Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, where to begin ... Tuesday I stumble onto Edmund's discussion forums, and I find the perfect price at a dealer within driving distance. Send an email, receive a response, make a phone call and have a deal done within 20 minutes.

Now the fun begins - wife has to decide between Nighthawk Black Pearl and Sage Brush Pearl. She wanted NBP, I suggest Sage Brush. I solicited the board's advice and she finally decides that she wants NBP. "Are you sure?" "Positive!" So, I order the NBP on Wednesday and arrange to pickup the Pilot today at 5:00 pm. We leave work early, make the two hour drive and arrive at the dealer on time.

Now the fun begins...

As we pull into the parking lot what does she spy? A Sage Pilot. "I want the Sage."

"What?"

"I like the Sage better."

"Well, it's your decision, but don't you want to at least look at the black Pilot before you decide?"

Anyway, after 30 agonizing minutes, she decides that she wants the Sage Pilot. Of course, the Sage isn't prepped, washed or ready for delivery. Our extremely patient salesman offers to have the Sage one ready within 45 minutes. We go off to diner, come back and now go through the delivery process. I could have left earlier but wanted to make sure that she was okay. Finally, at 8:00 she puts the key in the ignition and drives off.

Now, the really, really fun part begins.

I am right ahead of her in my 02 Acura TL. As I head back home the sky opens, rain begins to pour down and lighting is dancing all around. After about an hour I stop for gas. Once I get back on the turnpike I settle into the last 30 minutes drive, nice and comfortable and then ...

right in the middle of the freakin' road is a deer.

WHAM!

I nailed the deer right in the front-center of the car. I pull over and the hood is pushed up, smashed in, with blood and tissue over the front end. Fortunately, the car is driveable. I hobble home with a totally wrecked 18 mos. old TL 7+ hours after we left. :3:

At least the wife got the color she wanted...

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Oh my, Mr. Bond... that was some nasty bad luck you had there with that deer!!!!!! Bummer on your TL -- but at least you escaped unscathed!!!!!! Sorry to hear about your bitter/sweet experience of picking up the Pilot, but crippling your Acura....... :(

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Oh NO ex007! I can't believe it! How far ahead of you was your wife in her beautiful new SAGE :eek: Pilot?

So glad you're OK but so sorry you had such an ordeal. With the deer that is. I can totally understand your wifes dilema with the NBP vs SAGE thing. It's a woman thing. Color is the MOST important thing afterall... HA!

Is Acura repairable at all?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Whew, after I read there was a deer in the middle of the road, I thought you were going to say your wife hit it with the new Pilot. I'm sorry to hear about your mishap but it sounds like your o.k., hope all goes well with getting the TL back on the road.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ziploc said:

I think that photo has got to be the all-time nightmare deer accident picture......
Funny thing is that after I hit the deer and watched it fly like Rudolph through the air, I actually thought of that picture - especially when it looked like the deer was coming down on my winshield. Fortunately, the deer missed me on the way down ... only to get run over by the SUV behind me.

Oh well, at least I had a better day than the deer...

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
ex007 said:

Funny thing is that after I hit the deer and watched it fly like Rudolph through the air, I actually thought of that picture - especially when it looked like the deer was coming down on my winshield. Fortunately, the deer missed me on the way down ... only to get run over by the SUV behind me.

Oh well, at least I had a better day than the deer...
Our hidden cameras catch up with the paramedics as the deer was transported to the Emergency Room... ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ex007 said:
[snip]I am right ahead of her in my 02 Acura TL. As I head back home the sky opens, rain begins to pour down and lighting is dancing all around. After about an hour I stop for gas. Once I get back on the turnpike I settle into the last 30 minutes drive, nice and comfortable and then ...

right in the middle of the freakin' road is a deer.

WHAM!

I nailed the deer right in the front-center of the car. I pull over and the hood is pushed up, smashed in, with blood and tissue over the front end. Fortunately, the car is driveable. I hobble home with a totally wrecked 18 mos. old TL 7+ hours after we left. :3:

At least the wife got the color she wanted...
whewwww...for a minute there, I thought something happened to the Pilot. Just Kidding!!! Seriously, I'm really sorry to hear about your accident in your Acura. That does suck and boy, what a day to have it happen too. I hope all works out for you in the end.

Living up here, it's not uncommon to run into a deer. A couple of my buddies have in the past and I came very, very close, just a couple of years ago. Both my buddies' cars were considered a write-off and luckily for them, both their insurance policies had this "new car replacement clause", which gave them a new car, without any depreciation or pro-rated penalty because the accident in which their cars were wrote-off occurred in the first two years of having purchased it.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Northern Virginia is overrun with the darn things. Bambi was one thing, but it's getting a little ridiculous. It seems during the winter that at least once a week on Interstate 66 from Manassas to I-495, you'd drive by the bloody remains of another deer accident.

Which reminds me-- What's the difference between Beer Nuts and Deer Nuts?

Beer Nuts are $1.69, and Deer Nuts are under a buck.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
jay said:
Northern Virginia is overrun with the darn things. Bambi was one thing, but it's getting a little ridiculous. It seems during the winter that at least once a week on Interstate 66 from Manassas to I-495, you'd drive by the bloody remains of another deer accident.

Which reminds me-- What's the difference between Beer Nuts and Deer Nuts?

Beer Nuts are $1.69, and Deer Nuts are under a buck.

Oh too funny! GREAT segue, jay!! :2:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Whoa...

just goes to show that you can't plan for everything...

I think you'll be happy with the sagebrush, though. Either color is sharp but the sage is really unique (even though I am spotting them with more regularity now).

ex007, weren't you also considering the MDX? What ended up tipping the scales in favor of the Pilot? Obviously, it sounds like you got a nice deal on the EX and were not really interested in leather, so you saved a lot of $$. Was that the main thing?

I know there are others out there still on the fence trying to way MDX vs. Pilot. I ran the comparison tool and was surprised to find the 5-year cost on the Touring MDX (with both DVD and 2nd gen NAVI) was only $4K higher than the Pilot EX-L Navi. Of course the Touring MDX with NAVI/DVD also has moonroof, heated seats and mirrors, Vehicle Stability Assist, integrated fog lights, upgraded interior, and 200 watt 8-speaker Bose system.

No way to beat the Pilot in LX or EX trim... but a loaded EX-L Navi Pilot... well... now I'm back to rethinking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts