Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just placed an order for EX-L NAV. Now I am sitting on my hands fighting the urge to call the dealer with "Has it come yet?” Well, a little too early after only three days, I guess...

The test drive revealed only one obviously negative thing in this otherwise excellent car. I am talking about the "Activity Tray" which makes the center position of the 2nd row almost unusable. It does not have enough padding. A middle passenger feels like his back is against a wooden board – not too comfy for long trips. A pretty bad design flaw, if you ask me. Very unusual for Honda. Here are two questions:

1. What does LX have in place of the g*d**mn tray? A soft fold-away armrest like Accord and Acura TL? Is the seat reasonably comfortable when it is raised and hidden?

2. Can the tray be removed without taking half of the car apart?

If this is technically possible, I will ask the dealer to "downgrade" my EX when it comes by swapping the tray with whatever Pilot LX has. I can see how kids who are really into crayons and Happy Meals might appreciate this option. My own little kid is 20 already: he will not miss it...

What do you think about it?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree with you that the 2nd row center seat is not at all comfortable. My wife tried it during our test drive and immediately commented on it. But the odd part is our 7 1/2 year old daughter prefers sitting in the middle seat and has not complained at all. Maybe its because she wants to sit next to her little baby sister in the car seat.

I wouldn't advise on having the activity tray removed, though. They might screw it up and make it even worse. Careful.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
But ...

But it has a spot to put your dipping sauces for dipping your dipping kind of stuff ... It was a great selling point ...

PrG

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah ... that's the only thing I didn't like when I saw the EX. The "brochures" made it sound like it was some sort of slick drop down tray, so when I went for my testdrive, I asked the salesman to show me this activity tray.

When he did I have to admit that I was a tad disappointed. :8:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Swapping with LX

I kind of like that idea. Does the LX have a drop down middle?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: Swapping with LX

:2: A "drop down middle" is nothing to be proud of.

looking in my mirror and then tiptoeing away very quietly....

·
Registered
236 Posts
drop down....

Yes, they do have doctors for those!

·
Registered
226 Posts
lx's center seat

LX's center seat doesn't have fold down tray. Just a seat. I think it's more comfortable than ex's. About the only thing better than the ex's, oh, and also the roofrack looks better on LX.
My kids like to seat in the middle, it's because they get a good view of the road from there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would like an aftermarket tray that can serve as an armrest also.

My 10 year old loves the tray for his games and CD player.

Has anyone actually used the dipping sauce holder for dipping sauce?

·
Registered
395 Posts
BillR said:
Does anyone have the nerve yet to let their child eat nuggets and dipping sauce in their new Pilot?
:eek:

·
Registered
226 Posts
lx roofrack

jungle jim;

Lx doesn't come with roof rack, but if you buy it, it comes with cross member that's integrated, like you bought it at the same time. EX's don't come with cross member, and if you add it, it looks like an add-on. It looks very different.

·
Registered
698 Posts
BillR said:
I would like an aftermarket tray that can serve as an armrest also.
My 15-year-old daughter (a/k/a - the Proven Authority on Everything, thankyouverymuch) has already declared the drop down tray as "stoooooooooooopid Mom." She said she would rather have a real armrest there. In a way I don't blame her. Of course, that was only during the test drive. When I pick it up, I think I'll tease her and get her that gigantic box of crayolas. I want to watch her eyes roll all over her head. :13:

(laughing) Yeah, right ...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would put crayons AND a chicken nugget happy meal with (DIPPING SAUCE).

·
Registered
698 Posts
Originally posted by BillR I would put crayons AND a chicken nugget happy meal with (DIPPING SAUCE).
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww --- you are SO EVIL.

I like that.

NOTE TO SELF: Pick up large box of crayolas and a Chicken McNugget Happy Meal when I pick up the Pilot. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
No dipping sauce tried yet, but the kids are eating in the car now (entering third month and 5,000 miles).

And, by the way, did you know that Honda thought of everything -- three little Krystal hamburger boxes fit PERFECTLY in that little compartment in the console (the one where the cupholders could fit if you wanted them right under your fold-down cellphone)....

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
You should be able to find some one that can modify the tray into an armrest.

Maybe we have a business opportuity here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is the conclusion about the hard center seat back in the second row? Has someone developed a solution for this problem? Would a seat cushion help?

Also, has anyone heard of a seat cover for the second row to protect it from the kids?

EX-L RES

1 - 18 of 18 Posts