Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...the temporary spare tire's diameter is a bit smaller compared to the full size i bought and thus the full size does not really fit tight close to the ceiling. i noticed there is a slight gap between the tires sidewall and the ceiling. the temporary tire fits really tight and there's no gap at all between the sidewall and the ceiling.
...the question: for those of you who have installed a full size spare, does it bother you when you drive thinking that the tire might come loose or the cable might snap? i think that's one one of the warranty issues. that the cable is made only to hold a spare tire not a full size one.

·
Registered
494 Posts
As far as I understand the Spare can be the donut tire or a full size spare. I believe a full size spare is recomended when you buy the towing package. If that's the case then a full size spare should be covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's going to be full-sized if you get a flat so I think it should be fine. Did you follow the recommendation and attach it the proper direction? I remember the manual suggesting one way or the other. I thought it was face side down but I'd have to check the book to be sure.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Tire Diameter

The spare should be the same diameter as the other tires, whether "weight" saving or standard.
It needs to be within 4% (I think) or the 4WD will have problems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the...

...spare tire is smaller than the full size wheel. i put them side by side standing up and the difference is around 3-4 inches (no longer than 6)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was thinking of just getting a steel wheel as my full spare. Would mixing the steel wheel with the 3 alloy wheels cause problems?

·
Registered
50 Posts
jfrano said:
I was thinking of just getting a steel wheel as my full spare. Would mixing the steel wheel with the 3 alloy wheels cause problems?
Not really, but it could affect handling. As a Miata owner, I am very familiar with the fact that the Miata is sensitive to wheel weight. Changing wheel weight has a profound effect on how the car handles, and mixing wheel weights is generally not a good idea for any vehicle. But remember we are talking about a spare, right? So it won't be on there for long periods of time anyway.

My ideal scenario would be to find another alloy wheel and use that as my spare. I prefer to rotate all 5 tires anyway, for the following reasons:

- 20% longer tire life (the spare hardens and dry-rots due to age while you drive on the others, so you may as well use it)
- I know at every rotation interval that my spare is fully inflated
- Regularly exercising the spare tire cable mechanism minimizes the chance of it seizing
- Knowing that even if I get a flat my Pilot won't look funny with a tiny wheel on it

Regards,
~ Fred

·
Registered
185 Posts
Face Side Up

Manual says face side up. Ordered a full size rim through Tim so I'll be going through the exercise shortly. Mountaineer is face side up also. Actually probably not a bad thing as it works the cable mechanism twice a year or so when I check the air in the spare.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Post a pict when you get it in, so we can see how it fits.

·
Registered
81 Posts
theman wrote:
...the question: for those of you who have installed a full size spare, does it bother you when you drive thinking that the tire might come loose or the cable might snap? i think that's one one of the warranty issues. that the cable is made only to hold a spare tire not a full size one.
Forget about the current spare for a minute. If you get a flat today, you are going to mount the factory donut spare. What are you going to do with the flat? You are going to put it where the spare was -- right? Thus:

** The Pilot is designed to "hang" a full size wheel/tire under the rear.

** The "crank mechanism" is designed to handle the weight. Flat weighs about the same as a fully inflated wheel/tire [weight of air is minimal].

Soooo ...

** You don't need to worry that the full size will come loose or that the cable will snap. This ASSUMES that you do put it in correctly.

** You won't have a warranty issue -- there is no abuse.

Enjoy.

PS -- We put a full size spare in our MDX and do a 5-wheel rotation. Really feel much better having a real tire as a spare should we need it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Full Size Spare

Finally got my full size spare together. It snugged up nicely using the cable mechanism, but since it is obviously wider than the compact spare, roughly 1/4 or so of the tread width does extend below the bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
What you need;

What you need is the hitch and a Hitch Step.

·
Registered
335 Posts
How could this be a warranty issue, when the owners manual, indicates to use a full size spare for those who are towing!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks better w/ full size spare and hitch

I have the hitch and spare installed. Looks better than stock. It hides all the rear suspension bits and part of the cheesy muffler heat shield. Looks like it was meant to be there.

·
Registered
920 Posts
FS spare from The Tire Rack

Front view with Michelin CT...

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
A closer look at the steel wheel. Actually looks pretty good!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
Backside of the spare...

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
A view from behind...can't really see the FS spare-

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
hoppy said:
MG Pilot, looks good. Will the stock lug nuts fit tight on the steel rime?
I have not tried it, bit according to The Tire Rack it will. Is it worth trying out???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts