Fords, I don't know if Honda uses a heated wire sensor or not, the heated wire type isn't damaged as readily, it burns off the oil if coated.

Al

·
Registered
176 Posts
Um, I think you are bit confused...

Mass air flow sensors DO use a heated wire, but it is heated to just a bit over ambient temperature. Oil will destroy them! You may be confusing the "burn off" characteristics with a heated O2 sensor. These are less prone to containination, but they are on the exhaust side where I doubt intake dust has much chance of doing damage.

There are specific procedures to ensure K&N are neither too oily or too dry for proper filtering, but I don't doubt that even with cautious use some folks, including you, have had to replace turbo's becuase of pitted blades, turbos are simply moving MUCH more air! There alternatives to the "oiled gauze' K&N that offer advantages with better filtering properties.

AlH said:
... mass air flow sensors that get damaged by the oil, particularly in Fords, I don't know if Honda uses a heated wire sensor or not, the heated wire type isn't damaged as readily, it burns off the oil if coated. ...

·
Registered
260 Posts
renov8r-
The statement about burning the oil off came directly from the first link- I may be misinformed but I'm not confused.:32:
Here it is in case you didn't actually read it-

Some users of the oil-impregnated filters, such as the K&N, have gotten a bit over-zealous when oiling the element and the excess oil coats the measurement resistor wires in the Mass Air Flow sensor. The oil acts as an insulator, causing the sensor to output a signal that indicates that there is less air entering the engine then is actually flowing thru the sensor, resulting in a dangerously lean fuel/air mix. Since the Ford (Hitachi) MAF doesn't have a high temp wire-cleaning cycle , like the Bosch hot wire meters, the oil coating never gets burned off.

Al

1 - 14 of 14 Posts