Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will not pass smogg I changed out the plugg and coils , o2 sincors , and fuel injectors, I need advice

·
Registered
308 Posts
Failed smog report should provide some information. Can't expect to pass with CEL on. Can't expect to pass with CAT or emission removal. Can't expect to pass if the Pilot is running like crap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have changed out the plugs and coils the fuel injectors, and the O2 censors . The car is running rough at take off and showing random missfire codes.
Any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
That sounds expensive what are all the possible solutions before I jump into a valve job
Run a can of Seafoam through it and say a prayer to Saint Jude. (Catholics will get this. :) )

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same codes and did everything you did plus cleaned the EGR Ports and replaced the EGR Valve and the codes still came up. I also seafoamed like someone suggested. I decided to do the valve adjustment myself cause I told myself if I messed it up then oh well cause I wouldn’t be able to drive it with my passing smog anyway. I had nothing to lose. After the valve adjustment the codes never came back. Now I just have a small EVAP leak I can’t find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same codes and did everything you did plus cleaned the EGR Ports and replaced the EGR Valve and the codes still came up. I also seafoamed like someone suggested. I decided to do the valve adjustment myself cause I told myself if I messed it up then oh well cause I wouldn’t be able to drive it with my passing smog anyway. I had nothing to lose. After the valve adjustment the codes never came back. Now I just have a small EVAP leak I can’t find.

Was the value job here I involved how many hours won't into it

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Now I just have a small EVAP leak I can’t find.
An easy and cheap thing to check first is if there is a crack in the air intake tube that gets bent when the air filter gets changed, as you can see in this video. Feel for cracks on the underside of the tube as well, especially near the clamps.

https://d2n97g4vasjwsk.cloudfront.net/2006 Honda Pilot EX 3.5L V6/Air Filter Engine - Part 1 - 480p.mp4

In fact, I make it part of my air filter replacement routine to check for cracks all along that tube each time I finish putting in a new air filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
An easy and cheap thing to check first is if there is a crack in the air intake tube that gets bent when the air filter gets changed, as you can see in this video. Feel for cracks on the underside of the tube as well, especially near the clamps.

https://d2n97g4vasjwsk.cloudfront.net/2006 Honda Pilot EX 3.5L V6/Air Filter Engine - Part 1 - 480p.mp4

In fact, I make it part of my air filter replacement routine to check for cracks all along that tube each time I finish putting in a new air filter.
Thanks. That link didn’t work but I’ll check for cracks. I changed the EVAP bypass solenoid and 2 Way valve cause that were the top 2 fixes but it still came back. I’m able to pass smog cause it takes about a month for the CEL to come back on because it’s a small leak. So I just clear the codes and drive a little before I get my smog done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was the value job here I involved how many hours won't into it
The valve job took maybe me 6-8 hours cause I was taking my time and had the FSM and watching you tube videos of how to do it. It’s not hard just needs patience. Hardest part for me was changing the spark plug tube seals!! I had trouble taking some out cause i didn’t have a tube seal puller and didn’t want to mess up the valve cover. Also putting the seals in I kept tearing them when I used a socket that looked the right size. I ended up getting fel pro tube seals which were easier to put in.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That sounds expensive what are all the possible solutions before I jump into a valve job
Valve adjustment is a recommendation based on mileage found on the maintenance schedule. If it solves some of your problem it's money well spent. What brand O2 sensors did you use?

·
Registered
53 Posts
clean your egr valve, happened to me like a 2 months ago, i stopped and boom started running like crap, removed and cleaned egr with lucas parts cleaner and no more issues of that nature...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts