Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about a "scary" Halloween. It wasn't with my Pilot, though. I was driving my '99 Grand Prix this morning and I had followed for some time behind 2 slooowww semi trucks on a 2 lane road leading through Pineville, Missouri. (it's an everyday, irritating occurence on this road) Traffic clears up so I punch it and get around one of them....little did I know that I also flew by the local cops.

The bad thing is that I did not see the cops behind me. So, when traffic clears again I pass the other truck...but fortunately that was just outside the city limits. Half a mile down the road I see the cops WAY back there in my mirror, and I think OMFG!!!! I knew they had to be after me and sure enough they were. A young punk kid comes up to me and starts arrogantly rambling about how I was putting others in danger, yada yada....then he asked me "Didn't you see me back there??" I wanted SO bad to say "Do you think if I DID see you back there that I would have passed that truck!!??" DUH! :3: So the cop gives me a ticket for careless & imprudent driving! I was like 'Dude, all I did was pass a truck!' Supposedly I passed in a no-passing zone, which I was not aware of at the time :rolleyes: . And he admitted twice that he couldn't issue "multiple charges" or else he sure as hell would have srewed me up with something else his cocky little mind could think of.

I did not put anyone in 'danger'! I think he was just trying to fill his end-of-month quota (this was also at 7 a.m.)

I called the city attorney's office and spoke to his secretary and told her what had happened, even SHE sounded surprised that the cop had given me a C&I ticket!! So they bumped my fine down to "defective equipment" and fined me $165. NO record or insurance changes! How the hell they came up with "defective equipment" is beyond me, but.....

Did I get off lucky? Hell yeah!
But, did the cop over-react? Hell yeah!

So, future warning....Pineville, Missouri, is a speedtrap!

The only thing I can think of now is how many damn cars in front of me that I saw that passed those trucks BEFORE we entered Pineville and didn't get caught!

OK, I feel better now. ;)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey Pilot-1,
Our company used to do services in Missouri before I started working there. My General Manager told me to always Drive very carefully in that state. He said the Cops there are happy to make "revenue" in that state.

Needless to say. On my last road trip to Iowa, we decided to check out Basspro down in Springfield, MO. I stuck to the Speed limit throughout the whole state.... Until I hit Oklahoma....then ZOOM!!!

BassPro is the Best! :cool:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yeah ... I got a ticket from a State Trooper in Rolla, Missouri for having tinted windows ... apparently it's illegal there. I had just picked up my car, which had just traveled half way around the world, right outside of St Louis. Anyway, I payed the fine, but get this ... they sent the ticket and my check back saying sorry we do not accept checks and oh by the way now your ticket is late and you owe $60 more. So to make a long story short, I left Missouri never looking back ... I hear for unpaid tickets the state issues arrest warrants. I guess any and all future road trips will be around the State of Missouri.

PrG

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
PRG, was it aftermarket tinting?
In MA we have a limit on how dark the windshield and front side windows are. The cops carry a tint gauge.
The rear doors and back can be blacked out though.

Did you go up in the Arch?
It's pretty cool going up in the dryer tubs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
$165

A hundred and sixty five scooters for defective equipment! I think maybe if your driving a 50 year old gutter bomb without a floor and doors it would be appropriate.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Defective equipment ??? Loose nut behind the wheel ?? Just kidding. We've all been there before. Once when I was younger (25) I was out driving my Trans Am down a country road, below the limit, when I spotted those "flashing lights" coming up behind me. Knowing that I had done nothing wrong I was quite surprised when he did not pass me but pulled me over. He was a young OPP officer (Ontario Provincial Police), probably younger than me at the time, and he said he pulled me over because he said he thought that I was on a " gravel run ". He let me go because there was nothing he could write a ticket on. My fiancee ( now wife ) who was in the car with me said he was probably just bored and wanted to look at my car. Anyway the kicker is this, the following Monday I met him in the local Provincial Court Criminal Division and boy did his jaw drop. I, a Crown Prosecutor at the time, took him aside and told him that it was inappropriate to pull over a car unless you had a charge that would stick. He'll probably remember that day for the rest of his career.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I live in Missouri and certain municipalities have a reputation for writing tickets. I would guess it is not too different from other states, some cities count on tickets as a source of revenue others do not. I believe a couple of years ago a state law was passed to the effect that any city or municipality that derived more than a certain percentage ( I think 50%) of its revenue from tickets was reviewed. I believe the county or state Highway Patrol would take control if the practice was excessive. If I remember correctly this took place after one of our state senators got a ticket from one of these speed traps.

Lets face it, a cop will write you a ticket if he wants and there is little you can do about it. My 17 year old daughter recently received a ticket for stopping in an intersection. She claims she stopped 5 feet past the white line because the Stop sign was partially obscured. By the time she saw it she couldn't stop fast enough and went over the white line at the Stop sign. Our lawyer called and got it changed to a parking violation with a $120 fine. I don't know if this happens everywhere but in St. Louis there are law firms that advertise fixing traffic tickets. Moving violations are changed to lesser violations with no points but they still get the large fine and court fees.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Crown Prosecutor

Oh Oh, we better watch out on those Molson runs - eh

The question is, what the heck is a gravel run?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Not knowing what it meant I asked him the same question. At the time that was the expression the local kids used when they would go drinking, driving, and racing on the backroads. They were mostly gravel roads, hence the term. He surmised from the type of car I was driving that I must be on a gravel run.

P.S. Try Alexander Keith's pale ale. Molson's has nothing that can compare

1 - 10 of 10 Posts