Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

I had a HARD Time changing my oil yesterday!!

5K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  nwjon06 
#1 · (Edited)
I've done this MANY times, on our bought new 2008 Pilot.

I've previosly stripped the bolt head on my oil drain plug, and have used a magnetic replacement one for years.
I never get my torque wrench under there either.
So, my sockets were slipping, stripping on the bolt head again yesterday! Finally a hammered a 12mm socket on it and got it off!

I have a 1st over oversized drain plug for it for if/when the thread start to strip.
I tried it after draining the oil- it went in and was going to 'cut' some slightly bigger threads.
I didn't put it in, and re-used the somewhat stripped bolt head on that one and snugged it up again.

Then, I go to get the filter off. No amount of grunting, using various non slip things in hand were working!
I finally got it off by grabbing it with a my channel locks which deformed it really badly, but it DID come off!

So I tried not to put it on so tightly this time!

Just shy of 194K miles! All original - well- one TB etc. at 142K and VTEC solenoid thingy.

Usually, it's a breeze and it takes all of 5-10 minutes. NOT yesterday!
All is well though now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your lil what? :D

I'm slightly apprehending the next time I have to remove the oil filter, because the last time I put it on I thought it might be a good idea to torque it to spec with a torque wrench. I think I got the spec right, but it just gave me the impression that I had to tighten it well above what to the feel is "gudentight."

#14 ·
I've seen them. Does it release and close from the top of the vehicle?
Then I still have to get under it. Removing it is USUALLY not a problem.
I use a really nice large drip pan container too. Not a drop on the ground.
The oil filter usually makes a small mess though LOL

Reactions: Nail Grease
#15 ·
I've seen them. Does it release and close from the top of the vehicle?
Then I still have to get under it. Removing it is USUALLY not a problem.
I use a really nice large drip pan container too. Not a drop on the ground.
You have to get under the vehicle to reach the spring loaded lever, remove the safety clip and move the lever to the open position. You can get a hose for the nipple that will let the oil drain into whatever container you choose no matter how small the opening.

This is most easily accomplished by just driving the vehicle up onto a set of ramps. Plenty of room and the oil should all drain down to the drain opening. They are almost a must for someone with a skid plate under their vehicle.

#16 ·
You have to get under the vehicle to reach the spring loaded lever, remove the safety clip and move the lever to the open position. You can get a hose for the nipple that will let the oil drain into whatever container you choose no matter how small the opening.

This is most easily accomplished by just driving the vehicle up onto a set of ramps. Plenty of room and the oil should all drain down to the drain opening. They are almost a must for someone with a skid plate under their vehicle.
OK. I've been using this 15Qt sealable drain pan for years. Stores a few changes, then take it for recycling.

Notice the little sealable vent cap too. Sealable hole to drain it to, and sealable pour spout.
If you can't get the big open topped pan to catch the oil and miss, youz gotz problems.
I don't have any skid plates however. I try not to skid much LOL

Oh yeah, notice the little area to drain you filter too!

Reactions: Nail Grease
#4 ·

I've previosly stripped the bolt head on my oil drain plug, and have used a magnetic replacement one for years.
I never get my torque wrench under there either.
So, my sockets were slipping, stripping on the bolt head again yesterday! Finally a hammered a 12mm socket on it and got it off!

I have a 1st over oversized drain plug for it for if/when the thread start to strip.
I tried it after draining the oil- it went in and was going to 'cut' some slightly bigger threads.
I didn't put it in, and re-used the somewhat stripped bolt head on that one and snugged it up again.

Then, I go to get the filter off. No amount of grunting, using various non slip things in hand were working!
I finally got it off by grabbing it with a my channel locks which deformed it really badly, but it DID come off!

Just shy of 194K miles! All original - well- one TB etc. at 142K and VTEC solenoid thingy.
Well, if you have this problem... :p

Sometimes you dont know your own strength. Maybe one of those Sumitomo Fumoto oil pan valves would be better if a torque wrench isn't something you really want to break out.
I dunno what it is on the oil filter. Paranoia I guess. I hand tight, but inevitably, I always have to get the channel locks too.

Reactions: The Todd
#8 ·

Are you putting some oil on the gasket on the new filter before you install it?
Usually, the filter will have instructions about how tightly to install it, such as to rotate the filter some fraction of a full turn after the gasket first makes contact. What are the instructions for the filter you are using?

#11 ·
Yes, I always lube the threads and gasket. I just put it on EXTRA tight that time.
Instructions? We don't need no stinking instructions man!
I have no idea, possilby in Chinese and I didn't get my wife rt read it LOL

Engwish, it can b so hrd to tipe sumtimes. :LOL:

Or in my case, lots of times. I have dyslexic fingers.
Word!

Reactions: plplplpl
#12 · (Edited)
Oh, and I think I will order another plug w/ magnet online for the next one.
So I can strip it yet again of course! LOL

I never really see/feel anything on the magnet- I tested it to see if was still working. Barely yes.

** Edit- I just ordered an alloy magnetic one online- $11.63 Incl shipping. Be about 10 days. That's OK, I just changed the Oil.
And it's Blue in color, it'll match my motorcycle LOL

#20 ·
You should know by now your fans demand a link and pics :)

Yeah, I've got a "small mess" left over from when the oil was first changed in my daughter's Pilot. My garage floor retains family memories as well as our door jamb etched with the kids' growth measurements.

Engwish, it can b so hrd to tipe sumtimes. :LOL:

Or in my case, lots of times. I have dyslexic fingers.

No splashing a bunch of water up onto and in the engine, thus no hyper lock.
That's either your dyslexic fingers trying to type hydrolock, or you're going to have a hard time outrunning Imperial cruisers if your Millennium Passport is locked out from making the jump to hyperspace.

#22 ·
No sweat, you're talking to the Uncle Owen of typos here. If it weren't for the edit function on this forum, to make heads or tales of what I type you'd need a droid who understands the binary language of moisture vaporators.

#27 ·
I didn't see anyone comment on the easy to change the oil in Odysseys and Pilots. We have one of each, and I was killing myself every time I had to do the oil change. One day, I had the right front wheel off, and I noticed that the oil plug and filter were both right there within easy reach. I have not failed to remove the wheel every time I do the oil from then on. Easy as pie.

#28 ·
Might have to try that sometime. The unheated garage floor doesn't make my back happy in winter.

#29 ·
Removing tires and skid plates is for the commoners.

For the second gen Pilot, turning the wheels all the way passenger before shutting the engine off makes the filter reachable. The drain plug is beyond the lower shields, whether using a drain valve (which I am for total mess free experience) or removing the drain plug and trying to catch the splash.

I've had some vehicles where splash shields or metal skid plates (my Pathfinders) needed to be removed. Definitely annoying they couldn't have put a removable window or something rather than taking off the whole shield.

Reactions: plplplpl
#30 ·
Three oil changes ago I over-torqued my drain plug. Two oil changes ago I noticed some leakage afterwards. One oil change ago I realized my over-torqued drain plug stripped the female threads on the aluminum oil pan, and I had to install a new oil pan.

That was a pain in the ass. Probably going to put in some Fumoto drain valves to keep that from happening again.

--Chris N.

#31 ·
Did you use a torque wrench to torque it to spec?

Or did you torque to the Arnold "gutenteight" spec?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.