Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last Thirty years or so, all my work orders had to be in upper case print. So I did not write very often.
I always got compliments on my hand writing, it was so neat and tidy.
I tried to write a Christmas card today...What the Hell, I can not write anymore.
Had to print it.
As they say, you do not use it you lose it.
Any one else falling into this issue.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Perhaps the hand writing skills can return and improve with practice. Use these skills in small steps on a daily basis.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
It's muscle memory.

One of the best ways for it to come back to you is to start writing love letters again.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's muscle memory.

One of the best ways for it to come back to you is to start writing love letters again.
Again?!? lol

And yes, I print only and my handwriting has always been terrible. I’m an IT guy, I truly don’t care to improve it. :)

Reactions: PHM

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'll just continue to print, on occasion. Never had anyone question a letter/word when I print. This is what my hand written print looks like. LOL

I type like the wind.......10-15 with gusts to 20.:eek:

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
Wow if I do that after this many years, my wife will think I have a mistress.
To her! To her, of course. Rekindle the flame.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
Taking it slow...when using pen and paper...which is still daily but when I rush... looks like a drunk spider...

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
In my first undergrad degree, a girlfriend convinced me to print when taking notes in college- and then she was right and I could read my own notes better now for studying for tests, etc. I still use cursive for my signature. It took a few weeks to get used to it, and never went back to writing in cursive.
Now they just record the lecture, some one types it up, and you pick up the 'note service' that day! I did that in my Medical Provider degree! Wished they would have done that years before that.
Apparently, they don't teach it anymore in schools either.
My sons print their names for their signature. They are now 17 and 20.

So much in done by keyboards now, even for an old guy like me!

·
Registered
9,275 Posts

I guess I'm one of the last generations to have written out my Master's thesis in cursive, then paid someone to type it up to submit it. A real museum piece now. Problem was, I didn't know how to type. I only really learned when I later hunt-and-pecked out my first book. After that the Internet came along, and the old me can't believe I can type now.

Which leads me to another point. They should be teaching proper touch typing techniques in elementary school now. I'm still super random, have to constantly be looking down at my keyboard and up at my screen, and still make tons of mistakes. Thank goodness for the edit function on the site.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
I can write wonderfully and quickly. Problem is, no one can read it. The letters are fine, but 30+ years ago I developed my own form of shorthand as taking reports from people and conducting interviews does not lend itself to writing out full words. Now I have to work to write by hand. Typing on a keyboard isn't a problem, but writing is a different story.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
My kids were taught keyboarding in school. Still have one in school- Senior in HS.

I learned in my mid 30's, on my first home computer- a Compaq- came w/ 8mb Ram!
I got a CD disc learn to type program for ~$10 and used it.
At least I use the 'home key system' OK now.
Like Pl said though, I still look a lot, hit the backspace key many times!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In my first undergrad degree, a girlfriend convinced me to print when taking notes in college- and then she was right and I could read my own notes better now for studying for tests, etc. I still use cursive for my signature. It took a few weeks to get used to it, and never went back to writing in cursive.
Now they just record the lecture, some one types it up, and you pick up the 'note service' that day! I did that in my Medical Provider degree! Wished they would have done that years before that.
Apparently, they don't teach it anymore in schools either.
My sons print their names for their signature. They are now 17 and 20.

So much in done by keyboards now, even for an old guy like me!
My two sons both have terrible cursive writing, although they can keyboard like a trooper.
I left school in grade nine, so no college for me. It was the early 80s and all foundries were closing up, my father got laid off , could not find work, I got a job at the industrial docks to help the family out. I do remember how many people moved out on the midnight moves. All my friends lost their homes and just left. It was a sad time . On a better note, I dated a College girl who became a nurse, now she makes me fix her car.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
They should be teaching proper touch typing techniques in elementary school now. I'm still super random, have to constantly be looking down at my keyboard and up at my screen, and still make tons of mistakes
I didn’t master typing on the typewriter but I was pretty nifty with my QWERTY keyboard. Too bad it’s now out of date and now I touch a screen...
D10C552F-8DDF-4556-855C-86DFC1D7E232.jpeg

·
Registered
9,275 Posts
I didn’t master typing on the typewriter but I was pretty nifty with my QWERTY keyboard. Too bad it’s now out of date and now I touch a screen... View attachment 142374
That's one form of writing my unevolved opposable thumbs will likely never adapt to. Hopefully, my kids' mutations will be passed along to my descendants.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For the last Thirty years or so, all my work orders had to be in upper case print. So I did not write very often.
I always got compliments on my hand writing, it was so neat and tidy.
I tried to write a Christmas card today...What the Hell, I can not write anymore.
Had to print it.
As they say, you do not use it you lose it.
Any one else falling into this issue.
Same here. I got great marks in cursive in elementary school. I even find it tough to read old documents like the Declaration of Independence and similar and they are beautifully written.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts