Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks....

Thanks for all of your advice. After a month-long agony of getting a Pilot, my wife and I finally are owners of a '03 Pilot EX SS. The road to owning one was not easy. I must have been in contact with 7-10 dealers in the Los Angeles/Ventura County area. I pretty much narrowed it down to 5 key dealerships. The other dealers were charging a mark-up of $1500 - $3000. We got ours at MSRP and without having to order.

Our dealer of choice, Vista Honda of Ventura, didn't have the vehicle, was unsuccessful in doing a dealer trade. At the time, they were locating for a Black EX or EX-Lfor us. No luck. They also mentioned that if we wanted Silver, we are pressing our luck even more. Instead, I chose to look elsewhere. So my contacts at Miller Honda in LA said the following:
a. Yes they have the vehicle (Black EX-L no RES/NAV)
b. Come in and they will sell at MSRP
c. The only added option is a mud guard (no problem for me)

Yesterday, took the wife and baby, drove a good 1.5 hours to LA, long story short, the sales guy screwed with me. He told me that the dealership would only go for the MSRP if I was to include all the other accessories. Basically, I was not pissed at the dealership, mainly with this sales man. He epitomized the the stereotypical sales man that we all didn't want to deal with. We didn't talk about mark-ups - we dealt with MSRP, and he flat out told me that it was the only way of getting me to the dealership - basically admitting that he lied about the MSRP. Bottomline is I gave him and his manager a piece of my mind - what a waste of time ( added with options of various words that would have been bleeped on network TV). So, yes, you can see that I walked out and drove off upset - but it just made me realize even more to hold on to your principles and don't get suckered into a deal.

On our way, we remember going to Kolbe Honda in Reseda/Northridge area. We were there 2 days ago. They had the SS EX-L and SS EX. While driving, I asked my wife, why don't we stop by at Kolbe. Last Thurs when we cruised by, they offered MSRP, and no added options. We first called, and yes the SS EX and EX-L are still there. We got to to Kolbe around 430, went for a 10 minute ride.....and by 7pm we were owners of SS EX. No pain at all.

Lesson learned - know what you want - stick to it!!! We were willing to get EX or EX-L and are happy with the EX. Research research research - and thanks to this group.

Los Angeles Residents - stay away from Miller Honda in Culver City and in the Valley. They won't sell without making at least $1500 from mark-up and accessories.

Jason
'03 Honda Pilot EX Starlight Silver
'02 Mercedes Benz C-240
'96 Toyota Camry LE:3: :2:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Gap4jason, Congratulations on your new Pilot.......nice color!

For the New buyers, post and ask where the others got their Pilot at MSRP. I could have told you that I got my Pilot at SoCal at MSRP at Robertson Honda in Palmdale (Jim Maze-nice guy) because the markup in Las Vegas are at $1500-$3000. But sooner I find out that one of the Internet Sale People on 1 of the dealership in Las Vegas will sell at MSRP, and I found this out from this forum. So just ask and I am sure somebody will be able to assist you in finding the Midsize SUV of the Year (Car and Driver).

Again Congrats!
:2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the market for a black EX-L with no accessories as well. I live in La Palma, CA (near Cerritos - Norm Reeves), however they're either tacking on $1000 above MSRP or adding accessories I don't need or want. Will have to give Robertson Honda a call. Anybody else get for MSRP in Souther California?

MMM

:confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MMM - try Kolbe Honda in Reseda. The dealership is off of the 101 and Reseda Bl. The # is 1-800-735-1424. I dealt with a no pressure salesman Tom Cervelli. Fortunately, my SS EX was on the lot when my wife and I went to Kolbe that Thursday. We went home and 2 days later.....after the whole mess with Miller Honda - I went back to Kolbe and picked up our Pilot.

From the very beginning, they already told me about the MSRP no mark-up pricing. So we really just had to make a decision whether it was going to be and EX or EX-L - and we decided on the EX.

Call them first and ask for their inventory. I'll be interested to know if they have changed their policy as far as MSRP vs. mark-up.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:2:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Congratulations gap4jason. Excellent choice of color :) as vegasdude mentioned. Bias ? -- No way :2:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Congratulations gap4jason,
I hope you enjoy your Pilot for years and years and years.... etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts