Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L (Taffeta White)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says, I have an obsession with Pilots, specifically the 06-08 body style. Great body lines, just the right amount of technology and mechanical linkages. My previous Pilot was totaled when I moved overseas and gave it to my brother to sell for me. Long story short, the insurance gave me more than what I would have sold it for. Now, several years later, I’m in the market for another one. I have my eyes on one for sale Private seller about 7hours drive away. Low mileage, well kept, great price. Can y’all help me think of a way to check this Pilot out without making that trek in the car? Commercial flights are not an option for me right now.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
So as the title says, I have an obsession with Pilots, specifically the 06-08 body style. Great body lines, just the right amount of technology and mechanical linkages.
As OCDs go, it's a heckuva lot more fun than counting tiles or turning soup can labels to face you in the pantry. :)

First thing I'd do in these days of social distancing car shopping is to get the seller to send you a verifiable picture of the VIN and run it.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Ask for scans/photos of any service records.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
I would go here and see if there is a mechanic where the vehicle is. Call the mechanic and inquire if they used vehicle inspections. Arrange to pay the mechanic and have the seller take it to the mechanic and have it checked out and get a report from the mechanic. Then you will have a good idea of what condition it really is in. Not as good as using your own trusted mechanic, but better than taking a SWAG at finding one.

When you buy a used car you're potentially buying someone else's troubles. If you haven't seen this recent thread then I would suggest you look at it. #1

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot EX-L (Taffeta White)
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would go here and see if there is a mechanic where the vehicle is. Call the mechanic and inquire if they used vehicle inspections. Arrange to pay the mechanic and have the seller take it to the mechanic and have it checked out and get a report from the mechanic. Then you will have a good idea of what condition it really is in. Not as good as using your own trusted mechanic, but better than taking a SWAG at finding one.

When you buy a used car you're potentially buying someone else's troubles. If you haven't seen this recent thread then I would suggest you look at it. #1
Whoa. That’s bad. Yeah, I will check out that website and see if they will take it to a mechanic plus do a walk around. Besides the TB change, what are some other things to keep an eye out for? My previous Pilot was a 2WD, but this one is AWD, so I don’t have much experience. The two that I have test driven felt like they handled different than my 2WD, but it has been 5 years since I drove “Ghost Rider.”

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Check out the maintenance guide for a 2005 Pilot (the last year the published a maintenance guide; 2006 and beyond Pilots follow the Maintenance Minder system). You should be able to find it on Honda's website. This will give you a pretty good idea of the maintenance which should have been performed on the Pilot you are looking at.

For 2006 and beyond there is the addition of the transfer case fluid which also needs to be changed (for 2003-2005 it shared fluid with the transmission).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts