Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in New Hampshire. Tonight we're having a nice little storm of Frozen mix. While driving home I got a message on my dash telling me that some of my systems won't operate because my radar is obstructed. It turns out it was covered in slush and it just did not operate. Basically none of the driver aid systems worked and my brake system said it had a problem and I couldn't set my cruise control at all. I did still have brakes but it said brake system on the dash so I'm not sure what that meant. this is the kind of weather where you want to be driving safer so it seems like this is a serious problem to me. You think Honda would come up with a way to heat that to keep it clear. when I got home I got out and cleared it but it still didn't make the message go away I had to shut the car off and start it back up in order to clear the message. This seems like a problem. Anyone else have this issue yet? I'm driving a 2019 EXL. This is my first winter with this car last year I had a 2017 and I didn't experience this at all. I realize it didn't have all the same features as this one but it still had the radar and I never got that message. Weird.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yeah, but I'm saying there should be a defroster of some kind. Seems like all the safety tech is easily defeated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Happened twice to me while driving in heavy snow on highway, the entire front of the car was covered in slush.

Even if they add some sort of heating element, I doubt the safety features would work correctly in the falling snow... I wouldn’t trust them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well yeah, but I'm saying there should be a defroster of some kind. Seems like all the safety tech is easily defeated.

Sure, for enough money almost anything can be overcome. My guess is it wasn’t worth it to engineer a solution that effects the system about 0.001% of the total time the system is in use and especially for a system that you should never fully trust anyway. When out of service you simply drive the car like the olden days. I do not know a single manufacturer who doesn’t have weather limitations for these safety systems.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Even if they did have a defrost to keep the sensor clear, the radar waves could easily be restricted by the snow, ice, rain, etc. False indications and perhaps even false braking could result I would think.

I don't think the "Normal" cruise control would be affected however, just the Adaptive Cruise which does use the radar. Then again, you really don't want to be using any cruise on icy or slick roads either.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if they did have a defrost to keep the sensor clear, the radar waves could easily be restricted by the snow, ice, rain, etc. False indications and perhaps even false braking could result I would think.

I don't think the "Normal" cruise control would be affected however, just the Adaptive Cruise which does use the radar. Then again, you really don't want to be using any cruise on icy or slick roads either.
No, I only use the normal cruise and it didn't work. I don't have a problem driving the car myself, I don't rely on the tech too much anyway, I just thought it was odd how easily it was list. The thing that bothered me the most was I had a light that just said "brake system" lit up. I got a bit nervous that I would lose brakes somehow, but they worked fine. It was the first time I saw this and just wondered if it happened to anyone else.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Normal cruise didn't work either. Normally I wouldn't use it in that weather, but I was going through a small town and I usually use cruise to keep my speed the same so I don't get pulled over. I kinda hit cruise out of habit. It wouldn't work. Well it's good to know this can happen.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Really surprised that the normal cruise didn't work when the front sensor is obstructed. Haven't had my sensor give that warning yet so didn't know that. I don't understand why the normal mechanical cruise wouldn't engage however since it doesn't use the radar for maintaining speed, distance, or braking as far as I know. Maybe because the CMBS is affected also with the sensor being blocked? I wonder if it would work if you had manually turned the CMBS off while the sensor was blocked?

Unfortunately I am sure I will be able to test it sometime this winter living here in the Lake Erie snow belt area.

·
Registered
68 Posts
you can use the normal cruise when you get that error. you just have to hold in the button or whatever for awhile, i forget the exact step. The default cruise control uses the radar and you have to defeat it to have "normal" cruise control.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really surprised that the normal cruise didn't work when the front sensor is obstructed. Haven't had my sensor give that warning yet so didn't know that. I don't understand why the normal mechanical cruise wouldn't engage however since it doesn't use the radar for maintaining speed, distance, or braking as far as I know. Maybe because the CMBS is affected also with the sensor being blocked? I wonder if it would work if you had manually turned the CMBS off while the sensor was blocked?

Unfortunately I am sure I will be able to test it sometime this winter living here in the Lake Erie snow belt area.
My guess is it just shut down all driver aid. Makes sense I guess that it's all tied in together.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had this happen as well and knocked the ice off the honda logo when I got home and this fixed the cruise issue.

an another note
* can someone PLEASE tell me how to get normal cruise control to work on a 2019 EX-L?*

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have had this happen as well and knocked the ice off the honda logo when I got home and this fixed the cruise issue.

an another note
can someone PLEASE tell me how to get normal cruise control to work on a 2019 EX-L?
Press & hold briefly the "interval" button - that's at the 3 o"clock position of the cruise buttons on the steering wheel. From my owner's manual"

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you can use the normal cruise when you get that error. you just have to hold in the button or whatever for awhile, i forget the exact step. The default cruise control uses the radar and you have to defeat it to have "normal" cruise control.
Nope. I use "Normal" all the time, never use adaptive. I don't like it. But it still didn't work. It wasn't a big deal though. Just surprised it didn't work.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
The solution to this problem, that gets reported multiple times every winter, is heat but there isn't a way to heat it without adversely effecting it's operation.
I've experienced the issue in my Honda and a Volvo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts